Nick Morgan

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
NickMorgan

Re: Nick Morgan

Post by NickMorgan »

David M wrote:Just as a matter of interest, Nick, how commonplace were Spanish Marbled Whites in that area when you visited?
That is a good question David. I counted more than ten on that walk, but that was before I realised that there were also Western Marbled Whites there! On previous visits to Southern Spain and Portugal in April and May I have usually only spotted one or two Spanish Marbled Whites.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Wurzel wrote:Crickey Nick I've only ever seen one type of Marbled White :D :mrgreen: so to try and differentiate between the two species I wouldntt know where to begin - better get back to some study of Tolman :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel,
I have been lucky to have seen Iberian, Spanish, Balkan and now Western Marbled Whites. The one that I haven't seen is the Marbled White, Melanargia galathea, that we get in the UK. They haven't made their way up to Scotland yet and I haven't managed to see one when I have been down south!
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Nick. Haven't managed to see Spanish Marbled White yet....but it's on my list!!

Funnily enough, we were discussing only today how much longer would it be before Marbled Whites hit SE Scotland. I reckon two more heatwave summers are all that's required!! :)
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

David M wrote:Thanks, Nick. Haven't managed to see Spanish Marbled White yet....but it's on my list!!

Funnily enough, we were discussing only today how much longer would it be before Marbled Whites hit SE Scotland. I reckon two more heatwave summers are all that's required!! :)
David,
That would be very exciting. I think they are up as far as Yorkshire? I don't know anything about their movement, but I guess from what you are saying they may be expanding their range northwards. It is interesting that there appears to be no movement in Gatekeepers and I can't think why. We get the occasional Brimstone making it into the Scottish Borders, but I think that the lack of food plants is why they are not a permanent feature. I have planted some Alder Buckthorn in my new hedge just in case!!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Hi Nick - Marbled Whites can be found in decent numbers on the chalk of the Yorkshire Wolds.To make it further north, they are going to have to find a few suitable corridors of habitat. You'd think that with their fairly catholic taste in grassland (including roadside verges) they might just manage to creep your way... :)

Cheers,

Dave
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

On 5th June A friend and I drove down to the coast in Berwickshire near Burnmouth in search of Small Blues. I picked Abbie up in Haddington in fog and drizzle and we questioned whether we were mad to look for butterflies in such weather. However, it brightened up on the drive down and by the time we arrived the sun was shining. We saw about 15 Red Admirals on the road down to where we parked along with a lot of Green-veined Whites. I have previously wondered why I hadn't seen any butterflies along this track despite what appeared like great habitat for them.
We had a morning of sunshine and grey clouds and the first Small Blue we found was sitting next to the path. By this time I thought that we may not see any more sun, but I was pleased to have seen a Small Blue.
However, the sun returned and we had a good couple of hours watching butterflies. Iain Cowe phoned me and said that he had heard that there was a mass arrival of Red Admirals along the coast, which we confirmed!
Over the morning we must have seen close to 100 Small Blues, about 25 or 30 Red Admirals, about 60 Green-veined Whites, two Small Coppers, a Common Blue, a Large Skipper, 8 Wall Browns, a Small White and about 50 Small Heaths.
We returned back to East Lothian to be greeted by a monsoon! My wife told me that the weather had been very grey and cloudy up here all the time we were away!
P1180304.JPG
P1180304.JPG (74.42 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
P1180208.JPG
P1180208.JPG (67.22 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
P1180228.JPG
P1180228.JPG (58.69 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
P1180261.JPG
P1180261.JPG (63.19 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
P1180358.JPG
P1180358.JPG (69.99 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
P1180270.JPG
P1180270.JPG (72.49 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
P1180277.JPG
P1180277.JPG (73.52 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
P1180308.JPG
P1180308.JPG (77.42 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It must have been great to have seen the irruption of Red Admirals Nick :D Lovely st of shots - that Small blue on the finger really lives up to it's name, a very Diminutive Blue :shock: :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see the Small Blues, Nick, as well as hearing about the influx of Red Admirals (brace yourself now for Painted Ladies!)

The female Green Veined White is stunning. It's so well marked I could probably mistake it for Mountain Green Veined White.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Wurzel wrote:It must have been great to have seen the irruption of Red Admirals Nick :D Lovely st of shots - that Small blue on the finger really lives up to it's name, a very Diminutive Blue :shock: :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel, I remember a mass arrival of Red Admirals a few years ago on a typical dreich Scottish July day. It was misty and drizzling with a strong wind and as I walked along the coastal path a Red Admiral kept flying across the front of me. I wondered why it was circling around me like that and then realised that it was several different Red Admirals arriving from over the North Sea. I guess they set off in glorious sunshine in Holland or Belgium, or who knows where and once on their way had to keep flying until they hit land. A friend was at North Berwick that same day and she reported several Red Admirals coming in from the sea there, too.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

David M wrote:Great to see the Small Blues, Nick, as well as hearing about the influx of Red Admirals (brace yourself now for Painted Ladies!)

