Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by David M »

Such a delight to have found this species in your neck of the woods, Neil. It fills a nice gap too - after the Dukes and Frits but just before Emperor season! :D
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all.
Allan: Your timing should be fine to see the Sussex Black Hairstreak.
Trevor: A man's work is never done. :wink:
David: June Gap? What June Gap? There's no such thing in Sussex now! :D
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Last Of The Small Pearls, For Now

The Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary first brood flight season on the BC reserves in Sussex is now winding down, with just three females seen in Rowland Wood today (9 June). The good news is that they will fly again this year, with a second brood emerging in the last days of July or first few days of August. They've had a brilliant season here and the reintroduction appears to have been a great success.

In warm but overcast conditions an elderly female Brimstone was still laying plenty of eggs on the short regrowths of coppiced buckthorn, while caterpillars were easy to find. Large Skipper was present on both reserves, together with Meadow Brown, Small Heath and Common Blue.

Much to the delight of my kids, we found several Adders and Grass Snakes.
BC SPBF female, Rowland Wood 9.6.19.jpg
BC Brimstone egg-laying, Park Corner Heath 9.6.19.jpg
BC Brimstone caterpillar, Park Corner Heath 9.6.19.jpg
BC Large Skipper, Rowland Wood 9.6.19.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Sad to see SPBFs declining, Neil, but it's encouraging to know a few will grace those parts later in the summer.

Much as I love these Frits, hats off to the humble Brimstone which is a true survivor! I've seen a handful myself this month, meaning I'm in the company of butterflies almost a year old!

Fair play to that female who's still hard at it! :D :D
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Silver-studded Rainy Day

On a drizzly day in early June (12th) there was only one (fairly) sensible option open to me - Silver-studded Blue at Iping Common. It didn't take me long to find half-a-dozen males, but the increasingly persistent and heavy rain prevented a wider search.
BC SSB (1) Iping Common 12.6.19.jpg
BC SSB (2) Iping Common 12.6.19.jpg
BC SSB (3) Iping Common 12.6.19.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Great stuff Neil ! ,love the Silver Studs and hopefully another species to look out for next week !
I suppose you wouldn,t happen to know if Frog Orchid grows at Fairmile Bottom would you ?? Regards Allan.W.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Allan.
Yes it (Frog) does, although I haven't checked this year. Let me know if you're visiting Fairmile.
BWs, Neil
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks for that Neil ,I did wonder if they may be there ,and we will be looking in at Fairmile ,as its not too far from where we,re staying ,so I might try an early morning visit or two . Regards Allan.W.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Had a look for the Frog and Bee Orchids at Fairmile last weekend and couldn’t find either - but that doesn’t mean much where Frog Orchids are concerned as they can hide in plain sight!
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Black Magic

Despite the dodgy weather this morning (13 June) I suspected that a few Black Hairstreak might be down on the Bracken at Ditchling Common, so phoned Dave Cook for a local weather report. He told me that he was going to head out and would let me know if anything was moving. It wasn't long before he called to say that he'd found one waiting for him. Another call, just a few minutes later, telling me that he'd seen a pairing, and I was in the car. At times I must have been right on the speed limit. :wink:

Fortunately, they were still there, remaining in cop for 1 hour 15 minutes. The female was down for more than 2 hours, sufficient for Trevor to catch up with her. Unfortunately he arrived just too late to see the happy couple.

There was plenty of other action and together we saw 11 individuals on the Bracken, including 7 females, all in good condition. Despite the unpromising weather, it was a day to remember. Thanks, Dave!
BC Black Hairstreak pairing (1) Ditchling Common 13.6.19.jpg
BC Black Hairstreak female (1) Ditchling Common 13.6.19.jpg
BC Black Hairstreak male (1) Ditchling Common 13.6.19.jpg
BC Black Hairstreak female (4) Ditchling Common 13.6.19.jpg
BC Black Hairstreak pairing (2) Ditchling Common 13.6.19.jpg
BC Black Hairstreak female (2) Ditchling Common 13.6.19.jpg
BC Black Hairstreak female (3) Ditchling Common 13.6.19.jpg
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Neil Hulme wrote:Another call, just a few minutes later, telling me that he'd seen a pairing, and I was in the car. At times I must have been right on the speed limit. :wink:
Seems to have paid off - superb images as ever! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
trevor

Post by trevor »

( Through gritted teeth! ) Great images of the mating pair Neil.
Almost as sickening as Dave's video !.

Seriously, a great afternoon.

All the best,
Trevor.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Neil
At times I must have been right on the speed limit. :wink:
"Sorry Officer, I was just on my way to witness a mating."

