Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by David M »

A veritable feast of colour there, Neil. Great to see a few Small Tortoiseshell images (I've still only seen three this year which is unusual round my way).

Your earliest sightings for Speckled Woods are interesting too. Glad to know that they've now arrived in your garden....if only they would do so in the Swansea area! :(
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, I have noticed before how different lighting conditions can really change the appearance of butterflies in digital photos, as can camera settings and even the screen it is being viewed on.

Thanks David, Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells both appear to be doing well around my patch this spring with more coming out of hibernation than I have seen for the past few years.

Saturday 30th March part 2 - Afternoon.

By the early afternoon some more cloud was building up but it was mostly high level light stuff and in the sun it was feeling pleasantly warm so I decided to pop round to my local site at Castle Hills near Solihull. I chose this site as it is usually a reliable one for Orange-tips and with my first one seen on Friday and sightings being reported from all over I was hoping to catch up with a few more of this most iconic spring species.

The track that leads into this site has a hard stony surface to begin with which merges into more of a dirt track and on arrival I spotted a Peacock basking just a few yards along.
Peacock - Castle Hills 30.03.2019
This Peacock would occasionally take off and fly down the track for about a hundred yards or so, in the process putting up a Small Tortoiseshell and a Comma from their own basking spots a little further along. I stopped and watched for a while as all three of these would take it in turns to fly up and down the track and disturb the others for a brief dogfight before returning to their own spots.
Comma - Castle Hills 30.03.2019
Comma - Castle Hills 30.03.2019
Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills 30.03.2019
I then carried on and hadn't gone far when I spotted a Brimstone that flew past me without stopping and then a male Orange-tip that settled down in the grass a short distance in front of me.
Orange-tip - Castle Hills 30.03.2019
The OT soon took off again but with some thin high level cloud covering the sun he didn't go far before settling again and he repeated this a couple of times before the cloud passed over and the sun warmed him up enough to carry on his patrolling.
Wandering around the various paths here during the next couple of hours I eventually saw four Orange-tips, all males.
One in particular went down as I was watching him when a cloud covered the sun and I waited for the cloud to pass hoping to catch that short period when he would open his wings, but just to prove that there are exceptions to every rule, as soon as the sun came out he was off like shot without that brief period of warming up. At least he had given me the opportunity to take a couple of nice underside shots.
As well as the Orange-tips another Brimstone was seen plus plenty of ex hibernating vanessids. Of these, Peacocks were the most numerous with approx 15 seen all around the site. Small Tortoiseshells were not far behind at about a dozen with Commas trailing behind with three seen.

With Sunday being Mothers Day and our youngest son up visiting from Bristol with his girlfriend, I didn't get the chance to pop out again over he weekend. The week ahead looks like being a return to colder weather so I guess the butterflies will be tucking themselves away again for a bit.

Bye for now,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Beautiful Spring selection, Neil.
Especially the Orange Tip, which has failed to appear locally yet.
Still, anytime now.

Trevor.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great stuff Neil, Iove the Small torts and OT's especially. :D

Cheers
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking report Neil :D :mrgreen: - good job you made the most of the weather; I don't know what it's like up with you but down here we've had sleet and hail today :shock: I blame the Mail as they reported "3 months of heat" a week or so ago :roll: Lovely set of OTs - I've manged a fluke shot but yours are gorgeous :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

What a feast of colour, Neil. You did splendidly with the Orange Tips, although my favourite image is the one with the Peacock showing its full, hindwing eye-spots.

Encouraging to read about decent numbers too on your patch.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Trevor, I am surprised to have seen Orange-tips before you and I guess that given the weather this week you are still waiting.

Thanks Andrew, glad you like them, it was great to see them.

Thanks Wurzel. It's been a fairly grotty week here, cold and wet mostly with some frosty mornings and Wednesday brought us hail and even some snow. In fact on my way home on Wednesday afternoon we had quite a flurry of snow and the temperature display on my car was reading just 2 degrees :shock:

Thanks David, yes I was seeing good numbers last weekend, particularly for around here before April. Nothing since though with the weather we have had this week.

Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Neil, your way a head of us for the Orange Tips, I keep looking on Lanc's Butterflies but no one seems to have seen them yet although a Green Hair Streak has been spotted at Warton Craig. Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie, I see a few Green Hairstreaks were reported last week from all over, as many from up north as further south which seems to be the norm most years for this species.
No more Orange-tips yet, it's been far too cool for them here this past week.

Saturday 6th April.

A thick grey blanket of cloud kept things feeling rather cold here on Saturday morning but by mid afternoon it had broken up and with some decent spells of sunshine had warmed up a bit to something like 13 degrees.
I reckoned it was just about warm enough to see if anything was flying down the road by my local park and so had a walk down for a look.

