ernie f

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ernie f

Re: ernie f

Post by ernie f »

28th June 2019

10-11 am, Binswood, Full Sun, 19 degrees

I added a Sp Wd, S Skip and Cinnabar to my list of yesterday at this site.

The Cinnabar had almost completely lost a wing.
Cinnabar with only one wing.JPG
Also a Sicus ferrugineus fly
Sicus ferrugineus fly.JPG
11-11.30 am, Broxhead, Full Sun, 20 degrees

My Silver-studded Blue survey continues. Last year at this time we had already passed the peak in the lek (346 on 23rd June) but this year we were still clearly on the up-slope toward peak. I counted 54 in the lek - only 3 were female, and one mating pair.
P1090284.JPG
All were in fine fettle but the increase is slow and I cannot see how the numbers can ramp up to last year's peak. The mating pair had an intrusion of a rival. In response they both fluttered their wings at him.
P1090297.JPG
11.30-12 noon, Alice Holt, Full Sun, 22 degrees

5 SW Frit, 4 Red Ad, 5 Ringlet, 1 Purplestreak, 6 L Skip, 1 S Skip, 1 Comma, 1 White Ad.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

29th June 2019, 6 - 9.30 am, Browndown, Full Sun, 18-23 degrees

The hottest day of the year so far – it peaked at 31 degrees in Alton mid-afternoon. Phew what a scorcher!

Of course we were pre-warned about this so I decided to go very early. I arrived at 6 am, and it was already 18 degrees!

Browndown as you probably know is a prime Purple Hairstreak site because the coastal oaks are stunted here and so the canopy is very low. I parked in the car park beside the diving museum and walked into the reserve from there. I took a collapsible stool with me. This has two advantages. While you wait for the action you can sit in the shade and when the action begins you can stand on the stool to gain a bit of height!

First of all, the butterfly count: 1 L White, 1 L Skip, 1 S Skip, 2 Painted Lady, 7 Purple Hairstreak.
I only saw 7 Purple Hairstreak at a site that can contain hundreds because within a few minutes of arriving I found what must have been a master tree for them. There were 5 Purplestreaks on this one tree, 4 male and 1 female I think.

Next the side shot. It’s a bit like a stage set with a spotlight on the main actor!
q.JPG
Being early meant that they were at times willing to open their wings for me.
b.JPG
e.JPG
d.JPG
f.JPG
h.JPG
i.JPG
j.JPG
k.JPG
r.JPG
s.JPG
And I was able to get some great close-ups which was my main reason for being here.
m.JPG
o.JPG
p.JPG
Also some unusual shots, such as this one from behind – you can see between its closed wings.
z1.JPG
But I think what surprised me the most was the actual physical combat going on between males. There were as I say four males I think and they were sparring in pairs for awhile, but on three separate occasions while I watched they grappled directly face-to-face for some considerable time. I have never seen this behaviour before. It frequently appeared to get quite violent.
fight (1).JPG
fight (2).JPG
fight (4).JPG
fight (3).JPG
fight (5).JPG
fight (6).JPG
fight (7).JPG
There never seemed to be a victor though. Adversaries often stopped their fighting only to feed side by side for a while.

The heat started to build up and it touched 23 degrees. They all suddenly stopped. Nothing moved. I saw two of them close together – they had orientated themselves so as to be on the shady side of their respective leaves. The leaves acted like butterfly parasols! And there they stayed. So I left them to it. It was only 9 am!

On the way back I took in the scenery which is quite wonderful with some beautiful flowers such as Yellow Horned Poppy, Vipers Bugloss and Rosebay Willowherb in some abundance.
P1090816.JPG
P1090829.JPG
Even the Sea Kale was interesting.
P1090822.JPG
Then half a boat went by in the Solent. Weird. I wonder where the other half had gone?
P1090813.JPG
A pretty good few hours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Fed up being bitten by midges and ticks? Or stinging yourself on nettles, Or what about snagging your clothes on brambles? Wish their was a solution to your woes?

NOW THERE IS.

Introducing the new Flutterby Mk I protection suit.
P1090835.JPG
No more sprays that don’t work. Just slip this on and you can get on with your butterflying experience without hindrance.

Price is only £199,999 (post and delivery extra). Hurry while stocks last (1 remaining).
Ernie F
kevling

Post by kevling »

Ernie,

A very entertaining post from you today. Your anti bite suit is a little out of my price range though. I'll see fi I can pick one up at a car boot sale :lol:

Those Purplestreak photos are a delight and capture some very interesting behaviour, something I haven't seen before.

Regards
Kev
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Whilst the anti-bite suit certainly looks effective I'm not sure how easy it would be to get down for some low shots although I reckon it would easily fit a tripod on it :wink: Cracking set of Purps :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D and some really interesting behaviour - I've seen male blues competing and they seem to do it aerially but nothing like this :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous Purple Hairstreak reportage, ernie. That's a fascinating sequence of behaviour shots you've posted.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Kev, Wurzel, Dave - Last year I saw hundreds of Purple Hairstreak - it was a great year for them, but not once did I see this behaviour. I guess it usually happens in the higher canopy and only at places like Browndown where the canopy is low is it possible to witness it.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

30th June 2019, Alice Holt, 9.30-10.30 am, overcast with the odd bit of sun, 18 degrees

1 Wt Ad, 4 Red Ad, 2 P Lady, 1 Comma, 3 S Skip, 11 L Skip, 1 L White.
Suddenly the Ringlet emergence has erupted. I am sure they outnumbered the M Brown here today.
a.JPG
b.JPG
I found a pair in-cop. The grass they were perching on was blowing about in the breeze so I held onto it while taking my pictures of them and what do you know, next thing they had walked onto my finger! They seemed to like it there too. I had a hell of a difficulty getting them back off again safely.
c.JPG
d.JPG
e.JPG
f.JPG
m.JPG
Also - a Painted Lady that was in the greenery around our driveway two days ago seems to like it here. It was here again today.
Ernie F
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great Purple Hairstreak shots, Ernie.
Personally I like the first image, which shows how striking the colours/markings can be,
when caught in the right light. You did well to get male and female in one session.

A mrgreen is in order! :mrgreen: .
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"They seemed to like it there too. I had a hell of a difficulty getting them back off again safely." I bet you had difficulty knowing where to look Ernie :oops: :wink: Fair play those are great shots especially as they're twofers - they'd fit in my "In cop" and "In the hand" collections :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Trevor - Until you mentioned it I didn't realise my luck on getting male and female pics from the same tree.
Wurzel - It did seem odd to have a pair of copulating butterflies on my finger - but I quickly got over it when I found I could get close-up shots, albeit with my camera in one hand and butterflies in the other!
Ernie F
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! ernie, love the Purple Hair Streak shot's ,Fantastic :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Thanks, Goldie - I consider myself very lucky in being there in the right place at the right time.

1st July 2019, 10.30-11.30 am, Odiham Common, 50% sun, 18 degrees

First the bad news. My main reason for coming to this site is for White-letter Hairstreak. I saw none today but that is not my bad news. They may come along soon. No my bad news is the state of the Elms here. In the three years I have been visiting this common they have been in decline but this year is noticeably worse than last year. I did not even need to take before and after pictures - many were VERY bad, losing not just tips but entire branches were wilting.

On the plus side I have just learnt of a project where a new, hardier Elm variety has just been planted in Basingstoke close to where WLH's have been seen recently.

Today I did see some great things though. An Essex Skipper hung around long enough to have his mug-shot taken.
Essex Skipper on Odiham Common (13).JPG
My first ever Forester moth. Fantastic!
Forester Moth (4).JPG
Forester Moth (1).JPG
Forester Moth (7).JPG
Forester Moth (12).JPG
And a Southern Hawker.
Southern Hawker with all abdominal segments blue - Odiham Common - July 2019 (3).JPG
Now my book says there is a rare type that has all blue abdominal markings, usually only the ones toward the tail are blue. Is it me or do I see all blue markings on the abdomen here? Maybe it's just wishful-thinking.
Southern Hawker with all abdominal segments blue - Odiham Common - July 2019 (2).JPG
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking view of the Essex Ernie - that's definitely not a Smessex 8) :D There does seem to be some blue on those markings Ernie :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

2nd July 2019, 9-9.30 am, Broxhead, 95% sun, 18 degrees

SSB survey this morning. There were 101 in total, of which 8 were female and there was one mating pair. This is around double the numbers of my last survey day on 28th June. It seems they are still on the increase whereas around this time last year they were around the same number but on the decline. As a consequence last year there were far more females than so far this year – by a factor of 7, but this is a function of where we are on the population curve – I am expecting the female numbers to increase soon.

