Janet Turnbull

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Janet Turnbull

Post by David M »

Great to see, Janet! I think things have kicked off just about everywhere in the UK with this unseasonably balmy weather!

Good luck with your campaign. I used to live in Sale around the turn of the century and a few years ago went back and took a walk in the park opposite the Pelican pub at Broadheath. I was shocked and dismayed to find a new housing estate had been built beyond the far end.

With every passing year the concrete jungle extends and the traffic bottlenecks get worse.

I have to admit I'd hate to go back even though I loved the area at the time. :(
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Thanks Wurzel - I think it had only just emerged so it was still recovering. I saw two more today, plus a Peacock but I'll have to get the photo off the camera tomorrow.
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

David M wrote:Great to see, Janet! I think things have kicked off just about everywhere in the UK with this unseasonably balmy weather!

Good luck with your campaign. I used to live in Sale around the turn of the century and a few years ago went back and took a walk in the park opposite the Pelican pub at Broadheath. I was shocked and dismayed to find a new housing estate had been built beyond the far end.

With every passing year the concrete jungle extends and the traffic bottlenecks get worse.

I have to admit I'd hate to go back even though I loved the area at the time. :(
Thank you David (sorry, I've only just seen this as it was on the next page!) The concrete jungle seems to encroach at a terrifying rate. There is still a nice little wildlife reserve off the canal near Timperley and I found birds and butterflies there last summer. We got chased by a goose, too..
Greater Manchester's 'Consultation' ended on Monday so we await results. The whole thing is developer driven - they would like to build 300,000 homes where there is need for 30,000, and of course the council looks forward to all the income from them.
Janet Turnbull

20th March 2019

Post by Janet Turnbull »

I took our ramblers for a walk on the Moss today, and what a glorious day it was. Although the calendar says the first day of Spring is 21st March, astronomically today is the first day of Spring (this year). If you're interested you can read about it here https://www.fullmoon.info/en/blog/fullmoon-easter.html
The butterflies were about and my walking companions are becoming more and more au fait with them, which pleases me greatly! We saw three of each of Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock - two of the Peacocks were courting and were upset by a Brimstone barging in.
The Blackthorn was looking lovely and one of the Torts posed on it beautifully for us. I'm intrigued by the state of it though - looks like it has just woken up and forgotten to brush its hair.
Arriving home we sat in the garden and another Peacock came to enjoy the warmth of the wooden window frame.
IMG_1453 Small Tort male.jpg
IMG_1460 Peacock.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to hear you're properly up and running Janet :D walls and other man made surfaces at this time of are great for g butterflies with bonus that you also get 'clutter free' interesting backgrounds to the shot :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

I noticed the forecast yesterday reported fine conditions in parts of northern England and wondered whether any members might have made the most of it.

Seems you did, Janet. Great Peacock image. It's always nice to get one basking on a dull coloured background.
Janet Turnbull

Tittesworth Reservoir, Peak District

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Our ramblers did a walk round the reservoir last Saturday (6th April) and despite the terrible weather during the previous week we had a glorious sunny day. As we sat for lunch we were 'inadvertently rescued' by two search-and-rescue men with their rescue dog, a Collie called Penny, who were actually out looking for a man who had gone missing.
IMG_1747=s.jpg
The butterflies were out and Gren and I managed to slow the ramble down while we chased after the Small Tort which wanted to bask low on the dead straw, and the Comma which was nectaring on the blackthorn. I chased after the first Orange-tip I'd seen this year, which hubby pointed out, but it friskily sped away and I would have lost the rest of the party if I had gone after it. I'm pleased that the other ramblers are taking such an interest in butterflies now - they are becoming familiar with the names and are keen to point them out if I've missed them. I even get excited reports from them about what they've seen themselves which is great.
IMG_1733 Small Tortoiseshell=s.jpg
IMG_1774 Comma=s.jpg
I was pleased to see a Chaffinch which was flitting between the hedgerow and a puddle on the path. I haven't seen many locally.
IMG_1758 Chaffinch=s.jpg
Janet Turnbull

8th April Carrington Moss

Post by Janet Turnbull »

