Graylings & Walls Norfolk Coast

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Graylings & Walls Norfolk Coast

Post by Jack Harrison »

I am aware that Graylings are on the wing on the southern heaths, but have they yet appeared on the Norfolk coastal dunes? (where they are a little later I think).

I have in recent years gone to places like Holme-next-the-Sea (just east of Hunstanton), or Horsey but that has been in mid-August. This week's weather looks good but would I be too early, particularly for the Walls?

Can't make it the following week as I am weather forecaster at a gliding competition; that would probably be better timing for the "smaller flyers".

Jack
sandraandkevin

Re: Graylings & Walls Norfolk Coast

Post by sandraandkevin »

Hi Jack,

Hope you are keeping well.

Sandra and I saw a Grayling at Holme-next-the-sea in the second week of July to the right of the boardwalk area halfway between golf course and nature centre.

Didn't see any walls though but in previous years we saw them mid August.

Kevin and Sandra
MikeToms

Post by MikeToms »

Based on previous years I would expect to see Wall Brown this week. I tend to have the most success on the north Norfolk coast or the northeast coast as inland populations seem to have taken something of a hammering. I'd try Holkham Dunes for the Graylings and/or Winterton Dunes (where you should also connect with Dark Green Frit).
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Thanks to all. It will be Holme for me on Tuesday (yes, I know Winterton can be good) as I am also hoping for at least one of the missing species from my year list, Brown Argus. Last summer, Brown Argus were in splendid numbers at Holme although that was a couple of weeks later, but amazingly haven't seen any this year anywhere. Holme might also give an opportunity to connect with another surprising omission from this year's list, Painted Lady (last year I saw one or two at Holme).

I'll report back after my trip.

Jack
TedP

Post by TedP »

Graylings have been on the wing here in Winterton for about 2 weeks now as have Dark Green Fritillaries. I had both in my garden at the weekend (26th) and my first Painted Lady on 27th. Still waiting for Hummingbird Hawk moths.

TedP

Return to “Sightings”