To be honest there was another reason that I was keen to go and have a look and that was to try out a camera that my daughter Sarah had passed on to me. I have mentioned in my diary before that Sarah is into photography although her tastes are more for 'arty' type stuff but she will take various wildlife photos when the opportunity presents itself.
Anyway, she had been using a Nikon D3400, an entry level DSLR, but has recently become the proud owner of a new mirrorless system camera and asked me if I was interested in having the D3400 off her. I am perfectly happy with my Panasonic FZ200 but thought I would give the D3400 a try to see how I got on with it.
There are two lens with the D3400, an 18-55 that originally came with it and a 70-300. After a bit of practising in the garden I reckoned that the 70-300 felt most similar to what I was used to with my FZ200 and so wandered off down the park with this set up to see how it felt.

Butterfly wise I think that the alternating cloud and sunny spells that had developed were borderline for activity and although I saw something like a dozen Small Tortoiseshells the only other butterfly I saw was a single Small White. The latter flew slowly past me and I was at first convinced that it was a Green-veined White but after it settled amongst some blackthorn blossom I got a close look to confirm it's identity.
Small White - Wagon Lane 06.04.2019
Small White - Wagon Lane 06.04.2019
I mentioned above that I saw about a dozen Small Tortoiseshells and these were scattered about all over the site and spending most of their time alternating between contesting favoured basking spots when the sun was out and then settling and using those spots when the cloud covered the sun.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 06.04.2019
Curiously, I didn't see a single Peacock despite there being plenty about here last week. Perhaps just a bit too cool for them.

So then, what did I think of the D3400? First impressions were favourable given that it was the first time I have used a DSLR. The combined camera and 70-300 lens is a bit larger and heavier than my FZ200 but not that much. I need to spend some more time playing around with the settings but for a first go with it I was happy with the photos I took.

I also took a couple of bird photos whilst I was out and for these I found the D3400 but be quite a bit better with faster focusing that my FZ200.
Long-tailed Tit - Wagon Lane 06.04.2019
Long-tailed Tit - Wagon Lane 06.04.2019
Robin - Wagon Lane 06.04.2019
Robin - Wagon Lane 06.04.2019
I plan on taking both the D3400 and FZ200 out with me this season to carry on comparing them and will use whichever seems the best depending on circumstances.

Sunday 7th April.

Dull cloud all day so I didn't go anywhere. I did notice the Bullfinches coming to the feeders whilst I was in the back room and took the opportunity to take a few shots with the D3400 through the window.
Male Bullfinch - Coverdale 07.04.2019
Male Bullfinch - Coverdale 07.04.2019
Under these circumstances the D3400 with 70-300 lens definitely wins out.

Bye for now,

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It definitely brings out the rosy underparts of that Bullfinch :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Neil as always (more down to the photographer I think :D) :mrgreen: Sound like you had the contrasting weather to me on Saturday, we had sunny intervals in the am followed by relentless cloud - guess when I managed to get out :roll: Oh well this is spring of sorts I suppose, I just wish the weather was a little less faltering...

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Well done with the Small White, Neil. There haven't been too many images of those on here so far this year.

Looks like our Welsh Tortoiseshells have moved north. I've still only seen five so you haul last weekend is enviable.

Nice shot of the Bullfinch BTW.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated :D

Friday 12th April

Nothing much to report this week, although Wednesday and Thursday looked pleasant enough though the windows at work, if you actually went out there was a cold wind which kept the temperatures well down. Clear skies overnight have also led to some frosty mornings with -3 on my car display yesterday (Thursday) morning.

The moth trap has only been out once this week, on Monday night when some cloud cover kept the temperature up a bit, but a cold breeze kept numbers down to just 8 moths of 4 species - Hebrew Character (5), Common Quaker (1), Small Quaker (1) and Light Brown Apple Moth (1).
One of the Hebrew Characters was a particularly pale individual with reduced markings which threw me for a moment before I realised what it was.
Hebrew Character variant - Coverdale 08.04.2019
Hebrew Character variant - Coverdale 08.04.2019
This afternoon was dull and cloudy again and just as I was thinking of having a bit of practice with the Nikon D3400 I noticed a pair of Greenfinches on the garden feeders, quite possibly the same pair I saw a few weeks back but this is the first time I have seen them since. Like I said before these have become a scarce bird round here over recent years so I was pleased to see them.

The photo below was taken though the window from my usual back room comfy spot.
Greenfinch pair - Coverdale 12.04.2019
Greenfinch pair - Coverdale 12.04.2019
I also took a few shots of the Bullfinches which are regular visitors here. The shot of the female below was taken from the back door from the garage into the garden. I have tried using this spot before to take photos of the birds but they usually spot me and fly off, I was luckier this time.
Bullfinch female - Coverdale 12.04.2019
Bullfinch female - Coverdale 12.04.2019
It seems we have a dry but cold weekend ahead but indications are that it will be warming up a bit through next week...I hope so.

