Buchan Boy

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Buchan Boy

Post by David M »

That’s a veritable orchid fest you’ve served up, Dave. Absolutely stunning. It’s a beautiful time of year which, sadly, doesn’t last long as soon the grasses will shoot up and strangle everything.

Some fabulous butterflies there too, the pick of which is your roosting Pearl Bordered Fritillary.
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

10th May 2019 Washington Chalkpits,Sussex

I remember last year some reports of Dukes turning up here,perfect habitat,scoured the place but no Dukes.Other stuff though included.
Plethora of Dingys,they are cooking this spring.
Washington Chalk Pits Dingy
Washington Chalk Pits Dingy
Walked out of a thicket with a Green Hairstreak attached to me,not sure how that happened,we became friends.Never been so close to so many of these as I have this year.
Washington Chalk Pits Green Hairstreak
Washington Chalk Pits Green Hairstreak
The Grizzled's were already over,quite surprised by that,just two.
Washington Chalk Pits Grizzled Skipper
Washington Chalk Pits Grizzled Skipper
Early Purples really short and stunted this year,on the hills anyway.
Washington Chalk Pits Early Purple
Washington Chalk Pits Early Purple
The odd reptile,loads of young-uns
Washington Chalk Pits Common Lizard
Washington Chalk Pits Common Lizard
As I was leaving a pair of Orange Tips in full loveliness,just good that.
Washington Chalk Pits Orange Tips
Washington Chalk Pits Orange Tips
I'l be back.
Washington Chalk Pits
Washington Chalk Pits
Dave
Regards
Dave Browne
David M

Post by David M »

Certainly looks excellent habitat, Dave. I don't know either how you carried your Hairstreak passenger out of that thicket. I don't recall ever having one land on me.

Nice shot of the Orange Tip pair as well. In spite of the hundreds I've seen this last few weeks, that particular spectacle has eluded me. :(
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shot of the Greenstreak Dave :D I was having a bad time with this species a few years back but I knew that I'd been forgiven when one took to my finger :D They do seem to be having a good year this year :D Great shot of the Lizard too - was a black one as it looks very dark? :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Na Wurz,just backlit :D love those melanistic ones though..

11th May 2019 Heyshott Downs

Time to get a look at some Dukes,got up early for a wizz down to Heyshott, see how they're doing.Not promising with leaden skies,but the forecast was for some sunny intervals.Watching the skies with a Northern wind and updraft on the Downs,it looked not very good....but out and done.
Arrived at the reserve,not promising,but did locate a roosting Grizzled.
Heyshott Grizzled Skipper
Heyshott Grizzled Skipper
Spent the next couple of hours wandering around admiring the Early Purples and Fly Orchids, in the decidely dank conditions....
Heyshott Early Purple Orchid
Heyshott Early Purple Orchid
Heyshott Early Fly Orchid
Heyshott Early Fly Orchid
The sun said hello and it was time to see if anything was going on,was on the top plateau and my first Duke of the spring,quite languid and slow but amazing to get the shots.
Heyshott Duke Of Burgundy
Heyshott Duke Of Burgundy
The sun then finally arrived in good spells and opportunities were there to get the photos.
Numbers rising and probably 30+ seen today.
Heyshott Duke Of Burgundy 2
Heyshott Duke Of Burgundy 2
Heyshott Duke Of Burgundy 3
Heyshott Duke Of Burgundy 3
Heyshott Duke Of Burgundy 4
Heyshott Duke Of Burgundy 4
Got lucky really because although the weather forecast was sunny spells,it hammered down with April showers.
Heyshott
Heyshott
April showers.
April showers.
All good that.love this place.
Regards
Dave Browne
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant shots of the Dukes Dave :D Interesting to see the view of Heyshott - I've not been myself but it does look very similar to Noar Hill :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice work, Dave. The fly orchid is sublime, and I love the Duke perched on the on the pink orchid.

Good that you post habitat images too. It's always nice to get a look at the sites people have been visiting.
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

17th May 2019 Lewes Downs

A rather speculative effort to maybe get my first Adonis's of the year,failed miserably with very low cloud,nice walk though.
And Burnt-tips.
Caburn Burnt Tip
Caburn Burnt Tip
Caburn Burnt Tip 2
Caburn Burnt Tip 2
Caburn Burnt Tip 3
Caburn Burnt Tip 3
And ticks!,mental, talk about a brush down needed,had about 40 on me,tuck those shirts in!
Caburn Tick
Caburn Tick
Found one on my arm later in the evening,gives you one of those weird reactions,that judder! :D
Back tomorrow.

