Greenwings: Italy - Piedmont Alps, 13th - 22nd June 2019

David M

Greenwings: Italy - Piedmont Alps, 13th - 22nd June 2019

Post by David M »

The Piedmont Alps, in the far north west corner of Italy is a region of great wildlife diversity and breathtaking landscapes.

Eight full days in this largely unspoiled part of Europe was enough to see around 100 butterfly species, with the time being split between the Valle Gesso and the Bassa Valle Stura, which are located close to the border with France.

Here is a sample of the fabulous scenery on offer:
1Habitat5(1).jpg
1Habitat1(2).jpg
1Habitat3(2).jpg
1Habitat7(2).jpg
1Habitat9(2).jpg
1Habitat11(2).jpg
Last edited by David M on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Re: Greenwings: Italy - Piedmont Alps, 13th - 22nd June 2019

Post by David M »

The main reason for this tour was to see the relict population of Scarce Fritillaries, which was only discovered around 15 years ago, and to provide the Italian butterfly conservation body with information regarding their range and numbers.

I was exceedingly fortunate to enjoy the company of both Martin Warren and Simon Spencer for this trip, which turned out to be quite spectacular, with the hail and heavy thunderstorms on the first Saturday giving way to a week of warm sunshine, meaning that the vegetation remained verdant and lush throughout.
1Habitat2(2).jpg
1Habitat4(2).jpg
1Habitat6(2).jpg
1Habitat10(2).jpg
1Habitat8(2).jpg
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Looking forward to this one David - it is an area that I have considered visiting on a few occasions. Scarce Fritillary is a stunning species, hope you found plenty!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

With that scenery we are off to a good start David.
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, both. Yes, this is a beautiful area and Scarce Fritillaries were definitely not scarce!
David M

Post by David M »

It wouldn't be right to begin with anything other than the main reason why we came - Scarce Fritillary.

This area of NW Italy is something of an isolated outpost for this species. Whilst it is present in a few parts of both northern and central France, it is absent from the rest of Europe west of southern Germany.

I'm pleased to say that not only did we see it at the known sites we had, but it was also present in a few other places too, often in good numbers.

It is a truly beautiful insect:
2ScarceFrups3(1).jpg
It also endears itself by its behaviour - very approachable and interested in we humans. This one spent over 20 minutes on one of the group's rucksacks:
2ScarceFruns(1).jpg
Last edited by David M on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

It's hard to know how its presence in this small area went unnoticed for so long, although once we travelled more than 15 miles in any direction away from the base it was absent. Perhaps it thrives due to the old-fashioned means by which hay meadows are successionally cut round here, with this work often being done via fairly antiquated means and staggered over an extended period rather than all being cut at roughly the same time.

It has a strong fondness for damp spots, and many were seen lazily puddling wherever there was moisture on the tracks or at the roadside, although several were also found holding territory in the meadows nearby these places, and behaving very similarly to the beckeri form of Marsh Fritillary I regularly see in the Pyrenees, i.e. perching on terminal leaves and flying out to intercept intruders.
2ScarceFrups2(1).jpg
I certainly hope the information we pass on to the Italian authorities will help to conserve this extremely appealing little butterfly in its isolation here in Piedmont.
2ScarceFrups1(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

I saw five 'lifers' on this trip, and three of them were Fritillaries.

Obviously, maturna was one, but there was another that I hadn't expected to encounter, and I would have ignored it but for the promptings of one of my travelling companions, Simon Spencer.

In a lush meadow replete with many different types of butterfly, he pointed out Nickerl's Fritillary. It was so clearly different that I felt a little embarrassed at not having noticed it:
2Nickerlsups(1).jpg
This is another species that I don't see on my regular summertime travels in France, so it was a bonus to come across it here:
2Nickerlsuns(1).jpg
meiga

Post by meiga »

In 2017 I went to Bulgaria on a butterfly trip and we saw lots of Scarce Fritillaries at two sites. Like your image on the rucksack at one stage we had twelve Scarce Fritillaries on one of our groups rucksack. They also landed on bare legs and arms, taking salts. As you say, very easily approached.
Scarce, Nickerl's and Assmann's Fritillaries were also "lifers" for me.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Meiga. Yes, maturna is a special species for many reasons, and it adds to the enjoyment when they are so content to interact with us like this.
David M

Post by David M »

The other Fritillary that I saw for the first time ever was Lesser Spotted Fritillary. I had always wondered how easy it would be to distinguish them from their close cousin, Spotted Fritillary, but in reality it wasn't difficult.

