Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Pauline

Post by David M »

Is there a more photogenic butterfly in the UK than Silver Studded Blue? Such a delight to see those images, Pauline?
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you M. Have you noticed how many other folk are also seeing very blue CB females? Some stunning images have been posted recently.

Perhaps David - but this has to be the most approachable. I'm pleased you are enjoying them as there is more to come. Today I thought I would look for a mating pair or perhaps even an Ab. but all I found was Andrew!! :wink: Seriously, good to see you again A. but pity about the weather :( . Together we shared an umbrella for 20 mins (AKA a Sycamore tree) and chatted about butterflies until the rain eased a little. You were interested in my backgrounds Andrew. Well, today I decided to experiment a bit. Tired of that garish green, after you left I started to strip off :shock: First was the black jacket which I laid on the grass (no wonder you're always covered in ticks I hear you say!). I'll leave the rest to the imagination and just post the shots:
P1200118ad.jpg
P1200079ad.jpg
P1200103ad.jpg
P1200086ad.jpg
P1200132ad.jpg
P1200062ad.jpg
P1200107ad.jpg
P1200073ad.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

With regard to where Brimstone pupate, last year I found an empty case half way up Box Hill which even for me was a fair old trek from the nearest scrub/hedge where any Buckthorn would be. I initially assumed it was a Clouded Yellow until someone on here pointed out my error!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting seeing them on the 'grass' and flowers (I didn't do Botany at Uni :oops: ) as apart from one errant female I find all of mine on heather :D Nice idea with the background though my faves are the 'twofer' and the penultimate one :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Pauline :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Wish you could have been there Goldie! ... but you've been taking some great shots.

Hi Wurzel - there is little to no heather on this site so the SSB's are always on bracken or 'grass' (shall we call that Bird's foot trefoil? :) ). Interesting how personal taste varies. I like the 2 together also but my favourite is third from end as the backgound is natural but complementary.

Appreciate that Buggy. You might have saved me a lot (more) legwork. I've done a fair bit of searching but if they're not on the plant it's needle in haystack time! I still think a fair few have been predated and I have found several more which seem to be diseased:
P1200007ad.jpg
At 5.45am yesterday morning I was out there looking - I did not expect to see the number of slugs and snails which were roaming around these plants but in such wet weather I guess I shouldn't have been surprised:
P1190997ad.jpg
There were half a dozen assorted damsel flies around:
P1200168ad.jpg
P1200020ad.jpg
and I THINK that this ladybird larva may have been shedding his skin. He appeared to be fastened to the branch by threads. Unfortunately I didn't have time to watch as the animals needed to be fed but I returned later to find a very fresh looking individual on the next branch and the 'threads' had been vacated:
P1190990ad.jpg
P1200039ad.jpg
One good thing to come out of this little exercise is the fact that I have seen numerous OT larva at various stages - some really small, some preparing to pupate and for the first time ever in the wild, not one but 3 pupa :D
P1200201ad.jpg
P1200189ad.jpg
P1200196ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Ooops! I forgot to mention. I noticed this fungus on one of my Oak trees. Tried to google it but could find no info. D'you think I should be worried?
P1200024ad.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

More lovely Silver-studs, Pauline (I've been and found some now, so feel more relaxed about them! :) ). However, finding those Orange Tip pupae just causes another set of :mrgreen: ...I've never seen one, despite much looking over the years. Brilliant.

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

I just love those SSBs, Pauline. :) Pretty sharp-eyed work with the other sightings. As you say, that ladybird larva looks to be moving to a new instar.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Pleased you've now had a chance to see them Dave. I'm sure the OT pupa is only a matter of time - but this is a good time (to look).

Thank you David. I would have liked to have stayed to watch that Ladybird larva but my whole day seems to be prioritised.

Today I thought I would have a (short) break from the immatures and look for WLH. I visited 2 sites. Nothing at the first but at the second I missed chance after chance :roll: :( . At one point a fresh female landed in the grass in front of my feet but I STILL couldn't get a shot. The last time that happened was near Brighton in my first year of butterflying (I didn't get a shot then either!!!). I saw a second one land near a nectar source but couldn't see where and ended up accidently spooking it. Honestly, I should be shot for the (lack of) performance today :evil: The WLH were very active - about 5 but as the season moves on they will calm down and it will get easier. As a result I shall just post a medley of the other lovely butterflies that were around and which really saved the day:
P1200276ad.jpg
P1200206ad.jpg
P1200246ad.jpg
D'you see the pollen sacks on the proboscis?:
P1200250ad.jpg
I believe monochrome is the latest in fashion decor - that being the case these Marbled Whites are just bang on trend!
P1200284ad.jpg
P1200214ad.jpg
P1200280ad.jpg
P1200234ad.jpg
I haven't seen many Small Torties this year hence the reason for including this:
P1200226ad.jpg
and although this Ringlet was my first for the season it wasn't in the best of condition:
P1200236ad.jpg
I believe this is what is known as a 10 pixel photo as it was taken from afar and severely cropped:
P1200210ad.jpg
and last but not least a lovely Bee Orchid:
P1200231ad.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Again great shots Pauline, I just love to get shots of Marbled Whites they're such an elegant Butterfly, hope I see some who I go to Kent. :D Goldie :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Goldie - I'm sure you will, but mind, in weather like this you've got to grab what you can get. Not dissimilar to June 2012 when it rained here every single day and I remember standing under trees in a thunderstorm watching Purple Emperors fly!!!

