Concern about re-introduction

Jack Harrison

Concern about re-introduction

Post by Jack Harrison »

I heard a discussion on a minor TV channel about “pet passports” after Brexit. No one was quite sure but it was assumed that animal imports/exports are likely to be subject to more stringent checks. One contributor had mentioned the planned import of some “moths” (I suspect he meant Chequered Skipper butterflies to boost the fledgling Midlands re-introduction). The feeling of the “experts” was that licensing of such activities will have to be put on hold until the Brexit situation becomes clearer. (Jack’s added comment – clearer? !)

While keeping in touch with my native Norfolk, I subsequently came across this on the website of Eastern Daily Press:
Headline: ‘It might go back to quarantine’ - Dog rescue charity fears Brexit impact.
Link: https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/brexit-cou ... -1-5968566

Jack
David M

Re: Concern about re-introduction

Post by David M »

There was something about this on the radio yesterday, Jack. Seems a little extreme but I suppose once we're out of the EU (if at all!) these sorts of things will become ever commoner.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Clearly, Jack, we are entering the new 'Dark Ages'. With no more Continental migrants to be allowed into this Country, there will soon be orders issued for Long-tail Blues, QoS Fritillaries, etc., to be destroyed on sight. Please don't be misled into thinking this might be a spoof related to the date. The orders are already out in the birding world, as reported last December - See https://www.birdguides.com/news/licence ... d-species/ , which shows that Natural England are already issuing licences to shoot European Robins and many other undesirables. Butterflies must be next.

The next step must surely be to erect giant mist-nets all along the Channel coast, a la Trump's Wall, to keep all these evil creatures out :)

Mike
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I started this thread as an April Fool’s spoof. But it turns out that I wasn’t far wrong.

So now look at this from the US about Trump’s Wall and a butterfly reserve:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47736573

Politics should have no place on ukb but very difficult to avoid when there are direct impacts on the natural world.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

It is no secret that attempts to re-introduce Chequered Skipper to a site in England are taking place. Following the receipt of some “inside information”, I can reveal that the location is within 100 kilometres of Peterborough.

I wonder how CS is doing this year in its re-introduction site? In truth, I don’t hold out much hope as the Midlands and South of England today are tending to have drier and hotter summers than 50/60 years ago, and certainly have a very different climate from that around the Fort William area of Scotland where Chequered Skipper is seemingly doing well. The drier and hotter climate might have been a factor in its extinction 40+ years ago but clearly given its continued presence in mainland Europe, that can’t be the whole story.

So any up-to-date info about that “new” site?

Jack
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Jack - BC are keeping things 'under wraps' until the butterfly is more fully established. I suspect there will be an update after the flight season.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Jack Harrison wrote:I don’t hold out much hope as the Midlands and South of England today are tending to have drier and hotter summers than 50/60 years ago, and certainly have a very different climate from that around the Fort William area of Scotland where Chequered Skipper is seemingly doing well. The drier and hotter climate might have been a factor in its extinction 40+ years ago but clearly given its continued presence in mainland Europe, that can’t be the whole story.
My understanding is that this was taken into consideration and is the main reason why the source individuals for the reintroduction came from Belgium rather than Scotland - their origin was a close match for the climate and habitat of, as you put it, "within 100 kilometres of Peterborough". :wink:
David M

Post by David M »

CallumMac wrote:My understanding is that this was taken into consideration and is the main reason why the source individuals for the reintroduction came from Belgium rather than Scotland - their origin was a close match for the climate and habitat of, as you put it, "within 100 kilometres of Peterborough".
Yes, Callum, that is true. I believe something like 16 females and half a dozen males were released having been captured in Belgium, where the biotype is similar.

Whether any more adults are being brought over this year I don't yet know.
PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Some facts about the 2018 release, including the number of butterflies, can be found in this article from the 'Back from the brink' website.

https://naturebftb.co.uk/2018/06/18/the ... d-skipper/
David M

Post by David M »

I believe around half a dozen adults have been recorded this year and that further insects from the continent are to be introduced.
John W

Post by John W »

I was fortunate enough to be given a guided tour of the Rockingham Forest site on Monday June 3rd by the Back from the Brink project officer.

Unfortunately we didn't see any Chequered Skippers on that day, although 4 had been seen the previous day, and some had been seen most days for the previous 2 weeks or so.

I'm not sure how many emerged on English soil, but some definitely did. They were topped up with a further 24 brought over from Belgium, 18 females and 6 males. The imported specimens were marked with a red dot to distinguish them from the ones that had emerged in the forest. The import had already taken place when I visited the site.

Cheers
John W

Return to “Chequered Skipper”