Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

An early morning visit to Abbots Wood was made in order to find some butterflies in the process of warming up.
This was largely successful, aided by several spells of cloud cover.
The first sighting was of a male Pearl Bordered Fritillary on a Birch sapling, followed by a very nice Small Copper.
Over the course of the morning, several Green Hairstreaks put in an appearance, including one that obligingly
perched on a Bluebell, a lovely combination.
I was later joined by James and later, Ben, and I think we all obtained some satisfactory PBF. closed wing shots
during a longer spell of cloud.

Good to see you both again.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1350106.JPG
P1350037.JPG
P1350014.JPG
P1350093.JPG
P1350020.JPG
P1340980.JPG
P1350079.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Trevor :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks, Goldie.

YOUR HELP REQUIRED.

This morning I went up to High and Over. I spotted a Small Tortoiseshell with unusually
pale forewing markings which extended into the hind wings.
This was the first Small Tort I've seen in East Sussex this year.
Unfortunately, the butterfly was distant and on the wrong side of a barbed wire fence,
so the image below was taken on full zoom and then heavily cropped.

Any thoughts ?.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1350117.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

High and Over was my destination this morning to catch up with Spring brood Wall Browns.
They were easy to find, one was even found within 2mins of arrival. All were very frisky, except
one which I nicknamed ' new boy ', because he was very fresh, and hadn't learnt the art
of quick escape, when there was an attempt to photograph him.
Only males were found, about twelve in all, and they all, except the one mentioned above,
maintained their reputation as one of the trickiest butterflies to approach.

Trevor.
Attachments
Note twin eye spots.
Note twin eye spots.
P1350138.JPG
P1350129.JPG
P1350123.JPG
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Ah, Trevor, what can I say. I'm sat here with no heating or hot water and the engineer can't get here til Thursday. The fence is only half up and I've had to have a tree surgeon out to take down another tree.......... and you are posting smashing images of PBF and Walls and the sun has been out all day :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Wall shots Trevor - I can't remember the name of the ab with extra eye spots - anticrassipuncta or something? :? Whatever the name brill shots :D As for the Small Tort it could be one of several things - water/abrasive scale damage, pathogenic or possibly age but due to the consistency is it a aberrant? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Excellent stuff Trevor. I was in Sussex yesterday, hoped I might see you at Mill Hill, perhaps next time!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers, everyone. I'm sure our paths will cross, Mark. We met in Sussex and Wilts last year!.

I had a spare hour yesterday afternoon, so it was off to the old railway.
This site in particular is better in the morning, so pm visits aren't made very often.
Highlights included two female Red Admirals, a Green veined White, and the discovery of a single OT egg.
Back home, a fresh female Holly Blue landed on one of my shrubs for a quick shot.
Attachments
P1350158.JPG
P1350152.JPG
P1350144.JPG
P1350159.JPG
P1350175.JPG
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Trevor - Lovely "String of Pearls" shots and an interesting Small Tort aberration. Also the Walls, not a butterfly I am able to get to see where I live. Fantastic stuff.
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

You've had a productive few days by the look of things, Trevor. Good to see the Wall Browns, but the Pearl Bordered Fritillaries are the most eye-catching. Let's hope they have a good flight period.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Today almost turned out to be a waste of time. Leaving home, the cloud was breaking up nicely.
But on arrival at Kithurst flower meadow the cloud cover was complete, and the very light breeze was chilly.
It was not until after lunch that some milky sunshine appeared, and the temperature rose.
This brought out three Dingy Skippers, a fresh Grizzled Skipper, a very fresh Brown Argus,
and two Green veined Whites, and flyby Brimstone, Red Admiral, male OT, and a Holly Blue.
Unfortunately no Duke of Burgundy appeared.
But at least I managed three new species for this year. :D .

Trevor.
Attachments
P1350192.JPG
P1350188.JPG
P1350183.JPG
P1350194.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of shots Trevor especially the Brown Argus :mrgreen: not seen one yet but I reckon there could be some at Tilshead by now :D I still haven't got a passable shot of a Green-veined White either :? :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers, Wurzel. It might be worthwhile leaving Tilshead until the three blue species are on the wing.
It was fabulous there last Spring. I was under constant pressure, which of the dozen or so butterflies
in view at any one time do I point the camera at!. And yes there were plenty of Brown Argus to be seen.

All the best,
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Butterflies Trevor especially the Grizzled Skipper :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

That's a lovely female GVW, Trevor, and your Dingy Skipper is making me yearn for a bit of sunshine over the Bank Holiday weekend so I can go out and track down a few myself.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Fast asleep this evening. My first Common Blue of the season.
Attachments
P1350226.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

A very restful pose, Trevor - still, if you had the same weather today as I did, I'm surprised it's not tucked into a duvet!

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice one Trevor they make a lovely sight when they roost like that, must have cheered you up :D :mrgreen:
First Marshie today...soon be time to get to the hill :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

I awoke to see the sun rising and a totally cloudless sky this morning
By about 07.30 my east facing rear garden was really starting to warm up so I thought
a sheltered spot, I visit regularly at this time of year, in Abbots Wood might be worthwhile.
This proved to be the case with two Green Hairstreaks, about eight male Pearl Bordered Fritillaries,
And two Small Coppers found. As the cloud increased I thought it was about time for some breakfast.

A very good morning.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1350258.JPG
P1350240.JPG
P1350300.JPG
P1350302.JPG
P1350266.JPG
P1350279.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor