May 2019

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

May 2019

Post by David M »

Things have been building up nicely so far in 2019, so unless we get a prolonged cool, miserable spell, I've a feeling May could be very productive....
millerd

Re: May 2019

Post by millerd »

My first Brown Argus of the year today on my local patch near Heathrow. In fact there were two, but only one of them posed for the camera. Unusual for me to see them here first, since I saw none at either Denbies or Mill Hill yesterday and the chalk of the North and South Downs is normally ahead of my patch.
BA3 010519.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Yesterday (1st May), I took a leisurely stroll in cloudy weather around the local airport. I was delighted to see 4 Small Tortoiseshells, which served to boost my annual tally to 13 (normally it's 80+).
1ST(1).jpg
Not too much flying, unsurprisingly. A handful of Orange Tips, a couple of Whites, a Peacock and a few Green Hairstreaks, including this individual, who had the most continuous white line of all the ones I've seen so far this year:
1GH(1).jpg
Medard

Post by Medard »

Humming Bird Hawk Moth in my garden here in sunny Somerset. 04-05-2019
Medard

Post by Medard »

Humming Bird Hawk Moth in my garden here in sunny Somerset. 04-05-2019
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

3 male Common Blues, 1 Brown Argus, 3 Grizzled Skippers, 6 Dingy Skippers and at least 12 Small Coppers (I think the most I have seen in one place) at Denbies Hillside today.

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
David M

Post by David M »

On Saturday 4th May, I saw my first Wall Brown of 2019, in the cemetery at the foot of Kilvey Hill in Swansea.

This is a reliable spot for them and would probably be even more so if the authorities didn't insist on cutting the grass every other week! :(
1WB1(1).jpg
Johnfosteruk

Post by Johnfosteruk »

I went to Aish Tor on Dartmoor today and had a nice little haul.

6 Pearl Bordered Fritillaries
2 Clouded Yellows
3 Green Hairstreaks
1 Small Heath,

I only got pics of the PB, everyone else was motoring around, high on sunshine! To be fair the SPB were unpredictable as well so these shots were hard won and there was no chance of moving for better angles!
DSC_8363_dXo.jpg
DSC_8370_dXo.jpg
DSC_8372_dXo.jpg
DSC_8375_dXo.jpg
DSC_8376_dXo.jpg
DSC_8380_dXo.jpg
DSC_8383_dXo.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I returned on 4th May from a week’s holiday on Isle of Mull where I formerly lived (2012-15).

Three species of butterfly seen (and possibly a fourth, Peacock) : Green veined White. Orange Tip and Small Tortoiseshell (one ST seen at 260 metres above sea level). The only significant change was that Orange Tip now occurs in the northeast of Mull where I never saw them before. Green-veined Whites remained, as before, the most numerous species including the adjacent Isle of Iona. This was the only place I took any butterfly photos.
19-05-02-039-Iona.jpg
That is, as best I can manage, a reasonably natural colour reproduction. GVWs are quite heavily marked there and – maybe just an illusion – the antennae seem extraordinarily long.

Mull clearly has had quite a lot of forest clearance (normal forestry operations) so this might benefit species such as Small PB Fritillary. There is evidence (supported by some anecdotal information) that the climate has become significantly drier. Mind you, that wouldn’t be difficult: in my final 12 months living on Mull, I recorded an astonishing 2,600 millimetres of rain

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Interesting address (property for sale)

3 bed detached house for sale Just added: Brimstone Way, Speckled Wood, Carlisle, Cumbria CA1

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:Interesting address (property for sale)

3 bed detached house for sale Just added: Brimstone Way, Speckled Wood, Carlisle, Cumbria CA1
LOL! :D Yours for £200k!

I actually googled that, Jack, just to make sure you weren't up to mischief.

Sad thing is, I reckoned it might be an estate named upon a butterfly theme. It isn't, so I suspect 'Brimstone' and 'Speckled Wood' are arbitrary choices in random juxtaposition. :(
Rivoldini

Post by Rivoldini »

Abysmal weather up north but managed to get this ab striata Orange Tip this afternoon
Attachments
1a.jpg
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

