INFO ON IOW SITES - PLEASE HELP

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
_astralis

INFO ON IOW SITES - PLEASE HELP

Post by _astralis »

Hi all,

I'm visiting the IOW on Saturday for a week and I'm looking for some recommendations for butterfly sites. I've visited sites such as Wheelers Bay, Compton Chine, Freshwater Cliffs etc for the Glanville, and Brook Quarry for a variety of other species, but I'm hoping to visit some new areas for species like Wall Brown, Adonis Blue (might be too early for this one) Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Green Hairstreak, Small Blue, Grizzled/Dingy Skippers etc. Is there anywhere in particular that is great for any of these (especially Wall, Adonis and Green Hairstreak), including more inland sites for Glanville?

Ive read that PBF are at Parkhurst Forest and SPBF are at Ningwood Common but im not sure when that information was written. Are they still resident? If so, where abouts in Parkhurst should i be looking?

I figure that any abandoned chalk quarry/pit would be a good bet, Mottistone Estate(?), along with some of the downs but if anyone could help narrow it down to specific areas it would be much appreciated. I'll be with my Dad and he gets tired walking too far, especially up steep hills!

Thanks in advance! :)

Gill
petesmith

Re: INFO ON IOW SITES - PLEASE HELP

Post by petesmith »

Hi Gill,

I used to visit the Isle of Wight regularly back in the 1990's, but haven't been for quite some time . However, I do still keep up with things via the Annual Report of the Hampshire and Isle of Wight branch of BC.

Sadly, both the Pearl and Small Pearl-bordered have been lost from the Island recently. I used to find both species at Parkhurst Forest, and Pearl-bordered at a couple of other sites also, but alas they appear to be no more...

Wall Brown used to be common across the Island, but even this species is now apparently much less frequent. In the 2018 report, Bonchurch Down and Mottistone Down are mentioned as good potential sites.

Adonis Blue used to be reliably recorded at Bonchurch Down, and St.Boniface down as well as Brook Down chalkpit, and along the chalk west from here towards Freshwater. I believe it still occurs in these places, and should be on the wing by now this year.

Green Hairstreak can turn up pretty much anywhere along the coast or on the downs, and occasionally in the woods - Compton Bay used to be good, as did Afton Down.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

pete
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

I can recommend St Boniface Down for Adonis Blue and should be good for Wall. However, maybe best to access from the coast road and up the footpath between the houses. The path soon joins a path that runs level across the slope. The access from the small road at the top of the Down is very steep.
St Boniface Down is one of my favourite sites, the views are stunning. Enjoy.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Gill
As a couple of other contributors have noted spbf and pbf are no longer found on the island and they are pretty scarce in Hampshire now too. As well as the sites already mentioned I found a little disused chalk pit on the downs above Brighstone the other year which was brimming with butterflies including Glanvilles - would be worth checking as it’s right by the road and lovely views over the channel if the weather is nice try SZ42318436
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.

Return to “Sites”