Dave
Regards
Dave Browne
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Burnt-tips Dave, served as a reminder to get back to Martin Down :D :mrgreen: I've been lucky with the Ticks so far this year found five or six crawling over me but none attached (so far :? ). I got a great little set of Tick removers from my local Vet which I always carry with me now as well as a sealed plastic bag to put the Tick in, it's useful to keep it so they can test it should you develop any side affects from the bite :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Those burnt tip orchids are divine, Dave. The way the colour increases in intensity is a joy to the eye, as too is the combination of colour when the flowers open fully.
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Already slipping off the pace....noooo

18th May 2019 Malling Down,nr Lewes,Sussex

AM

My Adonis mission for the weekend was now in full tilt,and Malling Down holds a good colony.Day a two halves really,murky humid morning,sunny lovely afternoon.Decided to get stuck into the combe at Malling,which,as people know is extremely steep to say the least, and quite a work out on these 51 year old legs :D,stayed in the Southern spur at the top of the combe,the habitat here is a superb example of Southern Downland,unimproved.At the top in the bramble thickets were good numbers of Cardinal Beetles.
This is the commoner red - headed version Pyrochroa serraticornis
Malling Down Cardinal Beetle
Malling Down Cardinal Beetle
Just as I started to slowly work the slope,my first Brown Argus of the season was worth chasing until it settled.
Malling Down Brown Argus
Malling Down Brown Argus
Loads of fresh Common Blues just starting their daily ambles and daily copulations.
Malling Down Common Blue
Malling Down Common Blue
Malling Down Common Blues
Malling Down Common Blues
Male taking a breather :D
Malling Down Common Blues 2
Malling Down Common Blues 2
After much trekking up and down two Adonis males finally made their presence known and records were dully noted.
Under these conditions it was surprisingly busy with butterflies,but then I think this place is noted as one of the warmest spots on the South Downs.
Malling Down Adonis Blue
Malling Down Adonis Blue
Malling Down Adonis Blue 2
Malling Down Adonis Blue 2
Towards the bottom of this side of the combe Dingy Skippers and Brown Argus's were the order of the day.Dingys are everywhere this year,I have not found a site without them.
Malling Down Dingy Skipper
Malling Down Dingy Skipper
The East end of the Malling Down combe with the snout rising in the middle.
Malling Down
Malling Down
PM to follow.

Dave
Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

PM

18th May 2019 Lewes Downs and Environs,Sussex

I'd always known of the Small Blue colonies at Caburn Bottom but never really found them in good numbers,this afternoons search begins.Walked out of Malling across the hill tops to the valley North of the hill fort at Caburn,temperatures were now rising and wind was easing,getting warm at the bottoms of these valleys.I noted a wandering Small Blue as soon as i was over the style at Bible bottom but quickly lost track of it.As soon as I approached the nettle bed at Oxteddle/Bible it was clear to see a good Small Blue emergence was in progress.Counting around 20 here as quick check.
Oxteddle Nettle Bed
Oxteddle Nettle Bed
Oxteddle Small Blue
Oxteddle Small Blue
Oxteddle Small Blue
Oxteddle Small Blue
Spent an hour or so with this colony, just watching,as they would rise to meet any other flying object that came nearby.One Peacock incessantly went through them time and again,such joy to watch.
Once I'd had my fill here it was time to have a look at Caburn Bottom itself but not before I'd managed to see Small Blues in the open grass clearly congregating around something,quite cool really around 6-8 at any one time on one cow-pat.Odd that in a field with myriads of cow-pats they were all on this one,something in that manure must be tasty :D
Caburn Bottom Small Blues
Even on my boot there was something worth looking for,salts coming out the leather no doubt,Italian leather!
It was behaviour I have never witnessed before so amazing.
After that and pretty much made up I moved onto the first big nettle bed at Caburn Bottom,just through the gate and many more Small Blues,clearly the corridor between these two colonies has much traffic as noted above.
Caburn Bottom  Nettle Bed
Caburn Bottom Nettle Bed
Caburn Bottom Small Blue
Caburn Bottom Small Blue
Caburn Bottom Small Blue
Caburn Bottom Small Blue
Also numbers of Brown Argus's increasing here.
Caburn Bottom Brown Argus
But that was a Small Blue day,i wanted to stay and watch the roost but i was running out of water and it was quite a trek back to the car.Ho well.
Caburn Bottom Small Blue
Caburn Bottom Small Blue
You alright? :D
Calf
Calf
The Lewes Downs
Caburn Oxteddle and Bible Bottom
Caburn Oxteddle and Bible Bottom
Dave
Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

18th May 2019 Lewes Downs and Environs,Sussex

And whilst coming off the hills into Malling chalk pits noted this lovely Wall Brown that was quite approachable,for a change.
Malling Down Wall
Malling Down Wall
And a Small Copper enjoying the evening.
Malling Down Small Copper
Malling Down Small Copper
Dave
Regards
Dave Browne
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wow that Wall is a fantastic shot Dave :D and all those Small Blues! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Don't worry about slipping off the pace - the pace is much over rated in my opinion :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

What a magnificent day! Thanks for putting things in context with the habitat shots, Dave. Helps me experience things vicariously!

