Jack Harrison

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Jack Harrison

Post by David M »

I've recently taken a fresh look at your site, Jack. I love the scenery and the lack of people!! You sure are blessed, particularly when you get a fine day....and 14th May 2018 looked perfect! :)

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The 14th May pictures were of Avielochan near Aviemore, allegedly a locailty for Slavonian Grebes but I didn't see any that day (I see them at another loch near Inverenss). But Avielochan does have breeding Goldeneyes as well as a rapidly growing population of Greylag Geese; these are not entirely welcome. They are thought to be genuine wild birds and not escapes. On the larger Lochindorb (famous for its Black-throated Divers) I estimated some 2,000 Greyalgs moulting one day in mid-summer. Apparently, Greyalgs are a real pest on Orkney - I certainly saw plenty there when I visited in early 2017.

Yes the huperson* population density is low - well it is very easy to get away from the crowds.

*huperson is correct as human is gender specific and thus not PC these days. You heard it here first.

Jack

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Jack Harrison wrote: Yes the huperson* population density is low - well it is very easy to get away from the crowds.

*huperson is correct as human is gender specific and thus not PC these days. You heard it here first.

Jack
Sorry to be pedantic, Jack, but strictly speaking even huperSON is gender specific. Surely it should be "huperCHILD"?

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:
Jack Harrison wrote: Yes the huperson* population density is low - well it is very easy to get away from the crowds.

Jack
Sorry to be pedantic, Jack, but strictly speaking even huperSON is gender specific. Surely it should be "huperCHILD"?

Dave
LOL! This exchange could go on and on..... :)

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

First butterfly activity 2019.

My box of chrysalises (whites various) was transferred from the shed to the fridge where temperature circa 4C/5C. The reason for not leaving them outside is that experience has shown that they often emerge too early - doesn't happen if kept in fridge until early May.

All chrysalises looked healthy today. No signs of mould on the twigs (for climbing up after emergence)

I remain healthy enough myself but having just become an octogenarian, I have to anticipate that I won't go on for ever. I have left instructions on the chrysalis box just in case..... :x

Jack
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Have a happy New Year Jack! :D I reckon the safest thing to do when referring to people is to use Homo sapiens as that is gender neutral...alternatively you could rebel and put it down to silly nonsense that will fall out of fashion within a few years :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Wurzel: I reckon the safest thing to do when referring to people is to use Homo sapiens as that is gender neutral...alternatively you could rebel and put it down to silly nonsense that will fall out of fashion within a few years :wink: :lol:
Must not forget the sub species Homo non-sapiens aka Homo politicus

Jack
jenks

Post by jenks »

Wurzel wrote; ".alternatively you could rebel and put it down to silly nonsense that will fall out of fashion within a few years" .

Oh I do wish ! Have a good New Year and good butterfly-ing 2019 everyone.

Jenks.
David M

Post by David M »

I have to anticipate that I won't go on for ever. I have left instructions on the chrysalis box just in case...
Very commendable of you, Jack…..although I have no doubt those instructions won’t be required!
Happy New Year to you! :)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I had said
I have to anticipate that I won't go on for ever. I have left instructions on the chrysalis box just in case...
David replied
Very commendable of you, Jack…..although I have no doubt those instructions won’t be required!
Happy New Year to you! :)
Ah! it's an Annual Standing Order not due to be cancelled until at least 2039.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:Ah! it's an Annual Standing Order not due to be cancelled until at least 2039.
:) :lol: :)
Jack Harrison

Northern Brown Argus

Post by Jack Harrison »

No reaction to a posting I made on the species specific page so trying here.

I plan to return north (mainly A1) on or about 3 / 4 July after a Purple Emperor odyssey in Fermyn Woods.

The Burnmnouth/Eyemouth area appeals for Northern Brown Argus. For this 80 year old who struggles on slopes, rough ground and long hikes, how easy is say the Partanhall site? Are there any others that I might find easy to visit? It is many years since I last saw NBA (30+)

I’m assuming that early July would be a suitable time?

I do in fact live near the south coast of the Moray Firth. Any suggestions for NBA in this area?

Jack
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Cannot help, Jack, but one of the problems with the 'new' approach to diaries is that entries, other than the owner's, don't appear in the 'Recents' list. I've only seen NBA at Arnside Knott and those aren't the real white-spot version!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Jack, my advice would be to drop IAC (Iain Cowe) a message. What he doesn't know about the east coast populations isn't worth knowing! He was most helpful when I went to tick them off two years ago.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Hi Jack,
I have seen NBA at Grantown on Spey and near Aviemore in the past (2005?). Both not far from your home. I will dig out my old notes over the next few days and PM you. Neither site was difficult to reach in terms of length of walk or steep slopes. In fact one was by a main road. Hopefully both sites still remain undeveloped.
I also believe they are fairly easy at the entrance to RSPB Insh Marshes near the car park but not looked myself.

Dave
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Thank you so much Dave (Brown). Yes Grantown and Aviemore are quite close.

Looking forward to the PM and then you can have my e-mail address.

Jack
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Hi Jack,
Have sent you a PM re Grantown.

Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Jack ,
Just been flicking through the "May sightings " section and noticed you,d asked for a plant ID , I don,t know if you had any responses ,the small low growing white flowered plant along a sea dyke , I believe is Common Scurvy Grass (Cochlearia officianalis ) ,if not possibly one of the other Scurvy grasses . Regards Allan.W.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Some of my May entries would have been better in my personal diary so minor apologies for cluttering up that thread.

Thanks Allan for the Scurvy Grass i/d.

And to Dave Brown, thanks about the Northern Brown Argus info at Grantown on Spey. I had lost your PM for some reason but it has just come to light (?) That site at Grantown might have been lost due to a mini-heritage railway museum project. Old quarries near Tomintoul though are still promising.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Is there a more bizarre hobby?

I collect a few Orange Tip eggs each year. Then as I need more foodplant (usually Hedge Garlic), inevitably I accidentally get more early-stage Orange Tips. I just stand the cut plants in pots of water on a window ledge.

It is almost impossible to count just how many I have. My wife – who is tolerant but not in truth a great butterfly enthusiast – does a morning check and has a knack of finding caterpillars that I have overlooked. Many of these are soon to pupate so need to be caged in a closed box otherwise they are apt to wander to obscure locations within the house.

I am reminded of the late Tony Valletta https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Valletta
I got to know him during my Air Force days when I would often work in Malta for short periods. I once visited his house and met his wife. She could speak no English but managed to covey her minor dislike at regularly finding large Swallowtail caterpillars around the house pointing out some in various places in the kitchen :shock:

Happy days.

Jack

Return to “Personal Diaries”