The female Green Veined White is stunning. It's so well marked I could probably mistake it for Mountain Green Veined White.
David,
The Painted Lady invasion started two days later and it was in far greater numbers. They were still seen arriving on the coast last week and have since dispersed inland. I would love to know where the Red Admirals and Painted Ladies set out from and if it was on different days.
Our Green-veined Whites are quite variable. The females tend to be particularly dark, whereas the males can have almost no markings at all. I noticed yesterday that the second generation females had a tremendous amount of marking on the upper wings. I also had to look at a male for ages to determine if it was a Green-veined or Small White. I don't think I had seen such a pale one before.
David M

Post by David M »

NickMorgan wrote:..The Painted Lady invasion started two days later and it was in far greater numbers. They were still seen arriving on the coast last week and have since dispersed inland...
There are more crossing continental Europe right now, Nick. Many more.

Towards the end of the week, warm SE winds will direct them towards the UK.

I expect they will arrive in serious numbers where they will find a green, damp and verdant Britain after several dull, damp & cloudy weeks over here.

Looks like a 'perfect storm'.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

David M wrote:
NickMorgan wrote:..The Painted Lady invasion started two days later and it was in far greater numbers. They were still seen arriving on the coast last week and have since dispersed inland...
There are more crossing continental Europe right now, Nick. Many more.

Towards the end of the week, warm SE winds will direct them towards the UK.

I expect they will arrive in serious numbers where they will find a green, damp and verdant Britain after several dull, damp & cloudy weeks over here.

Looks like a 'perfect storm'.
That could be very exciting David. On my transect two weeks ago I had 35 Painted Ladies in just one section. I received many reports from around the coast of people seeing 20 or 30 in one location. Imagine if we get even more later this week and then our Ringlets, Meadow Browns and Small Skippers will all soon be out in numbers! We won't be able to move for butterflies!!
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

On 15th June I quickly visited the valley above our house near Selkirk. It was 14 degrees and cloudy, but I was hoping that I may find some roosting Northern Brown Argus. My dad told me that he visited this spot one morning and found several Northern Brown Argus roosting on grass stems, so I thought it was worth a try. However, I am aware that things tend to happen down here a couple of weeks later than up in East Lothian, so I wasn't sure if there would be any NBA out yet.
There wasn't much happening when I first arrived there, but I did see a Green-veined White flying down by the stream, which at least suggested it was warm enough for butterflies to fly. After a while I disturbed a Small Heath and then another. I walked up and down the path several times seeing more Small Heaths and an Orange Tip. Then a very tattered Peacock.
P1180378.JPG
P1180378.JPG (83.82 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
P1180382.JPG
P1180382.JPG (68.93 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
P1180390.JPG
P1180390.JPG (58.04 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
P1180409.JPG
P1180409.JPG (83.94 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
There were a lot of moths flying and I followed one particularly interesting one along the path until it dropped down and I lost it. However, while I was looking for it I found a pair of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries. I have seen one there on two previous occasions. They seemed very vulnerable, right at the side of the path, but I don't suppose anyone else walked there that day. While I was lying down in the grass trying to get a picture another Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary flew past.
P1180400.JPG
P1180400.JPG (66.14 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
P1180403.JPG
P1180403.JPG (70.67 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
I thought to myself that despite not seeing any Northern Brown Argus, it had still been a successful visit, so I turned for home. Then a little dark butterfly crashed into the grass in front of me. I assumed it was going to be a Chimney Sweeper moth, but it turned out to be a Northern Brown Argus.
P1180419.JPG
P1180419.JPG (72.8 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
So, a very successful visit!
There was also a Common Lizard, which was a nice surprise.
P1180425.JPG
P1180425.JPG (86.83 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

It is interesting to see the difference a week can make. I visited the little valley above our house near Yarrowford again on the 23rd June. The weather had been sunny in the morning, but was a bit overcast when I arrived there (of course!). This time I saw 40 Northern Brown Argus on my first walk up the valley, along with 25 Small Heather and a Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary.
P1180442.JPG
P1180442.JPG (68.41 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
P1180452.JPG
P1180452.JPG (49.62 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
P1180475.JPG
P1180475.JPG (65.67 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
As I walked back and followed a few Northern Brown Argus trying to get some pictures I estimate that there must have been more than 100 of them there. The Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary patrolled up and down along the valley when the sun came out and there must have been more than six there. Those that stopped were all looking rather worn out.
P1180489.JPG
P1180489.JPG (77.64 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
P1180508.JPG
P1180508.JPG (86.68 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
I also disturbed a Dark Green Fritillary, which was a surprise. Sadly, it dashed off up over the heather never to be seen again.
There were also a few Small Coppers and only one Green-veined White.
P1180517.JPG
P1180517.JPG (67.93 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
P1180456.JPG
P1180456.JPG (86.95 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
On the way back I saw a Peacock in lovely condition. I think it must have just looked after itself well over the winter, as I can't believe that it could be one of this year's generation yet.
Back at the house there were just a few tattered Green-veined Whites and Orange Tips flying around.
P1180528.JPG
P1180528.JPG (65 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those NBAs are really stand our with the white spots on the fore wing :D :mrgreen: I also need to give you a couple of :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for the Small Pearls in cop - I need those to complete my 'Fritillaries in cop' set :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

