Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, I know what you mean about some of the common names of moths, some make sense but others...well, sometimes I don't even know what the words mean :lol:

Thanks David, I have been trying out a variety of backgrounds and poses instead of using the same old bits of wood.
Neil Freeman wrote:Well I hope we don't have many more days like today, its been 'orrible. The only difference has been in how heavy the rain has been.
I shouldn't have said that...today (Saturday 8th) has not been any better with rain until about 4.00 this afternoon.

In the absence of any butterflies, here are a few more moths. These are from Wednesday night which was the only other night I ran the trap last week and when cooler temperatures produced a lower count of 42 moths of 20 species (35 of 14 macro and 7 of 6 micro).
Willow Beauty - Coverdale 05.06.2019
Willow Beauty - Coverdale 05.06.2019
Scalloped Hazel - Coverdale 05.06.2019
Scalloped Hazel - Coverdale 05.06.2019
Garden Carpet - Coverdale 05.06.2019
Garden Carpet - Coverdale 05.06.2019
Spectacle - Coverdale 05.06.2019
Spectacle - Coverdale 05.06.2019
Spectacle -  showing the 'spectacles' which give this species it's name.
Spectacle - showing the 'spectacles' which give this species it's name.
and a couple of attractive little micros, both usually day flyers but will come to light at dusk and early in the morning.
Nemaphora degeerella - Coverdale 05.06.2019
Nemaphora degeerella - Coverdale 05.06.2019
Esperia sulphurella - Coverdale 05.06.2019
Esperia sulphurella - Coverdale 05.06.2019
Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great set of moths Neil - I think I've seen all of those barring the Esperia sulphurella - although I'll have to check back through my folders to check that as it does seem familiar :) :D Mind you I haven't got shots anywhere near as decent as yours :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

I share your frustrations with the weather, Neil - south Wales is hardly the ideal place to be if you want benign conditions.

It's good that you've branched out into moths; they provide a different dimension.

Love the Spectacle, which, as you rightly say, gives away the reason for its name very readily.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, I've not seen too many Moths so far this year so when on my five day break I saw a Tiger moth for the first time I was pleased, it really stood out on the leaves which were rather grim. I managed to find it's name in the British Moth's on line, that was a first for me :lol: Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for your comments Wurzel, David and Goldie, appreciated as always :D

A few days up North - part 1.

We returned earlier today from our first trip of the season in which we usually spend a few days in a B&B to give us chance to explore an area. This first trip was a return to one of our favourite B&Bs which is in the Arnside & Silverdale AONB and is located just down the road from Gait Barrows National Nature Reserve, although ironically we didn't visit there this time due to making the most of the decent weather elsewhere before it turned.
The weather was good on our arrival on Sunday (9th) afternoon and also good all day Monday but turned cloudy with a cold wind for Tuesday and Wednesday, although on the plus side we missed most of the heavy rain that they apparently had back home. It did rain heavily on both Tuesday and Wednesday nights but stayed dry during the day which meant that we could get out, although it was far too cold and windy for butterflies.

Anyway, on to the first report;

Warton Crag - June 9th.