It has been really torrential here with very few breaks so I think it is high time for a quick update on those hens (as requested :wink: :D ). For some reason unknown to me the other 3 hens have started to pick on my 2 Wheaten Marans (Candy and Flossie). I can only think it may be because they haven't got quite the space and freedom they had before 'the cat' :twisted: I don't want injuries, bullying or stress on my patch so for the time being I have separated them out. The cat in the shot is my dear little Jaffa who is 100% trustworthy with all birds, domestic or wild :D
P1200289d.jpg
P1200302ad.jpg
P1200309ad.jpg
On the butterfly front, I was returning home from physio at 3.45 and it was tipping it down. As I crossed the garden a Comma came whizzing past my shoulder so close I could hear it wings. It circled the kennels and I lost site of it.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I feel your frustration Pauline - I had a day like that at Daneways last year :roll: :( - strangely the Ringlets and Marbled Whites saved the day on that trip :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Wheaten Marans can be too docile for their own good, Pauline. They usually aren't interested in fighting back when they get bullied which presumably encourages further bullying.

You did right to give them separate space. Hopefully with time they will all get on better.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm sure you're absolutely right David. It's more work having them separate but they can take as long as they need.

Cheers Wurzel - I expect to have a day like that once in a while but not 3 days virtually on the trot. First, the Blackhairstreaks, then the WLH and today the Purple Hairstreaks. Why did I ever think that Hairstreaks were my favourite group!!?? :roll: :wink: To be fair it was the very strong breeze. At the start of the season I said I wasn't going to moan about it but I've changed my mind! It was really hard going today just to keep the butterflies in the frame, let alone trying to get them focused. Unlike some species, I have found over the years that Purple Hairstreak resent having their branch moved, however carefully. Whether it is trying to hold a branch steady in the wind they seem to detect this and fly off. Likewise, if there is an attempt to try to gently lower a branch for a better shot they also take off tho' who would be daft enough to try such a thing I have no idea! :oops: :lol: (I am STILL sorry Mark even tho' I say it every year). The changeable weather would have been perfect if it hadn't been so gusty as the butterflies would start to open their wings during a sunny period only to close them or have them blown shut. When I arrived at Browndown today it looked like this:
P1200335ad.jpg
The shots aren't as good as they should have been and some are blurred but in the challenging conditions it was the best I could do:
P1200410ad.jpg
P1200575ad.jpg
P1200449ad.jpg
P1200433ad.jpg
P1200420ad.jpg
P1200520ad.jpg
P1200483ad.jpg
P1200462ad.jpg

As I was leaving the site I saw some pretty blue flowers quite close to the ground and thought I would take a shot to try to identify it. It is only now, looking at it more closely that I see there is something on it. Could it be that I have inadvertently captured the extremely rare Gilkicker Weevil? Anybody know?
P1200585ad.jpg
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Considering the challenging conditions, Pauline, those Purple Hairstreak shots look pretty good to me :D :wink: Lovely job. That first one certainly could be classified as a hairystreak :lol:

Mike
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline - you know you are forgiven after all these years - just! That looks like a beetle of some sort and the Gilkicker weevil is only found on Birds Foot Trefoil to the best of my knowledge? Worth looking out for at Browndown as its its only known UK site - or even Europe I think?
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
trevor

Post by trevor »

A full 10 points for those Purple Hairstreaks, they're firmly on my agenda( if they come down low this year ).
Also seeing your Chickens reminded me of two Bantams I had as a boy, named Noe and Neaves, after two
female, dragon like, teachers at school.

Trevor.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's very generous of you Mike but I can't help feeling that without the wind I might have got something a bit special with all the wing opening that was going on.

In that case I shall never refer to it again Mark, but I was so mortified at the time I know I shall never forget it - an important lesson (or 2 ) was learnt that day! Yes, you are right about that weevil and next time I am there I shall make an effort to search some BFT.

I did find a few other things of interest there one of which was the birdlife. I am fairly confident in saying the first is a Kestrel and I THINK the second and third may be Skylark. I have no idea what the last one is:
P1200374ad.jpg
P1200596ad.jpg
P1200602ad.jpg
P1200582ad.jpg
These eggs are possibly Shield Bug eggs (seem to remember seeing similar in Guy's diary):
P1200338ad.jpg
...and the Mullein plants were covered with Mullein larva:
P1200346ad.jpg
This one appears to have just shed its skin:
P1200348ad.jpg
My time was up, oh, so fast and I had to return, but early evening it was still so nice I thought I would wander down the lane and see how the Brimstone and OT's were doing. I didn't get very far as the midges were troublesome. I still haven't found a Brimstone larva though I searched various vegetation although the OT pupa were still there:
P1200615ad.jpg
and these mating Shield bugs:
P1200622ad.jpg
Back home the Black Arches has moved to the next instar:
P1200613ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those Purps still look mighty fine Pauline :D :mrgreen: I reckon your unknown birdie is a juvenile Stonechat :D

Have a goodun
Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”