Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Wurzel wrote:Some stunning fresh Walls and Grizzlies Rex and cracking Greenstreaks :D :mrgreen: I don;t think I've seen whites dusting like that before. I wondered at first if it was just a messy eater and it had some pollen on it but a really close view shows that they're definitely scales, you can see a them following the line of one of the veins on the fore wing as well :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel, It’s always great seeing my first Wall Browns of the year, but it’s highly unusual for me to see my first Grizzled Skippers on the same day. I have never seen a dusting of white scales on a Green Hairstreak before either Wurzel! They were quite visible to the naked eye, I can’t seem to find another like it on the internet. It’s an odd one!
Andrew555 wrote:Amazing detail on that fresh Green Hairstreak James. :mrgreen: :D And interesting white scales on that other one, great stuff all round. :D
Thanks Andrew, I was really pleased with the fresh Green Hairstreak photo. They look so smart when they are undamaged. Even a bit worn they are still lovely. The white scales are not something I’ve ever come across before.
Goldie M wrote:OH! I'm so envious Rex, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: top of my list is your lovely shot of the Grizzled Skipper, I wouldn't mind the Green Hair Streaks either if I knew where to find them here :D Goldie :D
There should be some near to you Goldie, they are supposedly common throughout the UK. They don’t seem too fussy about habitat, they can be found on downland, heathland, woodland, places with lots of scrub.
It took me a while to see my first Grizzled Skippers this year, I was delighted to finally find a few.
David M wrote:Superb, James. Green Hairstreaks & Grizzlies I've seen, but Wall Brown is next on my radar, and if I can get one in the kind of pose you captured in your first image I'll be more than happy!
I had a lot of fun trying to photograph the fresh Wall’s with my 105mm macro lens David. I sometimes take a longer lens with me but back pain usually forces me to leave extra gear at home these days. Still, it really put my stalking skills to the test! Not to mention my patience!! I hope you connect with some Wall Browns soon.

Thank you all for your comments.

Best wishes,

James
millerd

Post by millerd »

A splendid fresh Wall, James. :) A species I need to catch up with on an excursion I think, and I'd be very happy with a shot like that!

Cheers,

Dave
Butterflysaurus rex

millerd wrote:A splendid fresh Wall, James. :) A species I need to catch up with on an excursion I think, and I'd be very happy with a shot like that!

Cheers,

Dave
Many thanks Dave :D they are infuriatingly difficult to photograph but that makes it all the more satisfying when you get a nice shot. A bit like Holly Blues in fact, so you shouldn't have any trouble with the Walls. :wink: Hopefully you'll connect with some Wall Browns soon.

Best wishes,

James
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

James - love that close-up of the Greenstreak wing. I am getting into close-up shots myself. It can open up a whole new world of things you never noticed before about butterflies.
Ernie F
Butterflysaurus rex

ernie f wrote:James - love that close-up of the Greenstreak wing. I am getting into close-up shots myself. It can open up a whole new world of things you never noticed before about butterflies.
Thank you Ernie, yes it's one of the best things about macro photography, the detail captured by modern digital cameras is astonishing.

Into the wild woods

I'm a bit behind with my diary due to a family emergency so these photos were taken on Monday. The forecast promised a chilly day with variable cloud, it was only Half right. The cloud was indeed variable but the temperature was a lot warmer than indicated. That meant the butterflies were very active indeed even during the frequent cloudy spells. Despite this a few opportunities presented themselves, and although none of the few Pearls seen were in the best condition it's always a joy to see them.

Other sightings of interest were a male Hairy Dragonfly and on the way back to the car a female Orange Tip!

Thanks for looking,

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"No orange but still beautiful" - definitely :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Love the Pearls as well of course - they're a real star butterfly :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's a striking Orange Tip with such bold upf spots, James. Standout PBFs too; I think cloudy conditions really help with this species. the dimmer light seems to bring out the colours much better.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

James, lovely shots of the Pearls, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: maybe I'll find some GHS's before I go home :D Goldie :D
Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:"No orange but still beautiful" - definitely :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Love the Pearls as well of course - they're a real star butterfly :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Indeed they are Wurzel, I will never tire of seeing Pearls. Hopefully you'll catch up with some soon.
David M wrote:That's a striking Orange Tip with such bold upf spots, James. Standout PBFs too; I think cloudy conditions really help with this species. the dimmer light seems to bring out the colours much better.
With the added bonus of slowing them down a little bit too David. they are incredibly fast when the sun shines.
Goldie M wrote:James, lovely shots of the Pearls, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: maybe I'll find some GHS's before I go home :D Goldie :D
Thank you :D I hope you do find some Green Hairstreaks Goldie, it appears to be a pretty good year for them around here.

Thanks you for your comments.

Gloomy but good

Last Wednesday afternoon I managed to get out for a bit, the weather was overcast but quite warm. The first Butterfly I saw was a tired female Orange Tip, and then a fresher looking male made an appearance.

Next I a spotted a Green Hairstreak, unlike most butterflies I find they can be more difficult to approach when it's cloudy.

Very fresh Wall Brown numbers continue to build, a stunning butterfly particularly when fresh. Optimum stealth required when using a 105mm Macro lens!

Other sightings of note included this zero spotted Ladybird seen earlier in the garden.

Only the second yellow Crab Spider I've ever seen.

This Hornet appeared to be fast asleep!

And finally I was delighted to see some Green-winged Orchids.

Thanks for Looking,

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trevor

Post by trevor »

That male Wall Brown is really fresh and in a perfect pose.
I know what you mean about stealth ( and luck ) when using a close-up lens.
I look upon Walls as a challenge.