Having seen the weather forecast for the next few days, which looked as if Sunday and Monday would be the best days for butterflying, Jane had said I could make the most of the time whilst the weather held and so after a reasonable run up the M6 on Sunday morning we headed straight for Warton Crag, arriving just after 1.30pm which gave a good couple of hours before we could check into our B&B. We often make a stop here when we come to this area although it has to be said the past couple of times the weather has not been too good with a cool blustery wind being felt on the higher slopes of the crag. Also, during our last visit to this area in early August last year, the vegetation on the shallow soils here was extremely parched after the hot dry summer last year. This time the conditions were quite reasonable with a mix of light cloud and warm sun so I was hopeful that I would catch up with two of my target species for this trip, Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary and the salmacis race of Northern Brown Argus, both of which I had seen reported from here during the past week.
As Jane cannot manage the paths here due to her bad leg I left her reading her book and wandered off along the path through the trees and headed towards the higher slopes where I have previously seen SPBF here. As soon as I reached the more exposed slopes it was apparent that the vegetation had recovered somewhat since last summer with plenty of fresh green plant growth to be seen.
Warton Crag - looking north across the Kent Estuary to the Lake District
Warton Crag - looking north across the Kent Estuary to the Lake District
Warton Crag - looking back inland.
Warton Crag - looking back inland.
A fair breeze was blowing in off Morecambe Bay but along the more sheltered paths it felt pleasantly warm and it wasn't long before I spotted the first Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary flitting and gliding above the vegetation.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Warton Crag 09.06.2019
During the hour and a half or so that I spent wandering around the higher parts of the crag I reckon I saw between 8 to 10 Small Pearls scattered about along the various paths, it is difficult to be certain on numbers as on at least one occasion I saw the same individual along two different paths leading off one small clearing and if I hadn't looked closely could easily have counted it as two separate butterflies. From what I could tell, those that I saw were all males and don't think I saw a female, certainly not amongst those I managed to photograph.
I was also pleased to see a few Northern Brown Argus, although I only managed to photograph one individual with these being difficult to follow on the rocky slopes where I saw them.
Northern Brown Argus - Warton Crag 09.06.2019
A Small White was on one of the lower slopes which was worth noting as I have still only seen a few whites this year.
Small White - Warton Crag 09.06.2019
Small White - Warton Crag 09.06.2019
A few Brimstones were seen scattered about, both male and female, and a bedraggled looking Orange-tip was seen patrolling the area of grass by the car park.
Brimstone female - Warton Crag 06.09.2019
Brimstone female - Warton Crag 06.09.2019
Orange-tip -  Warton Crag 06.09.2019
Orange-tip - Warton Crag 06.09.2019
Also on the grass by the car park was a male Common Blue that had that nice metallic look that fresh examples have when the light catches them right.
Common Blue -  Warton Crag 06.09.2019
Common Blue - Warton Crag 06.09.2019
Also seen but not photographed were Small Heaths, Dingy Skippers and my first Large Skippers of the year.

Good numbers of Chimney Sweeper moths were also flying . This is a fairly localised species back home although where they are found they can be numerous and I believe they are more common in the north.

We then carried on to check in to our B&B with me feeling pleased that I had already seen two of my targets. The weather forecast was also looking promising for the following day although past experience has taught me that things can change rapidly, particularly in one area I was hoping to head for.

To be continued...

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see the NBA Neil :D - they do look noticeably different from the BA :D :mrgreen: Looking forward tot eh next report, I'm intrigued as to what you're after...

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, I really envy your trip up North :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I can't wait to see what else you saw, could it be Large Heath!!!!
I was up there last year on the 7th June and they were just coming out, lovely shots of the Pearls. Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, I always think that NBA has a warmer brown look than normal (southern) BA. The salmacis form anyway, I have never seen 'proper' artaxerxes.
Goldie M wrote:... could it be Large Heath!!!!... Goldie :D
Could be Goldie :wink:

But first...

A few days up North - part 2.

Monday June 10th morning – Irton Fell.

After a good breakfast to set us up for the day we left our digs just before 09.00am and headed up into the Lake District, our destination being Irton Fell. We arrived at the small car park near Santon Bridge about 90 minutes later after going cross country for the last part of the journey via Ulpha and Eskdale Green so that we could enjoy some of the glorious scenery in this part of the world.
So far the weather had stayed true to the forecast, that is a mixture of sun and cloud with temperatures on my car display showing anything from 15 to 18 degrees depending on the altitude along the way and whether the sun was out or hidden behind a cloud. As I mentioned in my last report, Jane had said that I could make the most of today as the weather looked like it would go downhill for the next few days. As there was no way that she could manage the steep track up to the fell, this meant that I could go off for a couple of hours whilst she remained at the car where we kept a selection of reading and puzzle books for these occasions.

The reason for coming here was obviously to see Mountain Ringlet which, with this being the lowest altitude site they are found at, are often flying here from the end of May. I had seen that the first one this year had been reported on 30th May and keeping my eye on the Cumbria BC sightings page prior to our trip had seen numbers rising over the past week.
On my way up the track I met a chap on his way down who said that he had seen approximately 50 Mountain Ringlets whilst the sun was out earlier.

As it happened a big black cloud had settled over the fell as I arrived at the gate at the end of the track although there was plenty of blue sky to be seen in the distance, it just needed the cloud to shift. There were a few other people up on the fell and I chatted to some of these whilst we waited for the sun to come out. Most textbooks state that Mountain Ringlets will only fly in the sun and I have found this to be mostly true although I have seen them flying in cloudy conditions but this seems to require the air temperature to be above 18 degrees and it was only about 16 degrees up here under the cloud.
Anyway, after a wait of about 25 minutes the sun reappeared and almost immediately I spotted a Mountain Ringlet take to the air, followed by another, then another, as they responded to the sun in typical textbook fashion. During the next hour or so, as I got my eye in, I reckon I saw something like 40 to 50 Mountain Ringlets which ties in with what the chap I had spoken to earlier had said.

