May 2019

Discussion forum for sightings.
Allan.W.

Re: May 2019

Post by Allan.W. »

What a great find Lee !! as you say probably a once in a lifetime . I came close a year or two back with a pair of heavily marked intermedias . Regards Allan.W.
P1110018.JPG
[
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Today in the near-Arctic north, I was amazed to see a “small” white flying at temperature of a mere 7.5C. Then in some ways even more surprising, two Speckled Woods sparring with air temperature of 8.0C although locally in their sunny glade it might have been a degree or so higher.

I can’t recall ever seeing a white or a brown on a day when I still needed the central heating on at home!

Jack
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Had a few flying visits today in my part of Kent ,first between 8-15 -9-15 am at a small local Grizzle site about 5 minutes from home ,they seem to be a bit slow getting underway at this site this year ,but anyway in an hour ,in perfect weather I managed too find just 2 ,
both females (I think !) ,hoping that this isn't it ,and that they are just a bit late !
Later we decided that a visit to our biggest Duke site(in Kent ) was in order so made our way to Bonsai Bank ,in Denge Wood ,near Chartham
as much for the Lady Orchids as the Dukes ,and in less than perfect weather we managed to see about 5 ,fresh individuals ,some which were being admired by several other enthusiasts ,including Essex Buzzard and his good lady ,nice to have a chat and be able to put a face to the name !.
The Dukes behaved impeccably ,including a female that sat in the same position for at least ten minutes (to my knowledge !) ,the Lady Orchids ,I reckon are about a week to ten days from their best ,and I,ve included a very pale specimen ,very similar to the variant known as " Green " Lady Orchid.
I,ve also got my eye on one which could be an all White variant. (i'll be back !!)
Mid -afternoon the weather wasn,t much ,but I decided on another quick look at my Grizzle site and after about three quarters of an hour I,d
managed 2 (again !) and also added my first Small Heath of the season . A good day ………………… in patches !
Regards Allan.W.
P1040958.JPG
P1040970.JPG
P1040983.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:Today in the near-Arctic north...
Try the Antarctic south, Jack!! I've had my heating on DURING THE DAY today which is practically unheard of in May. Of course, it brightened up after 5.30pm. :evil:
David M

Post by David M »

A cool but sunny forecast for Sunday morning (5th) tempted me out to Whiteford Burrows on the Gower coast. Sadly, I only got half an hour before the clouds rolled in.

That was time to see a variety of species though, including this elderly Peacock:
1Peacock(1).jpg
I wanted to check how the Brown Argus colony was getting on, and there were a fair few flying, although many showed signs of wear given that they've been out a fortnight:
1BrArg(1).jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Nice to see you at Denge / Bonsai Bank, Allan, we recon we saw about half a dozen Dukes, including two females, plus a Dingy Skipper. Nothing else was flying in the only marginally suitable weather. Pictures to follow on my PD. We also headed down to Samphire Hoe, where we saw a grand total of one Large White. Plus lots of early spider orchids.
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Pant-y-Sais Nature reserve (Glamorgan) - Saturday 4th May:

Orange tip (5)
Peacock (2 in poor condition)
Small copper (5-10)
Brimstone (2)
Treble bar moth (1)
Despite the cold weather, butterflies were flying some being blown by the wind but some finding time to feed when the sun came out.
The Small coppers were all in mint condition. Some had visible blue spots while others did not.
SmallCopper1.JPG
SmallCopper2.JPG
TrebleBar_9426.JPG
Sylvie
David M

Post by David M »

Sylvie_h wrote:Pant-y-Sais Nature reserve (Glamorgan) - Saturday 4th May
Where exactly is that, Sylvie? Is it worth a visit?
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Allan.W. wrote:What a great find Lee !! as you say probably a once in a lifetime . I came close a year or two back with a pair of heavily marked intermedias . Regards Allan.W.
P1110018.JPG[
Brilliant Allan!! Where did you take your photo??
Cheers,

