Large Tortoiseshell in Cornwall

Discussion forum for sightings.
John Chapple

Large Tortoiseshell in Cornwall

Post by John Chapple »

https://youtu.be/-XL16TTvX7o
I was very fortunate yesterday to find this Large Tortoiseshell in a garden at Restronguet Point near Truro, Cornwall. It amazingly stayed in the garden all morning. It's the first one I've ever seen in Britain!
bugboy

Re: Large Tortoiseshell in Cornwall

Post by bugboy »

Blimey, another one, they're all over the place this year!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

well done on this great find !

this one looks a bit knackered. if it has just flown over from Europe it would be very tired & needed a good rest.
David M

Post by David M »

Superb find, John! Sightings this year have been from Cornwall to Lincolnshire rather than concentrated in one or two areas. Encouraging signs that this species is being tempted 'home'.
millerd

Post by millerd »

It's great to see this species popping up in various spots around the country. It would be good if one materialised near me too! :)

However, as has been mentioned elsewhere I think, isn't it much more likely that these individuals came over during last year's exceptional summer and are now emerging from local hibernation? An insect coming out of hibernation somewhere in continental Europe is going to be concentrating on finding a mate and breeding rather than anything else, and there would be no reason to fly hundreds of miles to do so. With its fat reserves depleted by nine long months of hibernation, it is also unlikely that it would be physically able to do so. I know - never underestimate a butterfly!

Just a thought.

Dave
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I'd stick my neck out and say this looks like a female - and not a virgin. We must hope her battered condition is a result of creeping around among leaves laying her eggs.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

I agree with Guy ... female. Interestingly (but I think largely unnoticed), one of the numerous Large Tortoiseshells seen at Portland Bill since late February was a female (in late March), which from her rear end appears to have been already mated. She was in much better condition than the males were by this time, perhaps having emerged from hibernation a little later.

The spread of sightings this year does suggest that the July 2018 influx must have been substantial, with entry points scattered along the full length of the south coast, and probably at points up the east coast.

BWs, Neil
David M

Post by David M »

All very interesting stuff. Surely, once mated, females will seek to lay on the nearest foodplant in optimal condition, so it matters not whether they've immigrated from the continent - any resulting early stages will be home grown. Finding evidence of this is key; I suppose when someone does we can at least say that the species is breeding in the UK again.
John Chapple

Post by John Chapple »

She is a female and I think she was ovipositing on Blackthorn but the bush was on the very edge of a 20ft cliff so I was unable to confirm. She crawled through the bush and I could see her curling her abdomen as if to lay but couldn't see whether she laid or not. It will be interesting to find out in a few weeks time!!!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

John Chapple wrote:She is a female and I think she was ovipositing on Blackthorn but the bush was on the very edge of a 20ft cliff so I was unable to confirm. She crawled through the bush and I could see her curling her abdomen as if to lay but couldn't see whether she laid or not. It will be interesting to find out in a few weeks time!!!
Oooh that is interesting, although Blackthorn isn't as far as I'm aware a typical choice of foodplant for the caterpillars. Having said that they have been found on a wide range of trees and I have found a record of them being found on Prunus avium so Blackthorn isn't beyond the realms of possibility if she couldn't find anything more suitable.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

bugboy wrote:
John Chapple wrote:She is a female and I think she was ovipositing on Blackthorn but the bush was on the very edge of a 20ft cliff so I was unable to confirm. She crawled through the bush and I could see her curling her abdomen as if to lay but couldn't see whether she laid or not. It will be interesting to find out in a few weeks time!!!
Oooh that is interesting, although Blackthorn isn't as far as I'm aware a typical choice of foodplant for the caterpillars. Having said that they have been found on a wide range of trees and I have found a record of them being found on Prunus avium so Blackthorn isn't beyond the realms of possibility if she couldn't find anything more suitable.
I've found the caterpillars on wild cherry, and Prunus in general is listed in Leraut among the many genera of foodplants this eclectic species takes. It would be very interesting to see if this female has been laying on Prunus spinosa. It would certainly explain the extensive wing damage - and I would be very surprised if she was prepared to sustain this level of damage merely for oviposturing (priming her abdomen and going through the motions of ovipositing without actually laying).

Large tortoiseshell caterpillars are gregarious and absolutely ravage their foodplant as they approach maturity. It should be easy to detect their presence in this particular bush even without risking life and limb!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Prunus spinosa is a foodplant used on mainland Europe, and probably P. mahaleb too, i have bred some through in the past.
David M

Post by David M »

Padfield wrote:..Large tortoiseshell caterpillars are gregarious and absolutely ravage their foodplant as they approach maturity. It should be easy to detect their presence in this particular bush even without risking life and limb!
Indeed. Far easier than looking for them several metres up an elm tree. Could this be the year that the larval stage will be discovered?
John Chapple

Post by John Chapple »

Actually Guy there are several small wych Elms nearby in the garden and in the neighbouring gardens but she didn't seem to fly near them, but I wasn't watching all the time as I was working in another part of the garden and just kapt an eye now and then to make sure she was still around.
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

A brilliant sighting/discovery John! I have seen all the resident & common migrants in Britain including L.T.Blue & Monarch but NOT the Large Tortoiseshell so would be delighted to get the chance to see this one or another specimen on British soil if at all possible. All the best.....Lee Slaughter. :D :D
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Lee ,
As a matter of interest Lee, at least one other Large Tort ; has been seen in Cornwall recently ,and reported on March 26th on Malcolm Pinch (s)
twitter page (3 pictures ). And I,m sure many have also been missed ! Regards Allan.W.
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Hi Allan,
Yes I did see that but the locality was not revealed. I would be thrilled to see it maybe later this week as weather is supposed to improve. Still would take some beating driving from Cornwall to Kent & back over the weekend with my family & seeing the Long-tailed blue entirely thanks to you otherwise we certainly would have drawn a blank! Forever grateful mate!

Cheers,

Lee & family.
:D :D

Return to “Sightings”