Seeing them was one thing, getting a photo was another. With this specie's habit of being very active when the sun is shining, combined with the way that when they do settle they just sort of crash land deep into the hummocks of grass, it is probably the most frustrating UK butterfly to get a clear photo of. One other thing that makes this species difficult to photograph is that they seem to be able to spot you from yards away so a fair bit of patience and luck is required in order to sneak up close before they take off again. Also, many of those that I saw were already looking tired and faded, not surprising I suppose given the exposed nature of the habitat up here where they must take a battering from the elements.
After many rubbishy shots consisting of more grass than butterfly, which I won't embarrass myself by posting here, I finally managed to latch onto a reasonable condition male which posed in a few positions as I carefully followed him around.
Mountain Ringlet male - Irton fell 10.06.2019
On one occasion I was watching this same individual when a cloud covered the sun and for once he landed a bit higher up on a small shrub where he shuffled about a bit but stayed down enabling me to get a couple of clear underside shots.
As the sun came out again I just had time for one topside shot before he was off again.
Most of those that I saw were males actively patrolling and looking for females. There were a few females about as well with these tending to look a lighter brown in flight compared with the darker males.
Mountain Ringlet female - Irton fell 10.06.2019
It seems that a few people had the same idea of making the most of the weather today with half a dozen fellow enthusiasts scattered about on the fell, the most people I have ever seen up here at the same time.
A fair crowd by Irton Fell standards.
A fair crowd by Irton Fell standards.

As well as the Mountain Ringlets there were loads of Small Heath across the fell plus various small day flying moths, the only ones I managed to ID being Common Heath (mostly because I was concentrating on the MR).

Of course, the scenery up here is worth seeing in itself;
Looking across Wasdale towards Wast Water from Irton Fell
Looking across Wasdale towards Wast Water from Irton Fell
By about 12.30 the sun was out more often and it was getting a fair bit warmer and consequently the Mountain Ringlets were becoming even more active so I decided to make my way back down to Jane. We then headed into Santon Bridge for a coffee before retracing our route back towards our B&B for the afternoon.

To be continued...

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Perseverance paid off with those Mountain Ringlets, Neil - terrific shots of a butterfly I have yet to meet! :) :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

After 'running around' Cumbria and Scotland to get my last tick for the full set of British species last year, you pictures have whetted my appetite to do the mountain ringlet justice with a more sedate day during peak flight.... maybe next year :). Great shots though, particularly the underside shots, a deceptively and subtly attractive species.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Neil - isn't that always the way though - you arrive and so does the cloud :roll: still your patience paid off :D This will be one of the last of the British species I get to 'tick off' I reckon :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for your Comments Dave, Bugboy and Wurzel :D
That's the third time I have seen Mountain Ringets now, each time I have combined a visit to Irton Fell with a stay in Arnside/Silverdale.

A few days up North - part 3.

Monday June 10th afternoon - Meathop Moss.

We left Santon Bridge about 1.00pm and retraced our route via Eskdale Green and Ulpa to pick up the main road and head back closer to our B&B. The plan was to call in at Meathop Moss where we arrived just over an hour later and parked up in the small space by the footpath onto the moss.
A bit more cloud was building up by now but it was still feeling warm with the temperature around 18 or 19 degrees and even hitting 20 when the sun was out.
The first part of the path through the trees was quite soft and muddy and and walking onto the board walk out into the moss it was apparent that it was a lot wetter than on my last visit here in 2016. I believe that there has been quite a bit of management work here to retain water levels to prevent the moss drying out and it also appears that this part of the country has had a fair bit of rain so far this year, unlike southern parts (up until recently that is). Last time I was here the moss had been dry enough in places to carefully venture off the boardwalk but this time I was not going to risk it, even wearing my wellies and with my five foot walking stick to test the ground.