Lovely Brown Argus to start your year, whilst the Adonis Blue, Dingy Skipper and Wall Brown are equally striking.
millerd

Post by millerd »

That is a brilliant photo of the Wall Brown - as fresh as they come and astonishingly amenable. Extraordinary. :)

That could well be my shot of the year so far. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:That is a brilliant photo of the Wall Brown - as fresh as they come and astonishingly amenable. Extraordinary.
Having had a further look, is that some sort of aberrant? The patterning on both wings is more intricate and heavier than normally seen.
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Thanks guys,I think the Wall was somewhat understated by me as I was still in my Small Blue zone......amazing.Looking at that Wall now I see what an amazing shot it is,best I've certainly ever got.One for the Grandchildren to admire hehe :D

Managed to squeeze in a few days down Dorzet with the girl,primarily to look for Scaley Crickets on Chesil and Wall Lizards on Portland but as these habitats are generally favourible for many other things,including butterflies,my focus swings all over the place!
Couldnt resist popping up to Cerne though to check in on the Marshies,I also wanted to check out the Lankham Bottom site but didnt quite make it.A day of two halves again..

24th May 2019 Giant Hill,Cerne Abbas

Love this site,I know most people head straight for the more easier walk at the bottom of the Giant but I prefer the wander round to the Eastern facing scarp,that is really much quieter,actually normally on my own.
Giant Hill,Eastern scarp.
Giant Hill,Eastern scarp.
It really was a matter of minutes before my first Marsh Fritillary of 2019 was safely in the camera,cool conditions after quite a cool night, but the sun was burning off the cloud and I wouldnt have long before these were on the wing.
Giant Hill Marsh Fritillary
Giant Hill Marsh Fritillary
As the day warms they move up the slope,so at the moment they were all on the lower third of the hill.Plenty of Burnets around.
Giant Hill Six spotted Burnet
Giant Hill Six spotted Burnet
As I approached the normal hot-spot I could see Fritillaries moving around but my initial attention was taken by my first Large Skipper of the season.
Giant Hill Large Skipper
Giant Hill Large Skipper
Also good numbers of Grizzled Skippers,some quite battered but some very fresh.
Giant Hill Grizzled Skipper
Giant Hill Grizzled Skipper
Giant Hill Grizzled Skipper 2
Giant Hill Grizzled Skipper 2
Also noted were many Dingy's, a couple of Green Hairstreaks,Orange Tips,Brimstones and Whites.
The Marshy action was well away and for the first time on this side of the hill I saw Duke Of Burgundys engaging the Marsh Fritillaries,always a give away when they do that :D I always knew there was a Duke colony on the Southern side but here not seen them before.Ficking through the 20 or so Marshy's here I quickly saw one that was so much more Orangey than the norm...taking a closer look definately an aberation but what type is beyond me,anyone help?Be grately appreciated.
Giant Hill Marsh Fritillary ab?
Giant Hill Marsh Fritillary ab?
The Spot!
Giant Hill Habitat
Giant Hill Habitat
They are without doubt beautiful animals.
Giant Hill Marsh Fritillary 3
Giant Hill Marsh Fritillary 3
They were now, with the sun on full tilt,beginning to become unapproachable so I focused in on the Dukes for my record shots and let them be,maybe 10 adults here, a full survey across this side of the reserve would no doubt produce good numbers methinks,another retirement thing...
Giant Hill Duke Of Burgundy
Giant Hill Duke Of Burgundy
Giant Hill Duke Of Burgundy 2
Giant Hill Duke Of Burgundy 2
The Mrs even found a lovely spot to do the knitting...not so bad.
Buchan Girl!
Buchan Girl!
Off to the Portland quarries now.
Thanks
Dave
Regards
Dave Browne
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those Dukes look in really good nick Dave :D :mrgreen: Great shot of the Marshie - it's difficult to say if it's an aberrant as they are so variable although the orange marginal band is noticeably bigger than most :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

So many things to like about that latest post, Dave.

I'm sure that Marsh Fritillary is an aberrant; there have been many so far this year.

Good too to see both Large and Grizzled Skippers together (and the Grizzlies are still in reasonable nick).

The Dukes are wonderful too. Shame they don't occur near where I live. :(

Return to “Personal Diaries”