Padfield

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Padfield

Post by Wurzel »

Looking forward to the processed images Guy - the 'real time' ones were mighty fine :D :mrgreen: I don't dare dream about the Pasha's as I think I'm in the wrong part of Portugal for them judging by Tolman...Those 8 days away for that price is a right bargin :shock: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Absolute bargain, I agree. As you know, I’ve been to the area a couple of times myself, and it’s a great way to get the season started. Love the yellow bee orchid, too-never seen those before...
David M

Post by David M »

So that’s it for Málaga 2019 (spring, at least). I had heavy rain on 4 out of 7 days and walked over 210Km in pursuit of butterflies, but was rewarded with 32 species, including one lifer. I’ll have a lot of work to do, processing all the pictures properly when I get back to the UK. I hope the few I’ve posted in real time have given a taste of what can be done on a budget. 8 nights in a hostel in central Málaga cost €216, and travel and food while I’ve been here have come to about €140. So the whole thing has cost just €360, plus the Easyjet fares and rail fare in the UK. Oh - plus two pints of beer and a plate of chips in the Angry Friar in Gibraltar, and a fiver for access to the Upper Rock.
That’s some return given the adverse weather, Guy. One can only wonder what you would have encountered had every day been warm and sunny!
You (and Bugboy) have certainly put a trip to this part of Europe at this time of year into my head.

PS – that’s a mint fresh Painted Lady. Gorgeous.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thank you - as always - for your comments, Wurzel, Buzzard and David. I don't know exactly where you're going in Portugal, Wurzel, but two-tailed pashas are found pretty well everywhere, though concentrated near the coast. I've seen them near Lisbon and also on the south coast, near Albufeira.

Here are a few, final, unseen (or improved) bits from my Málaga 2019 trip:

(fresh, ripe oranges on a rainy 31st March)

(quite delicious!)

(beautifully ripe wild olives on 2nd April - I tried one - melt-in-the-mouth delicious but very, very bitter)

(thekla lark on 3rd April)

(the same bird)

(black-eared wheatear on 3rd April)

(black-eared wheatear on 1st April)

(black redstart on 3rd April)

(serins on 1st April)

(cirl bunting on 3rd April)

(Acinipe hesperica - the western stone grasshopper - on 4th April - a very strange, large and almost wingless species)

(slightly improved shot of bee-eater on 2nd April)

(looking down on Catalan Bay from the top of the Rock on 4th April)

(the Flying Angel Club on the now inaccessible North Mole, Gibraltar. When I lived there it was almost the only building on the mole. I could have a morning swim right where that great, grey monstrosity is now. I believe it is still the Flying Angel Club, though. I was invited back inside it in 2007)

Since my return, the only new species for the year has been orange tip, which is now out in force.

(orange tip in my garden)

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
trevor

Post by trevor »

Magnificent Orange Tip image. a species that has, so far, given me the slip this season.

Must do better,
Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Oh those Oranges fresh of the tree really are on another level from anything you can buy in the UK aren't they! Except for the ones in Seville, they can keep them for the marmalade :lol:. Next time I visit that part of the world (I'm definitely going again) I may have to pick your brain about some sites to get a few more illusive species, celtis is high on my hot list next time :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking bird shots Guy some of which i've not seen for an absolute age :D :mrgreen: - especially like the Thekla, I've not seen that species or Crested Lark but your shots compared to Buggy's have helped give me a clearer idea on how to separate the two.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Trevor. You'll catch up with your orange tips - and then you'll get much better pics than me!

The trick for celtis, Buggy, is to learn to recognise the tree. My sites for this species are all in Italy, at places I can reach on a day trip from where I (used to) live in Switzerland.

Hi Wurzel. As you know, I'm no expert on birds, but I feel confident about this thekla lark from the bill. Here is a close-up of the same bird:

The lower mandible curves upwards for the length of the bill. I believe this is decisive - but stand to be corrected.