Anyway, the reason for coming here was to see Large Heath and during the hour or so that I spent wandering backwards and forwards along the board walk I reckon I saw 25 to 30 bobbing about above the vegetation. I said in my last report that Mountain Ringlets are probably the most difficult UK butterfly to get a decent photo of but the Large Heaths that live in this habitat certainly run them a close second. Like the Mountain Ringlets, seeing them is easy but getting a photo is a challenge as they mostly stay out of reach on the moss with just the occasional one coming close enough to the board walk to grab a quick photo.

I eventually got a few shots, not the best I have ever managed of this species but given the circumstances I was reasonably happy, although some of them were at a fair distance and would require a bit of cropping.
Large Heath - Meathop Moss 10.06.2019
The only other butterflies seen here were a couple of Speckled Wood in the first section of path through the trees.

As is often the case in this type of habitat a large number of dragonflies and damselflies were about but the only ones I got close enough to ID were Four-spotted Chasers. Also lots of small day flying moths, most of which I got close enough to ID were Common Heaths.

Lots of Lizards were also basking on the board walk, most often seen scurrying away as they felt the vibration of my footsteps, but by moving slowly I managed to get quite close to a couple.
Common Lizard - Meathop Moss 10.06.2019
Common Lizard - Meathop Moss 10.06.2019

About 3.30pm I decided to make a move and make one more stop off...

Latterbarrow.

Leaving Meathop Moss and turning left out of the lane onto the dual carriageway meant that I had to drive down to the roundabout and come back up the opposite carriageway. This would take me past the turn off for Latterbarrow, a lovely little Cumbria Wildlife Trust reserve that I have often dropped into when in this area and I was keen to visit again today.

Just inside the gate into the reserve I saw a couple taking photos of something in the long grass and held back so as not to spook whatever it was. They called me over and showed me a Northern Brown Argus basking on a grass stem and as they had already taken their photos invited me to help myself. As the sun went in and out behind the clouds, it opened and closed its wings and flitted about a bit but didn't go far.
Northern Brown Argus - Latterbarrow 10.06.2019
I then carried on around the paths and spotted a few Large Skippers and a couple of Meadow Browns, my fist of the latter this year. These were all quite active and I didn't bother trying to take any photos of these as I get plenty of both back home.

I had just reached the far end of the reserve when a bright orange butterfly flew past and settled just in front of me, a nice fresh looking female Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Latterbarrow 10.06.2019
The path here loops back to the entrance and on the way back I saw two or three more NBAs, one of which posed nicely for me.
Also seen here was a male Brimstone and a really tatty old Peacock still hanging in there.

I also saw a White-spotted Sable Moth Anania funebris, a micro that can be found locally scattered throughout the UK and which Latterbarrow is a known site for.
Anania funebris -  Latterbarrow 10.06.2019
Anania funebris - Latterbarrow 10.06.2019
Latterbarrow is also know for its variety of wildflowers including orchids. I have mentioned before that I am not really into orchids and although I usually notice them I cannot really tell the difference between those that are various shades of pink or purple. There were some here however that are a bit more distinctive that I do recognise, Greater Butterfly Orchids.
Greater Butterfly Orchid -  Latterbarrow 10.06.2019
Greater Butterfly Orchid - Latterbarrow 10.06.2019
By about 4.30pm the cloud had built up into a solid overcast and it looked like rain was on the way so we called it a day and headed back towards our B&B in Silverdale.

During the course of the day I had seen Mountain Ringlets in the morning and Large Heaths earlier in the afternoon and now finished off with Northern Brown Argus and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary....A cracking day by any standards :D.

I was glad that I had made the most of the day as the weather forecast for the next couple of days was not looking good, but even if the conditions were not good for butterflies, there is still plenty to see in this area...

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

What a wonderful trip Neil and a fabulous array of butterflies. Those NBA certainly know how to pose for the camera :D Is there quite some variance in the markings of the Large Heath as that first one seems to have some teardrop shaped markings as opposed to the circular ones of the subsequent images? Can I come with you next time? :wink: :lol:
trevor

Post by trevor »

I find it incredible that you found three species, all of which would have been ' lifers ' for me, in one day.
You also managed some superb images of all of them. Certainly a break/holiday to remember.

Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, I was right about the Heath! :D I didn't think you'd take a trip up there and miss seeing them :lol: Your shots of the Northern Brown are fantastic also the Pearl, I find the LH hard to gets shots of they seem to disappear into the Moss :D

I started going to the Moss just before Meathop it's called Foulshaw Moss , there's always a warden there and the board walk starts much nearer, also there's a toilet on the sight and if you've got sandwiches a couple of benches where you can sit and eat I think your wife would like it if you go again. :D

Like you find the Mountain Ringlet hard to get shot's of I find the the Scotch Argus very much like them in flight, I've yet to get a shot that I'm really pleased with :roll:

I will have to wait while next year now before I venture up there again, ( all being well ) so it was good to see your shots. :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots again Neil and worthy of plenty of :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: as the Large Heath is another one of those species that is missing from my list. That first one is a cracking looking inidividual with those lush tear drop eyes 8) :mrgreen: I'll have to save this section of your PD and file it away ready for when I can finally get up to that neck of the woods :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Wow, Neil, your images from Irton Fell take me back briskly to the one and only time I visited the exact same spot, which is now a scarcely believable EIGHT years ago! :shock:

One thing I didn't get that day (and have never seen on my European jaunts) is a female with upperside ocelli the size of those your wonderful specimen displays. A striking individual, for sure.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Pauline, Large Heath are quite variable in the size and shape of the spots. I've been wondering how to ask Jane about taking a lady I know from the internet :wink: :D probably best not to if I want to continue these trips :lol:

Thanks Trevor, fortunately in that part of the country a bit of planning and some luck with the weather can get you all three on the same day fairly easily.

Hi Goldie, we did visit Foulshaw Moss on the Tuesday, your'e right, Jane liked it there...see below.

Cheers Wurzel, you really must make the trip sometime, beautiful scenery and it always feels as if I am stepping back in time when I visit that area.

Thanks David , that female did stand out a bit with those large hindwing spots.

A few day up north – part 4.

Over the past few years it seems that increasing numbers of birders are turning to butterflies and dragonflies during the summer months. My first interest is in butterflies and moths and I am not really a birder but when the weather is not conducive for butterflying I sometimes do the opposite and look at birds, especially on our trips when we are in areas where we may see something that we would not see at home.

Foulshaw Moss.

With the weather turning dull and cloudy on the Tuesday (11th June) we decided have a look at Foulshaw Moss, a Cumbria Wildlife Trust site which is well known for a pair of Ospreys that return each year to breed. Despite coming to this part of the world for some years now we had not actually visited here before although we had driven past a number of times and seen it signposted. We arrived just after 09.30am and after parking up had a chat with the ranger in his hut by the start of the path. We then went down a short way to the first hide which overlooks a row of feeders set up in a small clearing. These were being visited by lots of small birds including Goldfinches, Chaffinches, Siskins and Redpolls, the last one being a bird I never see back home.
Goldfinch, Chaffinch & Redpoll - Foulshaw Moss 11.06.2019
Goldfinch, Chaffinch & Redpoll - Foulshaw Moss 11.06.2019
Redpoll - Foulshaw Moss 11.06.2019
Redpoll - Foulshaw Moss 11.06.2019

There was also a Great-spotted Woodpecker that kept returning to these feeders.
Great Spotted Woodpecker - Foulshaw Moss 11.06.2019
Great Spotted Woodpecker - Foulshaw Moss 11.06.2019
We than carried on along the board walk to the Osprey hide from where the nest can be seen in the top of a tree in the distance. A couple of cameras have been set up in this tree which provide a live feed from the Osprey nest that can be viewed on the reserve’s website. There was also a spotting scope in the hide for use by visitors to get a closer look of the nest.
Osprey nest in the distance, you can just make out the female hunkered down from the wind in the middle of the nest. The white objects to the sides of the nest  are the cameras.
Osprey nest in the distance, you can just make out the female hunkered down from the wind in the middle of the nest. The white objects to the sides of the nest are the cameras.
A few minutes after we arrived at the hide a volunteer arrived and set up another spotting scope and a tablet displaying the live feed from the cameras which showed the female hunkered down in the wind sheltering two chicks.
Osprey hide at Foulshaw Moss
Osprey hide at Foulshaw Moss
Tablet screen showing live feed from the cameras.
Tablet screen showing live feed from the cameras.
After spending a little while in the hide and chatting to the volunteer about the Ospreys we then continued around the board walk which circles back around to the beginning of the path. Jane was keen to look in the first hide again and watch the birds on the feeders so we popped back there for a bit and then had another wander along the board walk noticing some Reed Buntings and lots of Common Heath Moths which seem to fly in any conditions.
We spent a couple of hours at Foulshaw and although the weather was dull and cloudy with a cold wind blowing across the open moss, we both thought that it was a great reserve and well worth a return visit when we are next in the area. As well as the Ospreys and other birds, Large Heath can be seen on the moss and I believe that White-faced Darters can also be found here, although the cool and cloudy weather meant that neither of these were seen today.