The first one I saw was immediately very different to the eye than didyma, with much larger triangles at the hindwing margins, connected to the wing edges, and a generally more 'disordered' look to the forewing spots:
2LSFups1(1).jpg
This fresher individual seen later in the trip was the best of the bunch:
2LSFups2(1).jpg
The underside discal band was also slightly more erratic:
2LSFuns(1).jpg
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Wow David - the hindwing marginal chevrons on your male Lesser-spotted are extremely acute! Very diagnostic. Congrats on your three fritillary life-ticks!
David M

Post by David M »

petesmith wrote:Wow David - the hindwing marginal chevrons on your male Lesser-spotted are extremely acute! Very diagnostic. Congrats on your three fritillary life-ticks!
Thanks, Pete. It can be a bit alarming to see new species of butterfly but Lesser Spotted Fritillary was a relatively benign newcomer, looking very different to its close relatives.

It also helps when someone you're with has experience of them before.
David M

Post by David M »

There were plenty of other species of Fritillary about. High Browns were very common, including quite a few of the cleodoxa form, which I foolishly neglected to photograph. Here's a nominative form:
2HBF(1).jpg
Queen of Spain Fritillary popped up just about everywhere in small numbers:
2QoS(1).jpg
Marbled Fritillaries were just emerging during the trip and were mint fresh:
2MarbFr(1).jpg
This Weaver's Fritillary looked as though it hadn't long emerged either:
2Weavers(1).jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

HI David. Brilliant to see that isolated population of maturna. You may or may not know this is regarded by some as a distinct species, Euphydryas italica (see https://www.zobodat.at/pdf/Atalanta_46_0111-0116.pdf). Leraut suggests the species might also fly in France but so far it is only known from Piedmont.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, Guy. Simon mentioned all this. I suppose if it's been separated from all other colonies for a long time it will inevitably have diverged somewhat.

Interesting link you posted too (although my German is pretty ordinary). I noted the Italian race seemed darker; in fact, several of the males seen had such strong black markings that the silver was barely there at all!
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalids - Fritillaries

1. Silver Washed Fritillary
2. Dark Green Fritillary
3. High Brown Fritillary
4. Niobe Fritillary
5. Queen of Spain Fritillary
6. Marbled Fritillary
7. Pearl Bordered Fritillary
8. Titania's Fritillary
9. Weaver's Fritillary
10. Scarce Fritillary
11. Glanville Fritillary
12. Knapweed Fritillary
13. Lesser Spotted Fritillary
14. Spotted Fritillary
15. False Heath Fritillary
16. Meadow Fritillary
17. Nickerl's Fritillary
18. Heath Fritillary

*A couple of Twin Spot Fritillaries were recorded, but neither were seen by me.
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalids - Aristocrats...

Unsurprisingly, Painted Ladies were easily the commonest in this group. What's more, they built significantly in numbers as the trip wore on to the point where they were practically all over the place. I expect this to have a knock on effect further north, so we may well see stupendous numbers in the UK over the next few weeks.

The odd Red Admiral & Comma would appear, whilst Small Tortoiseshells were, as ever, regular companions on the higher ground.

We saw a handful of Camberwell Beauties too. This one was nectaring, which is not something I've ever seen before. Usually, when I encounter this species, it is either flying purposefully to some other place or is settled on the ground near damp spots:
3Camb(1).jpg
Now, few butterflies trump a Camberwell, but we were lucky enough to find two Poplar Admirals on the trip. It was hard to get close to either, but I managed a few shots from distance:
3Poplar(1).jpg
3Poplaruns(1).jpg
A small number of Southern White Admirals were seen, but on two occasions we found White Admiral flying in tandem with its close relative. This is not a common occurrence in this part of Europe:
3WhiteAd(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalids - Aristocrats

19. Red Admiral
20. Painted Lady
21. Small Tortoiseshell
22. Comma
23. Camberwell Beauty
24. Poplar Admiral
25. Southern White Admiral
26. White Admiral

*A Peacock was seen by another member of the group, a rare sighting in this part of Europe.
David M

Post by David M »

Riodinidae

Pleased to say there were Dukes at almost ever place we visited....and a few Duchesses:
5DoB(1).jpg

Return to “Trip Reports”