Lee.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks Lee ! Not quite as striking as your two beauties ,but good chance I won,t see that again !
The photo was taken at a site near Shadoxhurst (in Kent ) ,at this site all though only a small (ish ) colony eighty percent ,are either Taras ,intermedia or Scabellata ,normal specimens are quite unusual ,there was another site about a mile from this one and that was very similar (percentage wise ) but sadly after being under water for the winter 16' -Spring 17; and then trampled to death by Highland cattle only one was seen in May 17 ,
and none have been seen since ! Haven,t had the weather (yet ) to visit the Shadoxhurst site ,but a mate saw ) 6 there on a visit a few days back (said he couldn't get close enough to see whether they were abberant . Regards Allan.W.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Over the winter months I spent a fair amount of time on "Googleearth " trying to locate any new areas nearby which could hold Grizzled Skippers,and have visited a few ,but unfortunately the weather (in my part of Kent ) has not been conducive to Grizzled Skipper watching ! they're quite late to emerge around here ,sometimes not really getting going till about the second or third week in May , so hopefully if the weather does pick up I,ll be visiting a few more . Today we had a 1 hour break in the clouds ,so decided to visit I known site ,I was lucky and managed to find a minimum of 6 ,but possibly as many as 9 ,all that I managed to get the bins on were males ,amongst them was this one .
Regards Allan.W.
P1050138.JPG
P1050163.JPG
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Allan.W. wrote:Over the winter months I spent a fair amount of time on "Googleearth " trying to locate any new areas nearby which could hold Grizzled Skippers,and have visited a few ,but unfortunately the weather (in my part of Kent ) has not been conducive to Grizzled Skipper watching ! they're quite late to emerge around here ,sometimes not really getting going till about the second or third week in May , so hopefully if the weather does pick up I,ll be visiting a few more . Today we had a 1 hour break in the clouds ,so decided to visit I known site ,I was lucky and managed to find a minimum of 6 ,but possibly as many as 9 ,all that I managed to get the bins on were males ,amongst them was this one .
Regards Allan.W.
P1050138.JPGP1050163.JPG
Well done Allan!!! You got an aberration of 'taras'!! Congratulations indeed!

Cheers,

Lee (Cornwall).
8)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I once found a Grizzly site in Cambridgeshire courtesy Google Earth but unknown to me, it had already been "discovered".

Butterfliers have a knack of "lurking" undetected. I have this month seen Orange Tips in places where I hadn't the previous five years.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote:...all that I managed to get the bins on were males ,amongst them was this one
Spectacular individual, Allan. Excellent find.
David M

Post by David M »

Yesterday (Fri 10th), I managed to finally track down a few Dingy Skippers on waste ground behind my workplace.

Probably 7 or 8 were about, although in the past I have seen dozens at this location.
1Dingy2(1).jpg
1Dingy3(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Spent 2 hours at Whiteford Burrows on the north Gower coast today. 22 Small Heaths seen; my first of 2019:
1SmHth2(1).jpg
Lots of Brimstones and still a dozen or so Orange Tips.

About a dozen Brown Argus were seen in the dune system:
1BrArg(1).jpg
A couple of Dingy Skippers recorded on the way up the steep limestone hill at this site:
1Dingy(1).jpg
Other species seen were Green Veined White, Peacock, Speckled Wood & Red Admiral
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Orange Tips doing well this year in Moray/Inverness. One yesterday at Ferness 200 metres above sea level (temperature 10.0C) and a garden visitor (80 metres asl).

Jack
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks for comments all ! This morning (7-30 - 9 AM ) re-visited a local Grizzle site ,again ,and although the weather was perfect
a bit cold first thing (10 c ) with slight frost !
First Grizzle was flying at 8-10 and it was a "Taras " female (to go with yesterdays male !) it was a bit hard going ,and in the hour and a half I was present only managed 4 (inc luding another ab;) ,numerous Mother Shiptons ,Cinnabar moths and Speckled Yellows ,a single Small Heath ,and a single
Green Hairstreak ,which is quite notable for this site.
Glad you.re seeing Orange -Tips Jack ,I,ve had a very poor season with them myself ! Regards Allan.W.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Marsh Fritillary out in excellent numbers in central Lincolnshire today, despite fears of a population crash after last year's explosion. This spring, thousands of underfed, starving larvae have been seen leaving the site due to almost all of the Devil's-bit Scabious being eaten by the plague-like numbers of caterpillars. Many of the larvae perished, but some found a haven by moving into the surrounding woodland and feeding on honeysuckle. Enough clearly survived to ensure another great season for this species, with over 500 counted this morning. Some nice variation in colour and pattern seen today, my favourite being the first one below:
Marsh Frit male 120519.JPG
Marsh Fritillary female.JPG
Marsh Fritillary 7 120519.JPG
Marsh Fritillary 6 120519.JPG
Marsh Fritillary 5 120519.JPG
Marsh Fritillary 4 120519.JPG
Marsh Fritillary 3 120519.JPG
Marsh Fritillary 2 120519.JPG
Dingy Skipper also out in fair numbers, including the mating pair below:
Dingy Skipper pair 2.JPG
Elsewhere in the Limewoods, a couple of White Admiral caterpillars:
White Ad larva Southrey.JPG
WA larva College.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent news, Pete. They surely can't be far off in my neck of the woods, along with Small Pearl Bordereds. :)

Return to “Sightings”