All the best,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots as per usual Rex - just goes to show that it's always worth a punt :D Got my Pearls now I need a Wall - one as nice as yours would do nicely :wink: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's the second set of Green Winged Orchid images posted on here this last weekend, James. They're absolutely beautiful.

I think Wall Browns would be the last species I'd try to attach my macro lens for (unless it was a mating pair).
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi James,

Just catching up on your recent reports, I love the colours on the photo of PBF underside against the background of blurred (presumably) bluebells :D

And well done on sneaking up on that Wall with your 105mm lens, some real ninja stealth skills on display there :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.
Butterflysaurus rex

trevor wrote:That male Wall Brown is really fresh and in a perfect pose.
I know what you mean about stealth ( and luck ) when using a close-up lens.
I look upon Walls as a challenge.

All the best,
Trevor.
Yes indeed, that makes it all the more satisfying when you do get a good shot of one, and of course they are lovely looking butterflies so the frustration is worth it in the end.
Wurzel wrote:Great set of shots as per usual Rex - just goes to show that it's always worth a punt :D Got my Pearls now I need a Wall - one as nice as yours would do nicely :wink: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
I'm glad you've got your pearls Wurzel. My technique to photograph Wall Browns (that I've been practicing for many years) is to creep up as slowly and carefully as you can, then gently raise your camera to your eye being careful not to make any sudden movements... and then just as you get ready to press the shutter watch the thing fly off one microsecond before you can react. Repeat this many many times and say things like "oh bother" and "whoops not again" etc :wink:
David M wrote:That's the second set of Green Winged Orchid images posted on here this last weekend, James. They're absolutely beautiful.

I think Wall Browns would be the last species I'd try to attach my macro lens for (unless it was a mating pair).
The Green Winged Orchids really are lovely David. Wall Browns don't seem to care what lens I've got on, they just fly off anyway. If I'm lucky I may get one decent shot in every 20 attempts!
Neil Freeman wrote:Hi James,

Just catching up on your recent reports, I love the colours on the photo of PBF underside against the background of blurred (presumably) bluebells :D

And well done on sneaking up on that Wall with your 105mm lens, some real ninja stealth skills on display there :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.
Yes you're spot on Neil, the bluebells have not been frazzled by very hot sunshine this year so the display is lasting a good while this year.
You should see me in action, graceful I am not, Wall Browns have a way of making you feel like your feet are enourmous and very loud!

Thank you all very much for your kind comments.

A very Dingy day

Last Friday I set out on 'yet another' cloudy and breezy morning to see if anything was flying, sitting or crawling on my local patch. The weak sun occasionally made things slightly less dull giving me cause for optimism. I'm pleased to say that it turned out to be well worth the effort despite the gloomy weather.

On the way there and during the only (and very brief) appearance of the sun I saw a Green-veined White settle for a moment. After that the clouds won the battle.

As soon as I arrived I was greeted by some Wall Browns.

Soon after that I saw an unexpected flash of blue, on closer inspection it turned out to be my first Adonis Blue of the year. This is easily my earliest sighting of a spring brood Adonis at this site!

Despite my delight finding an early Adonis the stars of this dingy day were appropriately the Dingy Skippers. The first one I found (crawling up a grass stem) had clearly only just hatched, Dingy Skippers don't come any more perfect than this.

I then proceeded to find quite a few more in various poses, some even opening their wings when the weak sun attempted to pierce the cloud.

By now I was getting hungry and the cloud was thicker than ever so I felt home calling me but before I went I wanted to see if I could find any Grizzled Skippers. In the end I could only locate one of each - a male and female, it would seem that Grizzled Skippers are having a poor year here as I usually do a lot better than this.

Thanks for looking,

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That first Dingy really shows how poorly they are named. It takes some doing to make those shades pleasing to the eye but there's nothing dingy about that Dingy!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Agreed. Those are super Dingy Skipper pictures, of a mint perfect individual.
millerd

Post by millerd »

A very beautiful Dingy Skipper. They are splendid when new like that, and helpful not having them dashing madly around in the sunshine. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Butterflysaurus rex

bugboy wrote:That first Dingy really shows how poorly they are named. It takes some doing to make those shades pleasing to the eye but there's nothing dingy about that Dingy!
I have to agree with you Paul, unfortunately there’s quite a few unimaginatively and unfairly named bits of fauna in the world. Edible Crab springs to mind, well it’s a crab and you can eat it, I know let’s call it an edible crab! Brilliant. :roll:
essexbuzzard wrote:Agreed. Those are super Dingy Skipper pictures, of a mint perfect individual.
Thank you Mark, knowing that butterflies don’t look that perfect for very long it’s always marvellous when you come across one as fresh as this.
millerd wrote:A very beautiful Dingy Skipper. They are splendid when new like that, and helpful not having them dashing madly around in the sunshine. :)

Cheers

Dave
You’re right there Dave, hot sunshine and Dingy Skippers are hard work! And why is it that tatty butterflies often pose nicely while the fresh ones sit in the most horrible places they can find?

I really appreciate the comments guys, thank you.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning stuff Rex especially the centre page spread Dingy :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: gurt lush :D I know what you mean bout the way to get Wall shots Rex, I only have a 105 lens so that is my method too, although my language is a bit more rural :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful Dingies, James. You’ve really captured them well, and what a pleasant surprise in the form of an Adonis Blue! You must have been delighted to see that.

Return to “Personal Diaries”