Guy
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

No worries Guy I was and still am in total agreement with your ID :D . I've not seen Thekla nor Crested Lark and the close up of the bill along with Bugboys great photos of a Crested Lark have both provided me really useful ID references for when I visit Portugal and hopefully see one or both of these species for the first time :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful series of images, Guy, especially that intoxicating orange grove.

I'm determined to get to this part of Spain in the near future.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks for your comments, Wurzel and David.

Back in Suffolk, I've been cycling around the local countryside looking for green hairstreaks and finding none at all. I don't know if it's still too early for the main emergence - I've been searching where I used to see them and in many other places where they really should fly. Very strange. Why is this species so local here when on the continent it is such a common species, found wherever there is scrub, from the south of Spain to the tops of alps?

In fact, for all my cycling around (which is fun in itself), my garden has produced every species I've seen this year in the UK: peacock, small tortoiseshell, red admiral, comma, brimstone, small white, green-veined white, orange tip, holly blue, small copper and speckled wood. I might have stayed at home every day ... :D

The garlic mustard began flowering a few days ago and I found the first orange tip eggs today:

Holly blues have been showing an inordinate interest in our holly tree. This photo is from yesterday:

Today they were also nectaring and taking minerals. This one enjoyed the apple blossom ...

... and this one spent more time on the alpines:

Late this afternoon I took a reflex shot of a female comma on the felt roof of our garage:

Only on going through my photos did I notice she seems to have one brush foot and one fully developed front foot - unless a left leg is unnaturally extended:

I guess she must just be sitting funny.

Guy
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning Holly Blues Guy :D :mrgreen: I see what you mean about teh Comma leg - it looks to be a very awkward angle, almost as if it won't support any 'weight' was it damaged? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Those Holly Blue shots in particular are sublime, Guy. I'm surprised you haven't located Green Hairstreak, mind; there are supposedly plenty of sites in that general area for them. Time will tell.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks Wurzel and David.

My various duties mean I can't go further afield than a half-hour cycle from home and with the weather recently most of the butterflies I've been seeing have been in the garden.

Holly blues are particularly strong - though I haven't got any recent springs to compare them with. There are always one or two males hanging around the holly in the garden but I have yet to see a female. Here is a male yesterday:

Two orange tip caterpillars emerged just in time for the big cold and have done very little since. I was pleased to relocate one of them today - still tiny but evidently eating, at least:

Guy
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'd agree with you Guy; the Holly Blue does seem to be putting in a good showing this spring :D Good to see that it isn't only Millerd that can do the Holly Blue Whispering :wink: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice shot of the Holly Blue male, Guy. I too have had trouble tracking down females this year; in fact, I’ve only seen two whereas I reckon I’ve come across the better part of 100 males. They’re not usually this secretive!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks Wurzel and David. I'm still hoping there may be holly blue eggs laid on our holly, though it is quite a tall tree and in any case no females have yet shown the interest the males are taking in it.

I'm substituting garden orange tips for my traditional purple emperor cats. These are far harder to find, being much smaller and not nearly so faithful to their seats! Nevertheless, I was able to find both the caterpillars that hatched on 4th May today. Here they are:

Both have migrated to the tips of fruiting bodies. The second one above evaded my searching eyes until the evening. At some stage I might offer the plants some protection to ensure some caterpillars I am following make it through to pupation. There are still plenty of orange eggs around.

Guy
David M

Post by David M »

Glad to see you're still getting your early stages 'fix', Guy, even if the cats aren't quite so resplendent as the Emperors.

I see what you mean about how small they are. You did well to find them at all!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Are you going to name your caterpillars, Guy?
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks David. Yes, it's fun to keep tabs on these tiny chaps.

Good idea, Buzzard! :D As there's one cat per plant and they seem to stay on the same plants, I really should name them. So here is Clementine ...

... and here is Tangerine:

Both photographed today.

I hope I don't run out of names and have to resort to things like 'Tesco sweet easy peeler'! :D

Guy

Return to “Personal Diaries”