Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Pauline

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:If you've any suggestions on dealing with that cat I'd be delighted to hear them as I've never known cats to attack poultry in such a persistent and determined manner.
It's unusual for cats to attack poultry; certainly ours have never done it.

I have 3 suggestions:

1. A dog (the cat will think twice once it's been chased off a few times)

2. A Manx cat (notoriously good for defending their territory. We had one when I was a child and she certainly kept neighbouring cats off the premises).

3. Lion dung (I have read that this works, but unless you have a safari park/zoo nearby then getting hold of it will be tricky!)
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for your interest Wurzel, David. I had previously watched that Woodpecker eating fat sticks from the birdtable. It was only the upper mandible that was overgrown and he seemed to manage to scoop up some of the suet and mealworms using the lower mandible. I guess he had learnt to adapt as wildlife often do. As for the Small Heath I have no idea - the only thing I would re-iterate was the size which must have been half as big again as the others.

Hi Goldie - the weather's not great here either; very changeable so you have to seize the moment. Hang on in there and before you know it the butterflies will be coming to you.

Thank you David. I had considered getting a dog but I wouldn't leave it out in the garden if I wasn't around and I am not totally convinced that just the smell would be enough to deter this cat. I even thought of getting a goose but I reckon I have enough responsibilities and a Manx cat would probably upset Jaffa.

As for the lion dung - that just might be inspired. Perhaps I may try the internet but I expect it will be dried, or just maybe Buggy could get his hands on some of the fresh stuff??????? I'll pay for it Buggy and meet up wherever you like. Buggy, are you reading this???????
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I continued to monitor the Brown Hairstreaks at Noar Hill and on 10th September I saw a further 3 including this unfortunate creature that flew straight into a spider’s web. You might recall a similar occurrence in 2014 when I took shots of a BH in identical circumstances. I would like to point out that by the time I got to the butterfly its fate was already sealed and there was nothing I could do. She was a female in her final days and I can only hope that all her eggs had already been laid. Indeed, in my haste to get to her I stood in a large fresh cow pat which effectively ruined a brand new pair of trainers but in any event I was too late. The sight that met me was this:
P1140446ad.jpg
P1140447ad.jpg
P1140449ad.jpg
P1140450ad.jpg
P1140452ad.jpg
P1140455ad.jpg
P1140465ad.jpg
P1140477ad.jpg
P1140479ad.jpg
P1140480ad.jpg
P1140484ad.jpg
P1140488ad.jpg
P1140520ad.jpg
P1140529ad.jpg

As I recall it was a really windy day and everything was swinging around madly in the breeze. From start to finish it took about 6 mins but the main action was over in under 20 secs.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fascinating/gory sequence Pauline :shock: :) I echo your hope that she had met her biological imperative :? ut even so I can't help but be impressed by the meticulous way the meal is wrapped 8)
I was going to suggest the Lion Dung to sort out the problem cat - I was aware that in Wiltshire we could get it from Longleat - are you near Whipsnade or Marwell? Both have Lions or other big cats so you could try sending them an email to see if they offer a similar Feline by-product :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline
You will be pleased to know that this is the earliest the Duke has ever been recorded in Hampshire by a full week - the previous earliest was 8 April in 2017. I guess in the greater scheme of things it possibly sends a more ominous message about the climate in general - but that is another story.......
Hope to bump into you soon
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Your woodie might be unusual but there could be advantages in being able to probe deeper into cracks and crevices.

Evolution in action perhaps?

Jack
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Wurzel

she was quite some distance from us and at first I thought she had just landed as I couldn't see the web but when she didn't move I suspected the worst. Once I'd fought my way through the nettles I could see she was in really poor condition - quite worn and tatty - so fingers crossed for the eggs but I'm amazed at just how many are predated.

One way or another I shall get some of that dung and let you know how I get on.