The mating pair were – well – how can I put this delicately? Hmm. I can’t so I’ll just say it - they were thrusting! I have seen SSB’s mating before many times but have never witnessed this. They weren’t messing about either, it was definite and repeated for some time and it appeared to be the female doing all the work.
P1100145.JPG
P1100149.JPG
10-12 noon, Alice Holt – The Straits Enclosure, cloud increasing, 19 degrees

And the same thing goes for here too as far as the late and slow increase in numbers goes. The SW Frits and White Ad numbers are gradually increasing, I saw 6 of both today. Last year my count of Purple Emperors had already climbed into double figures here but still so far this year – none.

Also seen here today, S&L Skip, MB&R, L&MWhite, Red Ad, P Lady, Comma, Pstreak, two of the latter came down momentarily but did not stop for a pic.

Got some nice close-ups of the SWFrits and a backside shot too.
P1100205.JPG
P1100232.JPG
P1100238.JPG
Sleaford

One last bit of info. I met a guy who put me onto this. There is a large mature hedge of Elm along a path between The Straits Enclosure and the garden centre next to Sleaford crossroads. I checked it for WLH’s but I saw none. I’ll give it another go in a few days time.
Sleaford Elm Hedge.JPG
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

3rd July 2019, 9-11 am, Alice Holt – Straits Enclosure, Full sun then clouding to 80%, 18 degrees

The White Ad and SW Frit counts are going up rapidly now. Here is the full set:

10 Wt Ad, 15 SW Frit, 3 Pstreak, 1 P lady, 1 L White, 2 Comma, 1 S White, 6 Red Ad

Also MBrown, Ringlet, L&S Skip but not counted. L Skips had to be between 20 and 30 though.

Yesterday I met Mark here who told me he had seen a black version of the White Admiral. I came across it today and got close. The ab obliterae seems the closest fit but I bow to other’s better judgement on this.
a.JPG
a1.JPG
b.JPG
c.JPG
d.JPG
e.JPG
f.JPG
As I was taking my pics of the ab I could not believe it but a Purple Hairstreak landed on the foliage directly beside me! I didn’t know what to do. Continue with the ab or divert my camera to the Hairstreak. I chose the Hairstreak.
g.JPG
But both butterflies then flew off.

I saw Mark again here today and he too had pics from his previous encounter with the ab White Ad but his had wing chunks missing. We compared and worked out there must be at least three individuals of this aberration here at the same time.

Try as we might we together could not spot a Purple Emperor. He said he had seen one at Abbots Wood Enclosure yesterday so guess where I went next?

3rd July 2019, 11-11.30 am, Alice Holt – Abbots Wood Enclosure, cloud 80%, 18 degrees

1 P Lady, 1 Pstreak, 2 Wt Ad, 1 M White, 1 Comma, 1 Red Ad, 1 L White

… and then two Purple Emperors flying low at each other. They split, one flew off but the other landed on the ground. My first of the year and it had landed!
h.JPG
i.JPG
j.JPG
The Marbled White held his position while I photographed him from underneath.
k.JPG
Finally, a not-very-well Shrew.
l.JPG
Well, dead really to be honest.

But nevertheless it was one of those pretty-good days.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Ernie :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) I wouldn't know where to begin with the compliments/envious comments :lol: I think my favourite has to be the underside shot of the White Admiral - really interesting looking individual :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Ernie
Glad you got your Emperor - well earned!
I think there are possibly four obliterae including yours and Pauline’s and possibly a nigrina- completely black - too which I haven’t managed to catch up with.
Apologies for posting photos on your diary but I thought you might be interested?
Attachments
26B5639F-4CDA-4BA7-BECE-654CE58FBCB0.jpeg
D5A8BA5B-289A-4D74-8AEC-48F7CED06A1A.jpeg
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel - Thanks - I liked the underside of the ab White Ad too - lovely colouration.

Mark - It was good to see you again and to get some of your valuable knowledge on Purple Emperors and White Admirals. I do not mind you or anyone else posting pics on my PD. The more the merrier I say, especially when it is on such an interesting subject as aberrations.
Ernie F
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Playing catch-up again, Ernie - your PH photos are amazing; it's odd how the protagonists go back to their corners between rounds :lol: and as for the close-up of the Ringlet's eye...! stunning!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Janet - thanks. Regarding the Purplestreaks wrestling, there is no referee to break them up either. Only they know when they are finished! :lol:
Ernie F

Return to “Personal Diaries”