May 2019

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: May 2019

Post by David M »

Nice to see a bit of scenery from round your way, Jack. I believe you're getting the best of the UK weather right now too?
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

DavidM
Nice to see a bit of scenery from round your way
That's just an un-scenic area near Findhor Bay. But it's a bird hotspot.

After I've had a rest following some strenuous (?) gardening this morning, I will this afternoon go to a passably scenic Orange Tip hotspot. Piccies of that habitat later.

Jack
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Apologies for the poor image quality (phone camera) but this was a Duke of Burgundy I spotted while leading a butterfly walk at a nearby site today (15/05/19). It seems to have the same unclassified aberration as one of those in the image library here from BadgerBob, so thought it might be interesting.

https://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/aberrat ... ies=lucina

Regards

Bill
Attachments
IMG_20190515_123333_DxO.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:...I will this afternoon go to a passably scenic Orange Tip hotspot. Piccies of that habitat later.
Looking forward to that, Jack. Many thanks.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

An abundance of Orange Tips in my area this year and probably surpassing some of the great years of the 1970s in southern England. Along minor roads today, in some spots, I was seeing one at least every 100 metres.

Cawdor didn’t disappoint. Just a small part of the habitat.
19-05-15-010-OTHabitat.jpg
OTs and GV Whites were crossing the River Nairn regularly.
19-05-15-021-OTHabitat.jpg
I collected about eight OT eggs. I will probably get another dozen at some point but any more than that and food supply becomes a problem for the caterpillars.

The peace was unfortunately shattered by a tiny yapping dog (it was being carried would you believe – maybe a puppy). I do have hearing problems but deafness – if you can call it that – is not what you might expect. Many sounds become muffled but others – like that dog – seem to be louder than normal. As the owners walked past I said nothing but merely covered my ears. I presume they got the message (but did the dog?)

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Good to hear of such numbers of Orange Tips, Jack, and thanks for the images; it looks to be a beautiful location.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Bonus on a loch in the general area but very distant
19-05-15-137-RTDiver.jpg
Red-throated Diver (pair).

Jack
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Masses of Smalll Blues are hatching at Hutchinsons Bank at the moment, a lot on dung too, a pairing was seen today the first female emerged and was outnumbered by about 40 males in that area. Other Species were seen, Dingy and Grizzled Skippers, Small Copper, Common Blue, Brown Argus, Holly Blue, Green Hairstreak, White-Letter Hairstreak [larva], Small White, Brimstone, Orange Tip, Peacock, Glanville Fritillary, Speckled Wood, Small Heath.
DSC04906s.JPG
Group looking at White-Letter Hairstreak larva
DSC04905s.JPG
White-Letter Hairstreak
David M

Post by David M »

MrSp0ck wrote:Masses of Smalll Blues are hatching at Hutchinsons Bank at the moment...
Good to know, MrSp0ck. There were plenty at a site in my area the other day and the kidney vetch looks in rude health, so hopefully they'll have a spectacular first brood.
peterc

Post by peterc »

A splendid sunny day, yesterday (15th) on the Dunstable Downs yielded 14 species:

30+ Dingy Skipper
10+ Green Hairstreak
20+ Duke of Burgundy
20+ Brimstone
1 Small Copper
5+ Brown Argus
5+ Grizzled Skipper
10+ Orange-tip
3 Common Blue
2 Small Heath
1 Small White
1 Large White
2 Holly Blue
2 Peacock

Some photos below.

Another thing. I have seen very few Green-veined Whites this spring. Usually around here, I find about the same number of first-brood Green-veined Whites as Orange-tips but this year the Orange-tip has been far more common (at least 5 times as many). Maybe the second-brood Green-veined Whites last year suffered in some way, e.g. females producing fewer fertile eggs? Anyone else noticed the relative scarcity of the species this year so far? In fact, Small White is also relatively scarce.

ATB

Peter
Attachments
Dingy Skipper Dunstable Downs 15May19
Dingy Skipper Dunstable Downs 15May19
Grizzled Skipper Dunstable Downs 15May19
Grizzled Skipper Dunstable Downs 15May19
Brown Argus Dunstable Downs 15May19
Brown Argus Dunstable Downs 15May19
Orange-tip Dunstable Downs 15May19
Orange-tip Dunstable Downs 15May19
Small Heath Dunstable Downs 15May19
Small Heath Dunstable Downs 15May19
Green Hairstreak Dunstable Downs 15May19
Duke of Burgundy Dunstable Downs 15May19
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Here in north Scotland, GV Whites are in good numbers. But if the present lack of rain continues for much longer, then second brood is likely to be poor.

It is exceptionally dry here at the moment with very low humidity. As an example, when just now I hung out some washing, the first shirt was already dry by the time I got to the last item – and it was a perfectly normal size load. Vegetation is similarly going to dry out very quickly.

I would put the scarcity of GV Whites in the south down to last year’s roasting summer and desiccated foodplants.

Jack
peterc

Post by peterc »

Jack Harrison wrote:Here in north Scotland, GV Whites are in good numbers. But if the present lack of rain continues for much longer, then second brood is likely to be poor.

