NE Greece with Greenwings "False Apollo"

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
NickHull

NE Greece with Greenwings "False Apollo"

Post by NickHull »

Just back from a Greenwings "False Apollo" tour. Great tour, guides (Martin Warren was one) and company, but 4 days out of six were either dull, cool and overcast or just raining!

Provided an interesting insight into the country and the agriculture that effects butterfly habitat, in a poor area of Greece. Not least the roaming herds of cows, sheep and goats, guarded by packs of mean and protective herd dogs. (Note to potential visitors: avoid at all costs!). Much of the lowland was intensively farmed or covered with olive plantations, and small groves; most accessible mountain areas were grazed to some degree - the closer to the villages, the more heavily grazed habitats were :( .

Much of the rest is high mountains (snow on top!) with steep-sided slopes, covered by ancient woodland and criss-crossed with streams, gorges and meadows. This means these areas are the best undisturbed habitats around; and where large numbers of diverse butterflies are found. In a few of these places (which are "secret") the False Apollo (Archon apollinus) breeds in good numbers. We had 1 good day and saw several False Apollo, not all in very good condition and quite difficult to photograph as they bask on the ground, down in the grass, out of any breeze - or at least that is my excuse :lol:
False_Apollo_1_Greece.jpg
More to follow....
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home"
David M

Re: NE Greece with Greenwings "False Apollo"

Post by David M »

Shame about the weather, Nick, but this is the only place in Europe to see this iconic species and at least you managed to do just that.

I'll look forward to seeing your continued instalments.
NickHull

Post by NickHull »

The False Apollo only looks like the Collins illustration when it is freshly emerged; when we saw the individuals after a few days of rain, most had lost a lot of wing-scales and their forewings were translucent (and often very battered) to some degree.....
False_Apollo_2_Greece.jpg
Fortunately, there were plenty of festoons to keep us interested:
Eastern (Zerynthia cerisy)
Eastern_Festoon_1_Greece.jpg
and Southern ( Z. Polyxena)
Southern_Festoon_4_Greece.jpg
Southern_Festoon_uns_1_Greece.jpg
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Nice shots Nick. Sorry about the weather.
Thanks for sharing.
Chris
NickHull

Post by NickHull »

We made the most out of what we got; it was helped by good company, good food and wine, beer and water, pictures and talk of butterflies, seen and to be seen, and cursing the poor weather along the way: the guilty 10 (plus me behind the mobile phone) of the 14 that started dinner.....
A happy bunch at the end of the day.....
… there was the odd glass or bottle, or two....
… there was the odd glass or bottle, or two....
...thinking of butterflies.....
Green-underside Blue (Glaucopsyche alexis)
Green-underside Blue (Glaucopsyche alexis)
Eastern Baton Blue (Pseudophilotes vicrama)
Eastern Baton Blue (Pseudophilotes vicrama)
Chequered Blue (Scolitantides orion)
Chequered Blue (Scolitantides orion)
David M

Post by David M »

I absolutely love that final image of polyxena, Nick. I've never seen an image with the undersides so fully on display before. It is indeed a very beautiful insect.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Shame about the weather, I’m guessing GR isn’t really geared up for rain. But patience paid off, you’ve got images of several spring species there, many of us on UKB can only dream of.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi, Nick,

I didn't see your piece until after I had posted mine. You have probably also read Mel's article for the 'Comma'. Three different takes, but all agreed that the weather was crap :( and the company excellent :D . Tough you missing female apollinus, I didn't manage a male. Another time...

Tony M.
NickHull

Post by NickHull »

Tony Moore wrote:Hi, Nick,

I didn't see your piece until after I had posted mine. You have probably also read Mel's article for the 'Comma'. Three different takes, but all agreed that the weather was crap :( and the company excellent :D . Tough you missing female apollinus, I didn't manage a male. Another time...

Tony M.
Yes, Tony. Good to hear from you; hoped your photos were OK?
Another time, indeed. It whet your appetite for what it would be like, if only the sun came out!
Have fun
One of the 2 Fritillaries we saw...

Weaver's (or Violet) Fritillary (Clossiana dia)
Weaver's_3a_Greece.jpg
Weaver's_uns_1_Greece.jpg
Weaver's_uns_2a_Greece.jpg
NickHull

Post by NickHull »

David M wrote:I absolutely love that final image of polyxena, Nick. I've never seen an image with the undersides so fully on display before. It is indeed a very beautiful insect.
We were lucky(?), that it had been wet and cool and they were out at the first sign of sun. The wild muscari were a favourite nectar source for a lot of these early butterflies. I was " down-in-the-dirt" to get to their level :lol:

This one was found, roosting, deep down in the grass on the first,cool and damp, day and wrangled on to this spurge:
Southern_Festoon_1_Greece.jpg
Southern_Festoon_2_Greece.jpg
NickHull

Post by NickHull »

Here are the guilty....
I'm not really trying to hide.....
Thanks to:<br />Emma Whitfield
Thanks to:
Emma Whitfield
David M

Post by David M »

I recognise seven of the group, Nick. Good company for sure, especially with the venerable Martin Warren as host.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

David M wrote: ...the venerable Martin Warren as host.

Venerable?? I'm not sure how well he would take that description. He's a mere stripling alongside the true geriatrics of the company :D .

The Ancient Butterflier.
David M

Post by David M »

Tony Moore wrote:
David M wrote: ...the venerable Martin Warren as host.

Venerable?? I'm not sure how well he would take that description. He's a mere stripling alongside the true geriatrics of the company :D .

The Ancient Butterflier.
LOL! :) I had a guy with me on last summer's Spain trip who will be 90 this year!! I reckon he must take the award!
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Give in... :mrgreen:

T. M.
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

And I believe you also have Bernard Watts there in the group, perhaps the most knowledgeable person on European butterflies, and the author of a comprehensive master work on European species, including all subspecies and variants.

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

Roger Gibbons wrote:And I believe you also have Bernard Watts there in the group, perhaps the most knowledgeable person on European butterflies, and the author of a comprehensive master work on European species, including all subspecies and variants.
Indeed. Were Bernard 20 years younger he'd be the best guide in Europe!
NickHull

Post by NickHull »

Roger Gibbons wrote:And I believe you also have Bernard Watts there in the group, perhaps the most knowledgeable person on European butterflies, and the author of a comprehensive master work on European species, including all subspecies and variants.
Roger
Yes, Bernard was good value; he wanted some good shots of European False Apollo for his tome. Ah, well, next year!
Bernard in action.....
Aging_lethario_in_action_1_Greece_April_2019_low.jpg
The group made the holiday; with such poor weather we had to entertain ourselves, often at the expense of our guides :mrgreen:
Just ask Martin about PBF......
:D
David M

Post by David M »

NickHull wrote:..Just ask Martin about PBF......
You've got me wondering now, Nick. I shall ask MW in June when I have the pleasure of his company.

Return to “Overseas”