RSPB Leighton Moss.

After leaving Foulshaw Moss we drove back around into Silverdale and went to RSPB Leighton Moss which is just a few minutes from our B&B. Anyone who has been reading my PD for some time will have seen that we often visit this reserve when we stay in this area as it has good paths between most of the hides which Jane can manage with her limited mobility. We usually come to see the Marsh Harriers which breed here every year and this year we were told they are doing well with four nests scattered about the various reed beds. We certainly saw more Marsh Harrier activity than we have seen before with good views from all the hides we visited during the afternoon. Although we had good views through binoculars, these sightings were too far away for either my Panasonic FZ200 or Nikon D3400 (with 70-300mm lens) to get any good shots although I managed a few record shots with the D3400 which I have cropped quite a lot to post below.
Marsh Harrier - Leighton Moss 11.06.2019
We also drove around to the Allen and Eric Morecambe hides down by the shoreline where we saw various waders including nesting Avocets along with a large number of Black-headed Gulls which were making quite a racket.
No words needed.
No words needed.
Avocets - Leighton Moss 11.06.2019
Avocets - Leighton Moss 11.06.2019
By about 4.00pm Jane wanted to return to our B&B and have a shower and a rest before going out for a meal on the night so I dropped her off and returned to Leighton. There is one hide that we have never been to before (the Lower hide) as it involves a longer walk and Jane wasn’t sure if she could manage it. With another dull day forecast for Wednesday we had decided that I would go back and do a recce to see if I thought that Jane could manage it with a view to perhaps giving it a go the next morning.
On the walk to the hide a young Red Deer ran across the path in front of me and went down in the grass where I managed to sneak up and get a shot of him watching me from his hiding place.
Someones got their eye on me.
Someones got their eye on me.
One of the star attractions currently at Leighton Moss is a female Bittern that is nesting not far from the Lower Hide and which had been seen most days taking flights across the reed beds. I had not long arrived at the hide when someone called out ‘Bittern’ and I turned in time to see it flying off across the reeds and just about got a couple of blurry record shots as it disappeared into the distance. Like the Marsh Harriers, the shot below is heavily cropped.
Bittern - Leighton Moss 11.06.2019
Bittern - Leighton Moss 11.06.2019
One of the other occupants of the hide mentioned to me that he had been there three hours and that was his first glimpse of the Bittern…and he nearly missed it, looking in the wrong direction at first when it was called out.

There were a number of Lapwings to be seen around the hide including a female on a nest amongst a pile of cut reeds right in front of the hide and who must be the most photographed Lapwing in the UK. Occasionally a couple of chicks would come out and have a little wander around before hiding back in the nest.
Lapwing and chicks - Leighton Moss 11.06.2019
After some heavy rain on Tuesday night, Wednesday morning started off very similar to the previous day i.e. cool and cloudy so we returned as planned to Leighton Moss and walked down to the Lower hide, Jane finding it not too bad as long as we took our time. We spent most of the morning in this hide and got more good views of the Marsh Harriers.
Marsh Harrier arriving at speed from stage left...
Marsh Harrier arriving at speed from stage left...
...and pulling up at the end of his run.
...and pulling up at the end of his run.
Unfortunately the Bittern didn’t show whilst we were there this time but there was plenty of interest to see including the aforementioned Marsh Harriers and Lapwings plus Great-crested Grebe, Reed Warblers and a Kingfisher, most of which were too far away or too quick for photos.

