David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Mark/Neil. Yes, I'm sure the Painted Lady was a migrant. It couldn't have survived the snow and ice we had at the turn of the month.

Thursday 21st February 2019 - Beautiful February afternoon....

This afternoon was one of the loveliest I've ever experienced in February in this country. The cloud cleared around midday and the wind dropped to no more than an apologetic, light breeze, so I headed off to Cwm Ivy at the NW tip of the Gower peninsula:
1CwmIvy(1).jpg
I spent an hour and a half there, seeing two Red Admirals in the woodland glade, but more pleasingly, I spotted my first Peacock of the year in the damp field adjacent to the woodland.

At first, I had to use my zoom as there was a barbed wire fence stopping me from entering:
2Peacock(1).jpg
The butterfly was so avidly nectaring from this solitary dandelion though, that I carefully squeezed myself between the hooked wire and the mesh fence below it (no easy task at 92kg) in order to approach it more closely:
1Peacock1(1).jpg
I was actually surprised there weren't more butterflies about, as temperatures were around 15c. With no end in sight to this abnormally mild spell, I'm sure there will be more opportunities in the next few days.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Lovely to see a Peacock, David. Not seen one yet, though I’m sure the first ones are about. Slightly surprised by the Red Admiral sightings, both from myself and others. I wonder if any are early migrants?
millerd

Post by millerd »

Just spotted your Painted Lady sighting, David. Brilliant to see, and it fits well with the Hummingbird Hawk Moth I saw today. Yours turned left at the Severn Bridge and mine turned right is all... :)

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, Dave. You could well be right regarding the two - they almost certainly came over from the continent!

Unforgettable….

These last few days have been quite phenomenal. Never in my lifetime have I known such mild and pleasant conditions in the month of February, and I won’t be surprised if I never experience them again.

Friday 22nd February

After a glorious Thursday, Friday was equally stunning, and I had an extended lunch break at work, affording me an hour and a quarter to indulge myself once again.

I was quite disappointed not to find any Small Tortoiseshells on the banks of the stream where I regularly see them at the start of the season, but I was delighted to encounter my first two Commas of 2019 holding territory in this area:
1SV1(1).jpg
Here’s a view in the opposite direction:
1SV2(1).jpg
…and the butterfly itself:
1Comma1(1).jpg
Two male Brimstones were flying about, and I also saw two Peacocks, with this one attracted by a discarded duvet near to the railway line:
1Peacock(1).jpg
Sunday 24th February

In a normal year, Small Tortoiseshells are generally the first of the adult hibernators I see. This year, however, I had racked up 5 other species without a sniff. So, I was determined to find them and finally did so in the most reliable spot I know for them, near my workplace, with two individuals nectaring on the celandines & dandelions by the stream that cuts through Swansea Vale:
1ST1(1).jpg
I also saw three Commas, including this one in classic pose ready to repel intruders:
1Comma2(1).jpg
The most notable thing though was the numbers of Brimstones – I saw 16 in total, including my first female of 2019 who was fluttering unmolested around the gardens of the housing estate when I was walking back to my car! Perhaps the hyperactive males need to think outside the box!
Yet again, the males were flying incessantly, although this one ‘gatecrashed’ this image of the hotspot where butterflies are most likely to be found on this walk:
1SV3(1).jpg
It’s quite incredible to think that by 24 February, I have seen SIX species of butterfly. I doubt very much whether that will happen again in my lifetime. It would be difficult enough to achieve on the south coast of England, let alone Wales! Ironically, after the lift I got when finally seeing Small Tortoiseshells, my thoughts turned to what I would do with myself over the next few weeks, as it will be mid March most likely by the time any other species is on the wing round here.

Definitely a February never to forget!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Don't give up looking yet, David, there have been several reports of Speckled Wood sightings.
Whatever next!. We've had bizarre years before, but never this early in the season.
Glad to see that Wales is performing too.

All the best,
Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

6 Species before March is quite remarkable. I've stalled at 4 but even that has to be noteworthy!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, guys, 6 is special but there must be someone who has 7 (or even 8.) We have but one more day to enjoy these conditions before normal UK service is resumed. :(
Last edited by David M on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, here am I thinking I'm lucky to get two species :lol: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 24th March 2019 – Back to business….

After almost a month of inclement weather, today finally offered the opportunity to get out and about again.

It was only about 12c, but the sun was shining for the first time in a long while here in south Wales, and I duly headed off in the early afternoon for Cwm Ivy, which is on the northwest Gower coast.

I had hoped to find Speckled Woods today, and maybe a Holly Blue or two, but there was no sign of either, even though the blackthorn blossom, which usually heralds their appearance, was getting well into flower.