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Pete and Trevor. I was pleased with the shots given the very challenging conditions of low light and high wind. I took more than 100 images, but only 5 or 6 were passable. I overlooked the one below during my first sift through the mountain of blurred and grainy efforts.

Hi Jack. I don't think that excuse would hold water; I believe that dogging is also illegal.

BWs, Neil
BC Black Hairstreak pair, Ditchling Common 13.6.19.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

It is reasonably obvious (but nothing in the butterfly word is ever certain) that the Ditchling colony is the result of an introduction “N” years ago. It might be true that given the right habitat, Black Hairstreak quite readily colonises if it gets the chance. I have heard it suggested that the distribution of Midlands Black Hairstreaks coincides rather well with the estates of one of the earlier members of the Rothschild clan. If I understand correctly, the Continental range of Black Hairstreak extends nowhere near to the Channel or North Sea coasts. So…???

The Ditchling colony remained undetected for a long while. Wasn’t there also a Cranleigh introduction that anecdotally might not have died out, merely moved slightly? So are introduced colonies lurking in plain sight in southern England? It’s not as if it’s a big showy butterfly. Compare with how a genuine big showy butterfly for long had remained undetected in many of its localities.

There's a challenge for you Neil and your Band of Merry Men of the Wealden Forests.

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack
Are there likely to be other colonies existing undetected in Sussex an Surrey? I would say probably yes, but a full explanation would require a mini-essay, which is a job for the winter.
BWs Neil
Last edited by Neil Hulme on Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Ditchling Again

Another good day (14 June) at Ditchling Common, where numerous visitors from various parts of the South of England, including a posse from Surrey, enjoyed plenty of Black Hairstreak action. No mating pairs today (apart from Large Skipper), but a good selection of male and female butterflies were seen and all looks very promising for the weekend guided walks.
BC Black Hairstreak (1) Ditchling Common 14.6.19.jpg
BC Black Hairstreak pupa, Ditchling Common 14.6.19.jpg
BC Black Hairstreak (2) Ditchling Common 14.6.19.jpg
BC Large Skipper pair, Ditchling Common 14.6.19.jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Jack Harrison wrote:It is reasonably obvious (but nothing in the butterfly word is ever certain) that the Ditchling colony is the result of an introduction “N” years ago. It might be true that given the right habitat, Black Hairstreak quite readily colonises if it gets the chance. I have heard it suggested that the distribution of Midlands Black Hairstreaks coincides rather well with the estates of one of the earlier members of the Rothschild clan. If I understand correctly, the Continental range of Black Hairstreak extends nowhere near to the Channel or North Sea coasts. So…???

The Ditchling colony remained undetected for a long while. Wasn’t there also a Cranleigh introduction that anecdotally might not have died out, merely moved slightly? So are introduced colonies lurking in plain sight in southern England? It’s not as if it’s a big showy butterfly. Compare with how a genuine big showy butterfly for long had remained undetected in many of its localities.

There's a challenge for you Neil and your Band of Merry Men of the Wealden Forests.

Jack
The Oxford Clay belt continues south-west from Oxford through Wiltshire and Somerset, and the butterfly has been found not too far from the Wiltshire border. There must be a reasonable chance it occurs in the woods around Swindon.

Re Continental distribution - it is resident around Rouen (Seine-Maritime, which is effectively south Sussex).
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous images of the Hairstreaks, Neil, especially the mating pairs. When the flight season is over please let us know how it compared with last year's glorious one.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

BC Sussex Ditchling Common Walks

Congratulations to Jamie Burston and David Cook for their excellent guided walks to see the Black Hairstreaks of Ditchling Common yesterday (15 June), despite challenging weather conditions in the afternoon. The morning event was a 'walk in the park' and the large crowd (25+) was treated to numerous close-up views of the target species. Everyone managed to get photographs of a male hairstreak in perfect condition, within just minutes of arriving in Hairstreak Alley. Other highlights included an early Ringlet and a fabulous display of Common Spotted Orchids.

The weather collapsed for the afternoon event, but fortunately we had marked the position of a male Black Hairstreak sheltering from the drizzle, so everyone managed to see the butterfly at point blank range.
BC Black Hairstreak (1) Ditchling Common 15.6.19.jpg
BC Black Hairstreak (2) Ditchling Common 15.6.19.jpg
BC Black Hairstreak (3) Ditchling Common 15.6.19.jpg
BC Ringlet, Ditchling Common 15.6.19.jpg
BC Guided walk (1) Ditchling Common 15.6.19.jpg
BC Guided walk (2) Ditchling Common 15.6.19.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”