Bye for now,

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I always get a pang of jealousy (and sadness) when I see your Bullfinches. I used to see them all the time but rarely get more than the occasional fleeting glimpse these days :?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots Neil :D Like you say the weather has been a bit frustrating - a bit like the 3 bears porridge - either too windy, too dull or too cold but never just right :? Fingers crossed for next week :? We'll be alright so long as the Mail doesn't do a feature proclaiming how it's going an 'Egg-cellent Easter - so get the Barbie out!' :roll: :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote:...One of the Hebrew Characters was a particularly pale individual with reduced markings which threw me for a moment before I realised what it was.
Threw me too, Neil. That's a really unusual specimen.

Nice to see the greenfinches again. We don't get too many of these round my way but there are, thankfully, plenty of bullfinches.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Bugboy, it is strange to think that these days I see Bullfinches in my garden more often than Sparrows. How times change.

Cheers Wurzel, looks like crossing the fingers worked :D

Thanks David, the Greenfinches seem to have set up home here, they have been around all week.

Friday 19th April.

After a cloudy and rather cold weekend, last week improved day by day until Good Friday arrived today with wall to wall sunshine and temperatures hitting the mid twenties here. I had already decided that, after a hectic week at work, I was going to have a lazy day and just potter around the garden rather than braving the bank holiday traffic.
After a clear night there was a heavy dew on the lawn first thing this morning but it soon warmed up and by mid morning the Speckled Woods were up to their usual antics. Many times I watched a couple of males chasing each other in circles and occasionally there would be three individuals going around each other. During the day I managed to identify five different males by photographing them and comparing markings and damage to their wings.
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 19.04.2019
Two of them had chunks missing from their hindwings proving the value of those eyespots in diverting attacks away from their heads and bodies.
Later in the morning it had warmed up enough so that the Specklies were settling with their wings closed and this behaviour was maintained for the rest of the day until they disappeared to roost just after 5.00pm
Orange-tips passed through regularly without stopping, no idea how many in total but I would see a male every 15-20 minutes but these could easily have been the same one or two individuals doing circuits, something that I know that these do as I have photographed the same individuals coming around time after time in previous years.
I also saw my first female which was a little less active and settled briefly on a bluebell.
Orange-tip female -  Coverdale 19.04.2019
Orange-tip female - Coverdale 19.04.2019
She was disturbed by a male who chased her about a bit before she settled and did the rejection pose and I just about managed to grab the camera (which was at the other end of the garden) and get a quick shot before they were off again into next door. This was the closest I got to photographing a male today with them being very active in the warm sun.
Orange-tips -  Coverdale 19.04.2019
Orange-tips - Coverdale 19.04.2019
Other butterflies seen in the garden today were Small White and my first Green-veined White this year, neither of which were stopping in the afternoon heat. Also a male Brimstone which unusually for this species passed through later in the afternoon, way past the normal early afternoon retiring time.
A little more obliging was my first Holly Blue of the year, a male which stopped briefly before carrying on his way.
Holly Blue male - Coverdale 19.04.2019
Holly Blue male - Coverdale 19.04.2019
With the warming weather I put the moth trap out last night (Thursday) but after a cloudy start the skies cleared with the resulting drop in temperature plus a big bright moon didn't help. Although numbers were low with a total of 10 moths of 7 species, they did include a Lunar Marbled Brown which is a new one for the garden. Also a Pale Pinion which was only the second one of these I have had, the first being earlier this year. The supporting cast were Common Quaker(3), Early Grey(1) and Shuttle-shaped Dart(1) plus a couple of micros, Twenty-plume Moth(2) and Light Brown Apple Moth(1).
Lunar Marbled Brown -  Coverdale 18.04.2019
Lunar Marbled Brown - Coverdale 18.04.2019
Pale Pinion -  Coverdale 18.04.2019
Pale Pinion - Coverdale 18.04.2019
Early Grey -  Coverdale 19.04.2019
Early Grey - Coverdale 19.04.2019
The weekend ahead looks to be a cracker weatherwise and I have next week off work so fingers crossed it holds for a bit.

Bye for now,

Neil.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Neil

I've just been going back through your past few weeks posts. I have to say although the pics you are taking with your new camera are wonderful they are just as good as the ones you have taken with the old one in my opinion. But to have a faster focus is a great thing when the subject is a butterfly!

The pic of the Speckled Wood against the dark uncluttered background is a winner in my opinion.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It turned out nice after all - luckily the Mail didn't make a comment on the weather :) Lovely sequence of shots Neil :D Hve :D you been taking tips in Holly Blue whispering from millerd, I can never find them posing like that :mrgreen: :D Love the female OT - the way she's holding her antennae makes it look a little like she's been speared by a cotton bud :shock: :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Ernie :D The faster shutter speed was certainly helpful yesterday (Saturday) afternoon with everything hyperactive in the warm sun.

Cheers Wurzel, I was lucky with that Holly Blue, still the only one I have seen so far. I love your imagination in seeing some strange things in photos :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”