Not Butterflies, But What Is Going On Here?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Paul Harfield

Not Butterflies, But What Is Going On Here?

Post by Paul Harfield »

When cutting things back in the garden I like to have a rummage to see what lurks, rather than chucking the chaff straight on the bonfire, compost heap or taking straight to the tip. I imagine most of us are that way inclined. Today was such a day whilst cutting back some potted Blackthorn which had got too big, a few bits came to light:
A pair of ladybirds in cop which I have not seen before, nothing unusual in that. However, the male and female are entirely different in appearance. Is this male and female showing dimorphism? or is it a pairing between different species? What is going on?
A pair of ladybirds in cop which I have not seen before, nothing unusual in that. However, the male and female are entirely different in appearance. Is this male and female showing dimorphism? or is it a pairing between different species? What is going on?
P1190503.JPG
Also several leaves with similar groups of eggs which look very butterfly like, but are obviously something else entirely. Any ideas what they are?
Also several leaves with similar groups of eggs which look very butterfly like, but are obviously something else entirely. Any ideas what they are?
P1190537.JPG
bugboy

Re: Not Butterflies, But What Is Going On Here?

Post by bugboy »

I think those ladybirds are the Harlequin Ladybird, a highly variable species. The eggs are ladybird eggs from the look of it too :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Re: Not Butterflies, But What Is Going On Here?

Post by David M »

Harlequin Ladybird it is! Just been reading about this incredibly variable species and it seems it is an invasive pest in the UK:

https://www.buglife.org.uk/bugs-and-hab ... n-ladybird

Return to “Identification”