Green Hairstreak, 2 camera setups, for ongoing comparisons.

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Testudo Man

Green Hairstreak, 2 camera setups, for ongoing comparisons.

Post by Testudo Man »

Whilst i favour my Panny FZ 150 for Butterfly images, i do take my Nikon V1 along as well, as im always trying to compare both camera setups.

The 6/5/2019 was a bleak day for sure(much like most of my butterfly trips this season!!).
Just 5 butterflies seen on the day! 2 locations in Kent, 2 Green Hairstreaks, 1 Large White, an 2 Small Whites! I have seen more butterflies/species back in February this year!....................Roll on June i say!

So, thankfully the day in question was not lost, i captured some of my best Green Hairstreak images to date.

Ist up, the Panasonic FZ150, coupled to a Polaroid 500D close up filter. Manual, f/4.5, 1/320, ISO 100. Jpeg, handheld, no cropping, basic editing.
P1880235-copy-to-800.jpg

Next up, Nikon V1/30-110mm cx lens, with Raynox 150 close up filter. Manual, f/5.6, 1/500, ISO 200. Jpeg, handheld, no cropping, basic editing.
DSC_8381-copy-to-800.jpg
Both pleasing images, i was happy with most, if not all, of the butterfly in focus. The Panasonic image is "warmer" than that of the Nikon. The Nikon Jpeg files are almost like Raw files(not that i ever shoot in Raw) but the Nikon images require slightly more levels of editing.

Comments/Questions always welcome, cheers Paul.
Tony Moore

Re: Green Hairstreak, 2 camera setups, for ongoing comparisons.

Post by Tony Moore »

To my very amateur eye, the second image is much better. 'Eye of the beholder', I guess...

Tony M.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Tony Moore wrote:To my very amateur eye, the second image is much better. 'Eye of the beholder', I guess...

Tony M.
Thanks for your opinion.

The Panasonic image is overall sharper(wing fringes etc) but that was probably down to camera settings/different size sensor than Nikon.
If i had of shot at something like f/8 (with the Nikon) then maybe the Nikon image would have been as sharp, in the same areas as the Panasonic?
Cheers Paul.
David M

Post by David M »

I've looked at these two images in the way folk look at the Mona Lisa, trying to figure out what it is that's catching the eye.

I like the description of the first image as being 'warmer', but for some reason I can't explain, the second image seems sharper. That must be an illusion, as both are pin sharp, but maybe the 'cooler' background of the second makes it appear that way.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

David M wrote:I've looked at these two images in the way folk look at the Mona Lisa, trying to figure out what it is that's catching the eye.

I like the description of the first image as being 'warmer', but for some reason I can't explain, the second image seems sharper. That must be an illusion, as both are pin sharp, but maybe the 'cooler' background of the second makes it appear that way.
Thanks for your input David.
You could be right, the cooler backround, could make the subject/butterfly appear sharper?
As these posted images are only approx 20% of the full size original files, they do look in focus(most, if not all of the butterfly).
But on closer inspection, the warmer Panasonic just beats the Nikon, when it comes to not only most of the butterfly in focus, but also the fine fringe hairs, also being in focus too.
As i mentioned in my other post, i should have had the Nikon set to f/8...but since, both cameras have different size sensors/lens, an 2 different types of close up filters were used, it was never going to be an fair/equal fight!

Overall, im very pleased with both the Panasonic and Nikon images, either one would do me :wink: but i always like to try comparisons, when out in the field.

PS. Ive just bought a Pansonic G7 with 12-60mm lens...so its "starting all over again" with a new system, which should be fun :roll:

Return to “Photography”