Good to hear from you Jack. I hope you are well. I think there are some conditions with some domestic birds where the beak grows too long and I think I have heard it may be down to some nutritional need being absent ..... but I might just be making that up. You are probably right :)

You might be surprised Mark but I gained little pleasure from knowing that. I appreciate that with the crazy sequence of weather we have been having it is bound to have a strange/adverse effect. When I went to Noar Hill on 1st April (thinking that was when I had seen them last year) I was disappointed in the state of the vegetation. It just did not look ready for Dukes although there were a lot of other butterflies enjoying the sun, including this Comma that wouldn't leave me alone, repeatedly landing on my jeans. With very low expectations I decided to explore the site, looking in all the usual hotspots, not at all surprised to find no Dukes. It wasn't until I was leaving the site, in a small area not far from the gate, that I spotted a single male ......
P1150872d.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I spent a little time in the early autumn assessing how well the 3rd brood Small Copper were faring at Broxhead. Without slavishly counting them I concluded that there weren't nearly as many as last year but they were still lovely to see:
Small Copper.jpg
I was puzzled by the behaviour of one Small Copper and I wonder if anyone can explain to me what is happening here and what it means as I haven't even got the anatomical words to describe it. It happened over about 10 secs and these shots are heavily cropped:
P1140215ad.jpg
P1140216ad.jpg
P1140217ad.jpg
and then it was back to 'normal' again. I am wondering if it is something a male might do having just mated with a female? :oops: :oops:
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:I continued to monitor the Brown Hairstreaks...The sight that met me was this...
Awful to see a precious female Brown Hairstreak taken like that, Pauline, but given her worn condition I'm confident that her job for the future generation had been all but completed.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Some years ago Chalkhill Blues were having an exceptional season on Denbies Hillside. There were as many (mostly males) wrapped in spider silk as there were free flying individuals.

Jack
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of shots and Iinteresting behaviour Pauline :) Now this is just an idea (and I've not had much luck with these recently :wink: ) but could the protrudences be coremata or hair-pencils? I saw a male Crow butterfly (I think that was the one) at Bristol Zoo do something similar and goggled it when I got back. The hair-pencils expel pheromones which attract mates, the hairs waft the chemicals towards the female or catch the breeze. The more toxic the caterpillars food plant the bigger the hair-pencils so this could explain why they're so small in the case of the Small Copper? Just an idea probably wrong but there we go :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely Small Copper montage, Pauline.

As for the behaviour of the male you depict, see here:

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/208/18/3433
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Pauline wrote:The cat has now attacked Petal, one of the hens whilst she was in her nestbox. The result was a visit to the vet for an abscess on her foot and no eggs for a week as she wouldn't go back in the next box. I have spent £100 for pointed plastic to go on the top of the fence - no difference. The owner refuses to keep her cat in. It has been suggested I get a 'super soaker' which can fire water 40' but the cat disappears as soon as I open the door or window. The upshot is that if I want to go out I have to shut the hens in their sheds which I am loathe to do in good weather. When they are free range I have to 'guard' them. Bearing in mind I have a lovely little cat of my own, any suggestions which would enable me to get out to see butterflies would be appreciated.
I am sorry to hear about your cat issues Pauline. I think that is very unusual. There are a lot of cats in our neighbourhood and so far we haven't had an issue at all. Our run is completely covered over to try to keep the ground dry, but there are places where cats have managed to get in. Earlier in the year we returned home from a weekend away to find six hens and a cat waiting for us at the gat into the run! The cat ran off sharpish as soon as we opened the gate!

All I can suggest is another cockerel with attitude, although Popeye may suffer. Otherwise a live trap and a trip to the cat and dog home may be the best option.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I can certainly believe that Jack and from personal experience I can confirm that the immature stages are predated in even greater numbers, the extent of which has shocked me even though I had previously read as much.

Thank you Wurzel. How have I never come across this before? Before exposing my ignorance publicly in future I shall send you a PM first :)

Thank you for your sympathy and suggestions Nick. I went for a lovely meal yesterday with a friend and returned to find the cat had had a female blackbird in the garden. I managed to retrieve the bird and put it in an aviary overnight but sadly it did not survive. I do have a covered run where I can shut the hens but I prefer them to be free range and get a bit of grass and grubs so I shall work my way through the ideas everyone has provided and for which I am very grateful.

