Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by millerd »

Stunning shots, Neil.

I popped into Rewell Wood this afternoon and was staggered by how many were flying. I just had to stand still and they would appear from all directions. We owe a huge debt of thanks to all those involved in making this happen - including your good self of course! :)

Cheers,

Dave
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hear hear!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Neil - Its a 1 hour drive for me to see Pearls and because of circumstances I don't do this every year so I have seen none so far. It seems all I need to do is visit your PD. Its a lot closer and I get to see them mating and also the odd ab as well!!! Also, amongst all your wonderful pics of them is that one on a Bluebell. Magnificent. And going back in your PD slightly, a great shot of a Grizzly from underneath. You must have been standing on your head to get that one!
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:....my final tally for six compartments reached 243.
Absolutely marvellous, Neil. Clearly, the work that has gone in here has been perfect for the species and quite rightly you are now reaping the rewards.

This will hopefully not only sustain this butterfly in that area but also allow it to expand, thus reversing what was hitherto a depressing decline.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That's a phenomenal result and just goes to show what can be done with a some knowledge and the will to make it happen! Lets hope other counties take note.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great to read of the fantastic numbers of PBF at Rewell Wood.
Will Abbots be able to match that?.
Lovely images of a very photogenic species.

Keep up the great work,
Trevor.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks to all for your comments. I managed a subsequent count of 306 :shock: over the entire site; probably the highest number ever recorded at Rewell Wood. However, I think they've now peaked here for this year (a high proportion of females in my last count), so my focus will now move to monitoring other, later sites.
BWs, Neil
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I managed a subsequent count of 306 :shock: over the entire site; probably the highest number ever recorded at Rewell Wood
I've lost my data but in 1974 I had a count of something like 100. The records might be hiding somewhere in Sussex Wildlife archives as I had certainly submitted them.

Of course 45 years ago (!) PBF wasn't noteworthy in Sussex. The way present conservations efforts are going, PBF might again not be noteworthy in another 45 years time. Hope you last that long Neil. You should by then have already received your ton-up congratulatory text message from King William V.

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack. If PBFs are doing that well by then, I'll be a very happy 103 year old. Texts will probably be obsolete.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Dukes

On Sunday (5 May) I visited the Heyshott Escarpment and Graffham Down Trust reserves, hoping to find Duke of Burgundy at both locations. The weather was only periodically good enough to tempt them into action (and it's still early in the season), but my tally of 11 at Heyshott was still a little disappointing.

I found 2 male Dukes at the Scott's Corner (GDT) reserve, which gives hope that the recent colonisation may become firmly established. I also saw Dingy and Grizzled Skippers at both sites, and my first Fly Orchids of the year at Heyshott.

I'll be leading a walk for GDT next Saturday (11 May), leaving Graffham Church at 10.30 am.
BC Duke of Burgundy, Heyshott Escarpment 5.5.19.jpg
BC Dingy Skipper, Heyshott Escarpment 5.5.19.jpg
BC Fly Orchid, Heyshott Escarpment 5.5.19.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Great work Neil ! Sadly don,t think I ,m going to be down that way till the third week in June …………...gutted !
I love to see the Pearls ,and it was a treat to see them at Rewell last season ,still perhaps I may get lucky with the Small Pearls ,at Park Gate ……
heres hoping ! Regards Allan.W.
Just been flicking through my copy of Edward Newmans "British Butterflies " it always tickles me to read ,just how common they once were .
" One of the very commonest of wood butterflies in England " and "It swarms (!) in the London district " (!!)
and " it is found in every county list received ,with the exception of Derbyshire " .
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Ah, all these exotic species! Dukes, Grizzled and Dingy Skippers - three butterflies I have never seen. It is amazing how different things are down south. We are still experiencing frosts after to false starts to the season! :D
David M

Post by David M »

306 is an incredible count, Neil. Well done to you and your team!

If temperatures round your way were anything like as suppressed as those near me on Sunday & Monday, then I'm not surprised you didn't see many butterflies. 11c might be alright for the adult overwinterers, but it's a bit of a shock to Dukes, Dingies, Brown Argus et al.

Hopefully we'll return to more clement conditions very soon.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Allan. If you're coming south in the third week of June I think SPBF (first brood) will be all but over on the Sussex reserves. I'd go for Purple Emperor at Knepp.

Hi Nick. You could always treat yourself to a holiday in Sussex next mid June. I'd make sure you saw Dukes, Grizzles, Dingy and others, such as Adonis Blue.

Hi David. With temperatures set to rise at the weekend, I think next week should be a big one for many of our rarities.

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Pearls And Pipits

With Pearl-bordered Fritillary numbers having peaked at Rewell Wood, my focus has turned to monitoring a couple of PBF reintroduction sites, including Stansted Forest and Charlton Forest (part of the BC Fritillaries for the Future project). Things are looking good at both locations.

While at the latter site on Tuesday, I flushed a bird from right at my feet. A careful step backwards revealed a well hidden Tree Pipit nest. I took no more than 30 seconds to take a couple of shots and quickly retreated to a safe distance, from where I watched the female quickly return to her brood of six beautifully marked eggs.

During my tour of the site I heard at least three singing males. This is one of the many unplanned benefits of the conservation work done for butterflies; the greatly widened margins of the forest road and rides have increased the foraging and nesting opportunities for Tree Pipits and many other species.
Tree Pipit nest, Charlton Forest 7.5.19.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks for that Neil ,I,ll definitely look into Knepp …………..Purple Emps are a bit thin on the ground ,here in Kent !
Regards Allan.W.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Allan
I should have said "west" - I forgot you're equally south!
Do consider visiting Knepp; it's a fabulous place, and there's so much more on offer than the hundreds of Purple Emperors.
BWs, Neil
David M

Post by David M »

…my focus has turned to monitoring a couple of PBF reintroduction sites, including Stansted Forest and Charlton Forest (part of the BC Fritillaries for the Future project). Things are looking good at both locations.
Are the above locations in the ‘pipeline’ or have the reintroductions already started, Neil?
kevling

Post by kevling »

Neil, I love the photo of the perched Duke of Burgundy. Such magnificent markings.

I hope you don't object to me asking a question. I have been reading your diary with some interest and will be holidaying in Sussex at the end of May. I think I will be too late for PBF but would very much like to see SPBF. I will be staying near Lewes and would be grateful for any tips on where to get best results. I think the nearest to me may be Park Corner Heath.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Kev
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David. These reintroductions, performed in accordance with the ‘BC Code on Introductions and Re-introductions 2010’, took place in 2016 and 2018 respectively. There is another underway as I write, but we don't publicise the programmes until the job is finished, in order to allow the butterflies to get on with their initial business unhindered.

Thanks, Kev. End May should be spot-on for SPBF at the BC Park Corner Heath and adjacent Rowland Wood reserves. I'm hoping the first will emerge in about a week from now.

BWs, Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”