NickMorgan wrote:...As I walked back and followed a few Northern Brown Argus trying to get some pictures I estimate that there must have been more than 100 of them there..
Those are excellent numbers, Nick, and you have an impressive range of species in that last report. Are NBAs having a particularly good year or do you regularly see lots of them?
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

David M wrote:
NickMorgan wrote:...As I walked back and followed a few Northern Brown Argus trying to get some pictures I estimate that there must have been more than 100 of them there..
Those are excellent numbers, Nick, and you have an impressive range of species in that last report. Are NBAs having a particularly good year or do you regularly see lots of them?
Sorry David, I haven't been on line in a while. It isn't unusual to see over 100 Northern Brown Argus in the little valley directly above our house. It is the best location I have ever been for them. There is an area containing Rockrose, which is far bigger than I have seen elsewhere. More often than not, in other locations I know you would be lucky to see 10 or 20 NBAs. I know of one colony, on the edge of a golf course, where there is very sparse Rockrose in an area smaller than my sitting room. Last year I only saw one NBA there and I haven't received any reports of them being seen there this year.
My concern with the valley above our house is that this area used to be grazed, but about ten years ago the valley was planted with trees. The trees themselves are not a threat, but the ground isn't grazed and I think that long-term the bracken and heather may swamp out the Rockrose.
David M

Post by David M »

NickMorgan wrote:Sorry David, I haven't been on line in a while. It isn't unusual to see over 100 Northern Brown Argus in the little valley directly above our house. It is the best location I have ever been for them. There is an area containing Rockrose, which is far bigger than I have seen elsewhere. More often than not, in other locations I know you would be lucky to see 10 or 20 NBAs. I know of one colony, on the edge of a golf course, where there is very sparse Rockrose in an area smaller than my sitting room. Last year I only saw one NBA there and I haven't received any reports of them being seen there this year.
My concern with the valley above our house is that this area used to be grazed, but about ten years ago the valley was planted with trees. The trees themselves are not a threat, but the ground isn't grazed and I think that long-term the bracken and heather may swamp out the Rockrose.
Thanks for the response, Nick. Good to know that in certain places this species is thriving. 100+ is very healthy in such a small area.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Last month I looked at a few locations along the Yarrow Valley as part of the Northern Brown Argus survey. One of the surveys I did was along Lewinshope Rig and the Lewinshope Burn. There I had met a lady who lived two miles further up the valley, who said that there were loads of butterflies along there.
P1190150.JPG
So, on 17th August I set off from our house, over the hill and down into the Lewinshope Valley. Although I was a little late in the season for many species, I remembered that I had seen an old record for Scotch Argus on there, so I thought it worth a look. Sadly I didn't manage to find any Scotch Argus, but It was a beautiful walk and I saw over 200 Peacocks. Many of the other species were rather worn out such as a Meadow Brown, Dark Green Fritillary, Small Skippers and a few Painted Ladies. I saw about ten Small Tortoiseshells and a couple of Red Admirals, a few Commas and about 15 Small Whites.
P1190048.JPG
P1190050.JPG
P1190059.JPG
I stopped at a pond and tried to photograph a female Common Hawker that was laying eggs amongst the submerged grasses. As my boots slowly sank below the water I was amazed to see an otter swim along the opposite bank. There were another three male Common Hawkers and as it flew off, I realise that there was another female resting on some grass that was touching my arm! Close by there were Large Red Damselflies and Emerald Damselflies.
P1190101.JPG
P1190120.JPG
P1190125.JPG
At the end of the valley I had a steep climb up to Lewinshope Rig. On the way up I walked right next to a young Adder that wasn't in any hurry to leave. There was also a rather worn Common Blue. Up along the side of the Rig there were Peacocks all along the track, despite the strong wind. On the more sheltered side of the hill there were a number of Painted Ladies, mostly looking as though they had flown a long way to get there!
Back down into the Hangingshaw Valley above our house I saw faded Dark Green Fritillary, some very tatty Meadow Browns, more Commas, Small Coppers, Small Skippers, Small Heaths, Green-veined Whites and a whole load more Peacocks!
P1190165.JPG
P1190169.JPG
P1190193.JPG
P1190211.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report Nick - stunning looking scenery :D The butterflies don't look half bad either :wink: apart from that Meadow Brown that is - it should be renamed a Meadow Grey :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”