What a fascinating report David and some amazing research. It has raised quite a few issues in my mind but I shall do a bit more reading on the subject before I pose further questions. It seems quite surreal to be reading about butterfly seminal fluid and mating plugs over my morning coffee! :lol:
David M wrote:Awful to see a precious female Brown Hairstreak taken like that, Pauline, but given her worn condition I'm confident that her job for the future generation had been all but completed.
It is always distressing to see this David but it is nature I guess. Earlier in the day I had seen half a dozen Spotted Flycatchers (I think) catching all manner of insects including what I suspect was another BH amongst the many other insects in the 'Triangle'. Once the season draws to a close I suspect that the butterflies are less alert, and having done their duty I imagine they are easy picking for the many other creatures that see them as food. Anyway, as the Flycatchers are another first for me I’m including a few of the shots I took. Not sure what the last one is – juvenile?
P1140564ad.jpg
P1140569ad.jpg
P1140574ad.jpg
P1140584ad.jpg

Around this time (mid September) Small Heath were undoubtedly the most numerous of butterflies and entertained me in between the birds and Brown Hairstreaks. As I don't take many shots of this little butterfly I thought I'd throw in a few for good measure :)
P1140671ad.jpg
P1140683ad.jpg
P1140693ad.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Really good shots of the Butterflies Pauline but that shot with the Spider gives me the shivers :D Interesting Small Copper and the responces you've received back about it.

The only thing I think, that could sort your Cat problem is to get a dog :D My dog when alive hated cats, she'd only to see one and she went bonkers :D Brought up properly they won't bother your Hen's and you can take it with you when you go out. :D Goldie :D
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The only thing I think, that could sort your Cat problem is to get a dog.
We have two cats. Yes, I am sure they sometimes get birds. So far this year, just one Robin. But that might even have been a dead bird picked up after a Robin-Robin fight – our garden cannot support the number of Robins that want to live here. We feed our birds (expensively) and undoubtedly, bird populations are artificially high. So balancing our love of birds against the love of cats, I suspect that the birds are the winners.

At the moment we have tame Pheasants that eat out of our hands. The cats simply ignore them. So in a strange way, the Pheasant –Cat standoff means that smaller birds are less likely to be hassled by the cats.

Jack
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I too didn't have a clue about Hair-pencils until I saw these massive, bright yellow things flaying around out the backside of Crow Butterfly at Bristol Zoo :shock: Thank goodness for Google :wink: :D
Lovely Small Heaths Pauline :D , I too am guilty of not paying them enough attention :oops: Your last bird shot is a Wren, the Juvenile Spotted Flycatchers a the same colour/tone as the adults just more streaked and spotty :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

I'm pleased Small Heaths were numerous for somebody, Pauline! They seem to be getting scarcer every year round my way and I hope they're not about to do a 'Wall Brown' and disappear due to a developmental trap.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks for your input Goldie, Jack. Just to update, I have already contacted Marwell and Buggy and they said much the same thing. Waste product contains meat so classed as contaminated - and apparently the keepers had already had the discussion about its effectiveness as a cat deterrent and came to the same conclusion - tho not sure if they tested it. I can't get near the animal to try any of the more conventional deterrents. Marwell suggested the local Council but given the law and cats I'm not sure what they could do. My little cockerel Popeye is 15 years and almost blind so I don't want to put him at risk, but I am thinking he can't go on much longer? Once he is no longer with us I think Nick's suggestion of a large cockerel with attitude is a practical one. In the meantime perhaps I should work on the owners and become the neighbour from hell in the hope they will move :wink: :lol:

Cheers Wurzel for the compliment and ID. I hope the wren was a young one and not ill as it was not very active - quite sleepy and still in fact.

Good morning David. Lovely to hear from you as always. Like some others I am guilty of not paying these little butterflies enough attention simple because they are so numerous on many sites around here. I shall resolve to change that.

I am trying desperately to 'catch-up' before the season starts properly. I'm paring things back to the bare bones but cannot ignore another first - a Brown Argus egg-laying. I worked really hard to monitor it and was lucky enough to see it hatch but 'lost' it before its hibernation:
P1140250ad.jpg
P1140254ad.jpg
P1140703ad.jpg
P1140798ad.jpg
P1140976ad.jpg
jenks

Post by jenks »

Hi Pauline,

I`ve just seen your second photo posted on 9 April of the bird bending over to feed on the Blackberries. It looks to me that this bird has a pale brown head in which case I think it might be a female (or juv male) Blackcap. These have brown heads and feed up on berries in autumn. Good photos as always !

Jenks.

Return to “Personal Diaries”