Around mid-day we left the hide and wandered back towards the car, hearing a rather vocal Pheasant along the way which we shortly came across striking a pose in the middle of the path. He seemed quite tame and is probably used to seeing visitors here, in fact we have seen Pheasants around the other paths here on previous visits.
Pheasant making himself look all important.
Pheasant making himself look all important.
We then went into Arnside where we had a cream tea before popping up the knott for a quick look around. It was very dull and gloomy by now under a thick grey overcast so I wasn’t expecting to find much but I did a quick circle around some of the paths looking for roosting butterflies without success. I did find my only Lepidoptera of the day when I disturbed a Cinnabar Moth which flew a short distance and settled again.
Cinnabar Moth - Arnside Knott 12.06.2019
Cinnabar Moth - Arnside Knott 12.06.2019
I also saw a young Red Deer which looked like it couldn’t decide whether to run for it or not.
Shall I stay or shall I go.
Shall I stay or shall I go.
We left Arnside and with the weather now beginning to turn drizzly we went back to Leighton Moss to finish off the day.
Chaffinch on feeder behind the visitor center - Leighton Moss 12.06.2019
Chaffinch on feeder behind the visitor center - Leighton Moss 12.06.2019
The rain turned heavier again on Wednesday night and continued into Thursday morning when we checked out of our B&B. If the weather had been better I had considered taking a diversion on the way home to Prees Heath to see if Silver-studded Blues were out there yet but with dull skies and rain most the way back down the M6 I decided against it.

Still, it was a cracking few days in one of my favourite parts of the country :D

Bye for now,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sunday 16th June.

After returning home from our few days up north on the Thursday (13th June), the next couple of days were cloudy and wet with some heavy rain showers, particularly on the Saturday.
Sunday was forecast to be much better and being Fathers Day, our daughter Sarah had invited us around for Sunday Lunch.
After lunch, Jane suggested that myself and Sarah could pop out for a bit whilst she looked after the grand kids so we drove around to my local spot at Bickenhill which is not far from where Sarah lives. I have mentioned before that Sarah is into photography but mostly arty type stuff although she will take photos of various insects and other small creatures as the fancy takes her.

We arrived just as a black cloud came over and a short, sharp shower came down whilst we waited in the car for it to finish. Ten minutes later the sun was back out again so we headed off to do a circuit of the paths here.
Sarah at Bickenhill - 16.06.2019
Sarah at Bickenhill - 16.06.2019
Not sure what she is photographing here...
Not sure what she is photographing here...

To be honest, there were not that many butterflies about. Unlike some more productive areas, my local patch only has the common wider countryside species and I always see a bit of a 'June Gap' before the numbers of summer butterflies build up. This does not mean however that there is a total lack and the first Large Skippers and Meadow Browns were flying albeit no more than half a dozen of each so far.
Large Skipper - Bickenhill 16.06.2019
Meadow Brown - Bickenhill 16.06.2019
Meadow Brown - Bickenhill 16.06.2019
It was also good to see three or maybe four fresh new Small Tortoiseshells, although getting close enough for photos was difficult as they were whisked away by a brisk breeze as soon as they ventured above the vegetation.
Small Tortoiseshell - Bickenhill 16.06.2019
Small Tortoiseshell - Bickenhill 16.06.2019
A faded and slightly bedraggled looking female Brown Argus was a good sighting as these can be very hit and miss around my local sites and some years I don't find any at all.
Brown Argus - Bickenhill 16.06.2019
The only other butterflies seen were a few fresh Speckled Wood that were flitting about in a couple of sections of path that go through some trees.

After an hour or so the clouds had built up again to a grey overcast so we headed back to the car. This site is not far from Birmingham airport and as we walked back we saw one of the Emirates A380s which now do a regular scheduled flight to Dubai from B'ham.
A380 heading into grey skies.
A380 heading into grey skies.
I am always fascinated by how these large double decker aircraft don't seem to be flying fast enough to stay in the air, although I know that this is an illusion due to the size of the aircraft and the reality is that they are flying faster than they appear.

Friday 21st June.

After finishing work at midday as I normally do on Fridays, we popped round for our usual visit to my mom. After having a chat and a coffee I left the women talking and took a quick walk down the road to the local park see if anything was about. Although it was quite cloudy, it was pleasantly warm and a few Meadow Browns and Large Skippers were flying in a couple of areas where the grass is allowed to grow long. It is pleasing to see that this year the areas of uncut grass here are larger than ever with some parts left which would previously have been cut short.
Large Skipper - Langley Hall 21.06.2019
Large Skipper - Langley Hall 21.06.2019
Meadow Brown - Langley Hall 21.06.2019
Meadow Brown - Langley Hall 21.06.2019
A few Speckled Wood were again spotted around the edges of the wooded area.
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 21.06.2019
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 21.06.2019
I don't think I have ever been here between April and September and failed to see a Speckled Wood.

Bye for now,

Neil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely looking Large Skippers Neil :D That is a cracking looking Small Tort - the dark margins really show off the blue triangles to great effect :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”