Norfolk Broads Advice sought

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Brianch

Norfolk Broads Advice sought

Post by Brianch »

HI
I will be making a trip from Northumberland to the Broads next Saturday (15th) specifically to find and photograph the swallowtail.and wondered if anyone had any advice as to which would be the best site or in which order to start. I have in mind Strumpshaw, Catfield, How Hill and Hickling. I am aware that Strumpshaw is RSPB and Catfield is BC. Any suggestions gratefully received with thanks

Brian
bugboy

Re: Norfolk Broads Advice sought

Post by bugboy »

As long as the weather is on your side Strumpshaw is pretty much a nailed on dead cert to get the tick. By next weekend it will be coming towards the end of their flight period but this weeks forcast of wet and windy weather may play into your hands, having delayed some of the later emergents. Finding the Swallowtails is easy, just look for a gaggle of photographers! The downside of Strumpshaw is that it can get VERY busy, particularly at the weekend, and for me takes the gloss of seeing such an iconic species.

I've visited How Hill (3 years ago) and Hickling (last weekend). Both much quieter places. You have to hunt for them a bit more but they are around. The visitor centre at Hickling were very helpful at directing me to the hotspots.

Hope that helps and good luck :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
kevling

Post by kevling »

Brian,

I visited Strumpshaw Fen this week and saw five Swallowtails in the two hours I spent there.
A number of people congregate outside the RSPB visitor centre as they have some nectar rich plants in a raised bed. If a Swallowtail chooses this spot it can get very busy with photographers battling to get in the prime position. Worse at weekends though. I went on Monday and visitor numbers were low.

The favoured spot on my visit was close the old doctors house. Park you car and then backtrack up the lane for about 100 yards. The footpath goes off on your left. After 300 meters you have the doctors house on your right. A further 50 yards on to the right a wildflower meadow stretched up hill. I saw two or three Swallowtails here.

Just before you reach this meadow you can cross the railway lien to your left and enter the reserve. Along the first few hundred yards of this path is a reliable spot for them too.

Enjoy and good luck

Regards Kev
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Brian
Based on its popularity, I assume that Strumpshaw is a reliable site. However, I have never visited partly because of its reputation for crowds but also I have never been let down by the other sites as long as the sun shines. I saw 13 flying strongly at various points around Hickling yesterday afternoon although I suspect that there was some double counting. As long as you get some sunshine, you should see Swallotails flying next weekend.
Photographs can be more difficult they fly with purpose and really cover the ground at speed often over reed beds and ditches. Chasing after them is not recommended. It is worth hanging around patches of Red Campion, Ragged Robin or Iris and see what turns up. A few years ago, whilst enjoying a pint of Wherry, I saw them feeding in the pub garden at Hickling. When feeding you can often get pretty close.
I am a regular at Hickling NWT and agree with Bugboy that the staff are very helpful.
Good luck with your trip, The Broads are very special.
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Hi Brian,

I spent much of yesterday at Strumpshaw. While I certainly agree with the others that the crowds were frustrating at times, there is a key point which goes in its favour against some of the other options. Specifically, that's the provision of rich nectar resources which the Swallowtails seem to respond to - both the nectar garden outside the visitor's centre and especially the Doctor's garden as described by kevling. I saw plenty of Swallowtails on the wider reserve, but these nectar beds were exclusively the places where I was able to take good photos.

So, if you are hoping to take photos, I would probably recommend doing Strumpshaw early on Sunday morning (if you're staying the night, and weather permitting). Yesterday the Swallowtails were active and nectaring well before 9am. Once the crowds build too much, you could move on to one of the other sites with some nice photos already in the bag.
Brianch

Post by Brianch »

Thanks very much bugboy,Kevling,Wolfson and CallumMac for your detailed advice, I take it on board as they say and hope for sunshine on the day and will report back as to success or otherwise

Best Wishes
Brian
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Brian,

I can't add much to what the other have said above about Strumpshaw although it is probably telling that after calling in for a couple of hours on our way to our B&B by Hickling last year that we did not return there during the four days we were in Norfolk. Just too busy for my liking.
Apart from Strumpshaw I also managed to photograph Swallowtails at Hickling Broad and How Hill.
Hickling Broad is a large reserve and the Swallowtails fly actively all over but the staff at the visitor center are very helpful and will direct you to the favoured spots, which can vary year on year.
My favourite site was How Hill. From the car park walk down to the river and take the nature trail though the gate to your right as you look at the river. Just a few yards in is a damp meadow where last year I was watching 3 Swallowtails in the air at the same time. If the weather is right this is a good spot. They can also be seen along the paths along the river bank.

Cheers,

Neil.
Brianch

Post by Brianch »

Hi
To those that offered help regarding Norfolk Broads, I can report success!
First stop was Strumpshaw Fen RSPB arrived before 9am, car park already full. I took advice and found the Doctors house where the garden and adjacent meadow was bursting with Painted Lady and a couple of Swallowtail so very happy to have found them early. I also went to How Hill N.R. which is a beautiful little site albeit very boggy underfoot after the recent weather and found again, masses of Painted Lady and I counted 9 Swallowtail so again a photo feast. Last stop was Catfield Fen. That proved a challenge. Only 1 Swallowtail seen in flight but a couple of Brimstone. By that time the warm sunny weather had become cloudy and threatened rain. So all in all a very successful day and thanks again for the aadvice given

best wishes
Brian (Northumberland)
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Excellent news, well done. The Painted Ladies were a nice bonus.

Return to “General”