There WAS a big surprise though, in the shape of this Hummingbird Hawk Moth, not something I often see round this way even in late summer, let alone late March:
1HBHM(1).jpg
On the butterfly front Brimstones easily led the way, with well into double figures seen. Two or three were even choosing to settle, giving me a handful of opportunities to grab an image:
1Brim(1).jpg
The cleared area in this woodland is a hotspot for butterflies at this time of year:
1CwmIvy(1).jpg
I saw five Red Admirals, including two courtship displays happening above me simultaneously. This specimen, however, was found basking on the young nettles:
1RA(1).jpg
Not all of the blackthorn is in flower yet, but the patch that was had plenty of insect attention, including these two:
1PeacockandComma1(1).jpg
1PeacockandComma2(1).jpg
The Comma soon flew elsewhere leaving the Peacock to itself:
1Peacock(1).jpg
With conditions forecast calm and sunny this coming week, I fully expect Whites, Holly Blues, Speckled Woods and maybe even Orange Tips to be around next weekend…..assuming the cloud and the storms don’t make a return.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I saw my first Small White today, and the Orange Tips are not usually far behind. High pressure expected next week. I guess it depends whether it’s a sunny High, or a gloomy High...
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, you seem to be getting loads of Butterflies your way, send me one of those Brimstones will you :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

At the moment, Goldie, we've plenty of Brimstones to spare - I've never seen so many round here!

Thursday 28th March 2019 – Puzzling chronology…..

I visited Cwm Ivy and Whiteford Burrows on the north Gower coast late this morning, where I felt sure I would see my first Speckled Woods and Holly Blues of the year.

The blackthorn blossom is now approaching its peak but there wasn’t a sniff of either species in the woodland glade, so I thought I’d do a circuit of the dunes before returning half an hour later.

There is a sheltered bank just at the edge of the dune system, and I was busy watching four Peacocks whizzing around taking nectar when I spotted what I thought at first was a Small White.
1WB(1).jpg
Its delicate fluttering and rounded wing tips soon betrayed it though – a female Orange Tip!

She was flighty and I could only get a couple of poor record shots, but whilst in pursuit, I then noticed a male:
1OTmale(1).jpg
This is the earliest I’ve ever seen this species and it was a puzzle to think I’d done so prior to any of the three Whites, Holly Blues and Specklies.
To further confuse me, I saw another two females prior to leaving, and managed to vault a barbed wire fence to get this image:
1OTfem(1).jpg
Brimstones and Peacocks were numerous today, with 20+ seen of each. There were also two Commas and two Red Admirals, one of which was irresistible on this tree trunk:
1RA(1).jpg
I then tried Kilvey Hill, as Speckled Woods are usually quite early here on the lower tracks. Again though, there were none, but I did see my first Small White of 2019, although it remained airborne and I couldn't get an image.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Orange Tips David, looks like things are going to be early this year and I can be on the look out for the OT :D as for the Speckies not seen them yet. Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Saturday 30th March 2019 - Still no Speckled Woods...

Another attempt to hunt down Speckled Woods and Holly Blues at Cwm Ivy on the north Gower coast proved only half successful. Two male Holly Blues were sighted, including this one who generously flew down to settle at ground level:
1HBmale(1).jpg
However, Specklies remain mystifyingly absent, even though this wooded area is paradise for them. I had some consolation though in the form of my first Green Veined White of 2019:
1GVW(1).jpg
Brimstones and Peacocks were again the commonest species, with around a dozen of each, including a few grounded rhamni:
1Brimstone(1).jpg
About half a dozen Orange Tips were flying about, although I saw no females today:
1OT1(1).jpg
1OT2(1).jpg
Five Red Admirals and a Comma were present in the glade as well.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Very nice Holly Blue, David - and I speak as a connoiseur in these matters... :)

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Ooooh I love that last OT shot. At the rate things are going for me at the moment I might completely miss them this year :shock:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:Very nice Holly Blue, David - and I speak as a connoiseur in these matters..
Indeed you are, Dave, and I expect that you'll trump mine many times during the course of the next few weeks!
Bugboy wrote:At the rate things are going for me at the moment I might completely miss them this year
I'm sure your time will come, BB. OTs are usually good for a 4 week flight period....and they rarely get tatty!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

I'm with BB, very nice shot. :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Two mrgreens for you David. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: One each for your lovely male Holly Blue shot,
and locating those Orange Tips. I'm heading West next week, hope for similar luck.

Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, both. Orange Tips are much more approachable in cool weather whilst the Holly Blue was just good luck.

Trevor, I hope your trip ‘west’ yields dividends for you. Fingers crossed for the weather.

Return to “Personal Diaries”