With the Moss under threat of development I've spent a lot of time walking and recording what I see there. I went out there on 4th April when the wind was howling across - far too cold for butterflies but I did achieve a reasonable photo of a Yellowhammer. I've never seen these birds before and apparently they are on the red-list of endangered species.
IMG_1687 yellowhammer=s.jpg
Four days later I was there again and turned up the track by the barrier to the road that leads to Manchester United's training ground. The guard's hut is heated, sadly, by a diesel generator which puts out vast quantities of polluting fumes all day. I wasn't even beyond the stink of it before coming across the first of the orange-tips - a couple of males - who despite their environment looked nice and clean and fresh. As I progressed along the track - and out of the reach of the diesel fumes - I counted fully 25 O-tips of which only 3 or 4 were females. The males kept making advances but the females repulsed them, being interested only in nectaring on the dandelions.
IMG_1794O-tip m.jpg
IMG_1800 O-tip m2.jpg
IMG_1840 O-tip f2.jpg
IMG_1843 O-tip f1.jpg
Several male Brimstones patrolled the stretch and had to share the dendelions with the Orange-tips. I didn't see any females though
IMG_1846 Brimstone+O-tip.jpg
By the former orchard on Brookheys Road (still an old unmade lane and long may it remain so) the first of this year's Speckled Woods made their appearance
IMG_1856 Speckled wood.jpg
Continuing the trail round to the old disused railway I watched a pair of courting Peacocks. One of them had evidently decided on the ideal spot to make a home and the pair danced around together, darting away and returning time and again, for twenty minutes. Suddenly they shot away over the hedge and although I waited a few minutes they must have changed their minds about the locality for they did not return.
IMG_1907 Peacock1.jpg
IMG_1907 Peacock2.jpg
IMG_1825 Peacock f.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking set of shots Janet especially the female OT - something I've not seen yet this year :mrgreen: And that really is a YELLOWhammer :shock: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ps. you'll have to be careful walking round with your camera - they might think that you're a spy for Man City :wink: :lol:
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Wurzel wrote: ps. you'll have to be careful walking round with your camera - they might think that you're a spy for Man City :wink: :lol:
I seem to have won the confidence of the man at the barrier, Wurzel! He assumes I'm out birdwatching..
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous that you saw a yellowhammer, Janet. It just shows how precious Carrington Moss is for a variety of wildlife.

It saddens me to hear of potential further development. When I lived in Sale the moss stretched from Broadheath to Partington, and given how damp and marshy the bulk of it is, I never thought it could be transformed into housing estates (or anything else).
Janet Turnbull

Carrington Moss again

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Another walk around the Moss and this time there were more females - all spoken for, it seemed, because they were rejecting the advances of the males.
IMG_2215 O-tip.jpg
IMG_2154 O-tip.jpg
IMG_2142 O-tip courtship.jpg
IMG_2145 O-tip courtship.jpg
IMG_2146 O-tip courtship.jpg
Also seen were Small Tortoiseshells
IMG_2150 Small tort.jpg
and Peacocks, who were also courting. The Peacock pair were low in the vegetation and dropped further and further down until they reached ground level and disappeared from view.
IMG_2202 Peacock courtship.jpg
IMG_2225 Peacock.jpg
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

My first Holly Blue of the year turned up in the garden at teatime and as I prepared the meal it kept reappearing and hiding as soon as I ran outside - so no photo of that today. I was out on the Moss at 7.30 am though - and what a glorious experience that was. Beautiful low light, birds singing their hearts out - and as the temperature rose the butterflies started to appear. We saw around 20 species of birds and to my delight a Yellowhammer flew into a nearby bush and posed for me.
IMG_2270  SmallTortoiseshell.jpg
IMG_2289 Brimstone.jpg
IMG_2293 Ladybird.jpg
IMG_2311 Yellowhammer.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Janet - did the male OTs finally get the message or did they keep up with their unwanted advances? :? Great shot of the Yellowhammer :D :mrgreen: Is that a female as it looks a it streakier on the side? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Wurzel wrote: Great shot of the Yellowhammer :D :mrgreen: Is that a female as it looks a it streakier on the side? :?
Wurzel
Hard to tell, Wurzel, but probably female - its face does look a bit darker than a male's.
David M

Post by David M »

All sounds positively idyllic, Janet. Good to know there's so much going on round your way.

Female Orange Tips are becoming ever more noticeable right now. I feel a bit sorry for the males as their pursuit is almost certain to be fruitless....doesn't stop them persisting though.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Janet, you make me wish I was back home :lol: not that I could do much, but I do get Butterflies in my Garden, nothing to speak of yet in my Daughters Garden in Kent :roll: Goldie :D
Janet Turnbull

Eyarth Rocks and PBF

Post by Janet Turnbull »

G and I took a trip to Eyarth Rocks to look for PBFs and it was our lucky day - not only greeted at the gate by a poser, there were dozens. We arrived before midday and found the frits were particularly attracted to the dandelions. By mid afternoon the dandelions had dried out in the hot sun and the frits were supercharged and not settling.
IMG_2417 PBF.jpg
IMG_2425 PBF.jpg
IMG_2440 PBF.jpg
IMG_2456 PBF.jpg
One of them looked a bit darker and I thought it might have been a Small PBF, but I think it was just the colouring. Also a very pale fritillary appeared -
- is it a ab?
IMG_2461 PBF or SPBF.jpg
IMG_2433 Pale PBF.jpg
Also seen were our first Small Heaths of the year, which settled on the short grass of the footpath and immediately angled themselves to the sun.
IMG_2479 Small Heath.jpg
A few very tired Peacocks were still around and an extremely ragged Small Tortoiseshell, but the Speckled Woods were nice and fresh and there was a good show of Orange-tips
IMG_2465 M Orange-tip.jpg
IMG_2483 tired Small Tort.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Janet :D The pale Pearl looks good for an aberrant as it's more of a straw colour than a faded orange that you see on older specimens also the margins are all intact and it doesn't seem to show any signs of wear :D :mrgreen: Great find 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely PBF's Janet, sounds like a great site. :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”