It is exceptionally dry here at the moment with very low humidity. As an example, when just now I hung out some washing, the first shirt was already dry by the time I got to the last item – and it was a perfectly normal size load. Vegetation is similarly going to dry out very quickly.

I would put the scarcity of GV Whites in the south down to last year’s roasting summer and desiccated foodplants.

Jack
Thanks Jack. You could well be right. Let's see how some other species will fare.

ATB

Peter
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A late (6pm -7pm ) visit to the local Grizzle site ,managed to find 9 still about ,all taking in the last of the suns rays (bar two ,which were roosting ! ) I reckon that the Grizzles are near there peak at this site ,must try to get there earlier in the day.
also noted were 9-10 Small Heath ,who,d all gone to bed early.!.
Was very please4d to find a couple of Damselflies ,including my first White -legged of the year ,and a female Common Blue Damsel ,but my best find was an early Orange Conch moth (Comophila Aeneana ) . Regards Allan.W.
P1050324.JPG
P1050470.JPG
P1050438.JPG
P1050442.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:...I would put the scarcity of GV Whites in the south down to last year’s roasting summer and desiccated foodplants.
Agreed. I've seen no more than 20 all spring. Small Whites have been equally scarce.

I presume the spring brood's larvae suffered from desiccation of foodplant leading to a shortage of adults later in the year. Whilst Small Whites do migrate here from the continent, Green Veined is relatively sedentary in comparison, which is probably why there were still good numbers of Small Whites last August/September but hardly any Green Veined Whites.
millerd

Post by millerd »

A stunning blue female Common Blue seen today at Bedfont Lakes Country Park, Middlesex.
CB1 160519.JPG
In sunshine, she looked almost white and at a quick glance in flight you might have thought she was a male Chalkhill.
CB3 160519.JPG
Certainly one of the bluest females I've ever come across, even in this very variable species.

As ever, more to follow (at some point!) in my PD.

Dave
peterc

Post by peterc »

David M wrote:
Jack Harrison wrote:...I would put the scarcity of GV Whites in the south down to last year’s roasting summer and desiccated foodplants.
Agreed. I've seen no more than 20 all spring. Small Whites have been equally scarce.

I presume the spring brood's larvae suffered from desiccation of foodplant leading to a shortage of adults later in the year. Whilst Small Whites do migrate here from the continent, Green Veined is relatively sedentary in comparison, which is probably why there were still good numbers of Small Whites last August/September but hardly any Green Veined Whites.
We had higher than average numbers of Green-veined Whites here last summer (e.g. 18 in week 15 on Stevenage transect) so there are probably other factors involved.

Thinking about it a bit more what may have happened is that since the peak emergence was earlier in the season than usual, assuming average female fecundity, the offspring larvae probably suffered from the drought and desiccated foodplants in August although later that month the weather was more unsettled.

ATB

Peter
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Peter
We had higher than average numbers of Green-veined Whites here last summer (e.g. 18 in week 15 on Stevenage transect) so there are probably other factors involved.
Fits the hypothesis perfectly. High numbers of adults, lots of eggs then caterpillars competing for dwindling (desiccated) food supply. Hence high mortality and low numbers the following year (2019).

Jack
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Had a couple of hours mid-day at our local Duke hotspot at Denge Wood in Kent ,my main quarry though was to find and
perhaps get a shot or two of the beautiful (and tiny ) Golden Sable moth (Anania Funebris ) although it wasn,t sunny I felt I had more chance of finding these than any Dukes on the wing . Also I was hoping to find the large colony of Lady Orchids at their near best ,and I wasn,t disappointed !
There were hundreds on show and so very variable ! I also found Fly ,greater Butterfly (in bud ) ,Common Twayblade , White Helleborine ,
Early Purple orchid ,Common Spots (leaf rosettes ) . On the moth front I saw 3 Anania Funebris ,but I think it was just to cold for them and as soon as they appeared ,they disappeared into the undergrowth ! But I did see several Pyrausta Nigrata (same family as mint moth ) and a single small Pur
ple barred (both pictured ) On the way back to the car I reckon I saw 20 + Gloworm larvae and curiously there was a Tawny Owl hooting on and off
all the while I was on site . the Grizzly was the last I found yesterday ,at roost ,about ten paces from the car .
Regards Allan.W. Ps; also saw two male Dukes !
P1050587.JPG
P1050575.JPG
P1050635.JPG
P1050548.JPG
P1050532.JPG
Attachments
P1050510.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:A stunning blue female Common Blue seen today at Bedfont Lakes Country Park....
I don't think the word 'stunning' is adequate to be honest, Dave.

'Off the scale' is how I'd describe it. What an incredible specimen.
David M

Post by David M »

4 Marsh Fritillaries and 1 Small Pearl Bordered seen yesterday (16th) on Fairwood Common, Gower:
1MF(1).jpg
2SPBFups(1).jpg
1SPBFuns(1).jpg

Return to “Sightings”