I took these photos of the rare aberration ab: 'taras' in both male & female while they were mating at the annual fieldtrip on 5th May, 2019 led by Paul Browning & the once in a lifetime chance to witness a mating pair of Grizzled Skippers ab: 'taras' both extreme & both having their wings open whilst mating!! Fantastic afternoon with the excellent & friendly & very knowledgeable Cornwall Butterfly & Moth Society (CBMS). Perfect timing datewise for our fieldtrip with 20 people attending!! Well done everyone!! (y)
[img]
Grizzled Skippers  ab taras mating Penhale Sands 5th May, 2019. Close up.jpg
[/img]
Grizzled Skippers  ab 'taras mating Penhale Sands 5th May, 2019.jpg
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

lee3764 wrote:I took these photos of the rare aberration ab: 'taras' in both male & female while they were mating at the annual fieldtrip on 5th May, 2019 led by Paul Browning & the once in a lifetime chance to witness a mating pair of Grizzled Skippers ab: 'taras' both extreme & both having their wings open whilst mating!! Fantastic afternoon with the excellent & friendly & very knowledgeable Cornwall Butterfly & Moth Society (CBMS). Perfect timing datewise for our fieldtrip with 20 people attending!! Well done everyone!! (y)
[img]Grizzled%20Skippers%20%20ab%20taras%20mating%20Penhale%20Sands%205th%20May,%202019.%20Close%20up.jpg[/img]Grizzled Skippers ab 'taras mating Penhale Sands 5th May, 2019.jpg
Priceless photo's there Lee - fantastic!
I had the good fortune to visit Cornwall's taras site last year with Paul Browning and John Chapple - great place. Saw quite a few ab.taras but nothing quite as sensational as your photo's - great result!
Pete
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

petesmith wrote:
lee3764 wrote:I took these photos of the rare aberration ab: 'taras' in both male & female while they were mating at the annual fieldtrip on 5th May, 2019 led by Paul Browning & the once in a lifetime chance to witness a mating pair of Grizzled Skippers ab: 'taras' both extreme & both having their wings open whilst mating!! Fantastic afternoon with the excellent & friendly & very knowledgeable Cornwall Butterfly & Moth Society (CBMS). Perfect timing datewise for our fieldtrip with 20 people attending!! Well done everyone!! (y)
[img]Grizzled%20Skippers%20%20ab%20taras%20mating%20Penhale%20Sands%205th%20May,%202019.%20Close%20up.jpg[/img]Grizzled Skippers ab 'taras mating Penhale Sands 5th May, 2019.jpg
Priceless photo's there Lee - fantastic!
I had the good fortune to visit Cornwall's taras site last year with Paul Browning and John Chapple - great place. Saw quite a few ab.taras but nothing quite as sensational as your photo's - great result!
Pete
Yes Paul Browning led this trip yesterday. John Chapple wasn't there but Dave Spencer was & 20 people altogether! Just good fortune to see this but there were plenty of pairs of eyes looking so we made our own luck! They are not quite at their peak yet in my opinion Pete. All the best.......Lee 8)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

One hell of a Bank Holiday...
Saturday 14+ Pearls at Bentley including pair in cop and ab. intermedia Grizzled Skipper at Sidbury Hill
Martin Down yesterday Small Heath and a open wing shots of male and female Brimstone
Martin Down today open wing shots of male and female Holly Blue, 8 Small Coppers, my first Brown Argus of the year and Marsh Fritillary.All appearing in my PD around July time :wink:
DSC_0940 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Johnfosteruk wrote:I went to Aish Tor on Dartmoor today and had a nice little haul.

6 Pearl Bordered Fritillaries
2 Clouded Yellows
3 Green Hairstreaks
1 Small Heath,
Clouded Yellow is a fabulous sighting for this time of year, John. Mind you, PBFs are pretty desirable too.
David M

Post by David M »

Saw my first Common Blue of the year in Swansea on Saturday 4th:
1CommBluns(1).jpg
Still plenty of Orange Tips, though Brimstones and vanessids are considerably on the wane.
David M

Post by David M »

lee3764 wrote:I took these photos of the rare aberration ab: 'taras' in both male & female while they were mating at the annual fieldtrip on 5th May, 2019 led by Paul Browning & the once in a lifetime chance to witness a mating pair of Grizzled Skippers ab: 'taras' both extreme & both having their wings open whilst mating!!
Phenomenal, Lee. Just seeing one is a treat but a mating pair is (correct me if I'm wrong) unheard of!
Johnfosteruk

Post by Johnfosteruk »

David M wrote: Clouded Yellow is a fabulous sighting for this time of year, John. Mind you, PBFs are pretty desirable too.
It rather took me by surprise and I did give chase but she wasn't stopping for anyone!
PBFs are lovely and Aish Tor is a wonderful site for Frits, I'll be paying many visits this summer. :)

Return to “Sightings”