Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hole-In-One

Today (27 March) I was driving along the road between Steyning and Washington, so briefly diverted to Wiston to look at the meadow which annually supports good numbers of Orange-tip. This was more in hope than expectation, bearing in mind that the flight season has barely started and it was cool and cloudy. However, the first stem of Cuckooflower I looked at had a male Orange-tip snoozing on it! After that my luck ran out and a search of all the other plants in the meadow failed to turn up any others.
BC Orange-tip, Wiston 27.3.19.jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Great sighting, Neil-they all count! Another site for me to visit when I come down. Can I order some sunshine in early April, please?
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Woah it doesn't normally work that way round, the narrative should be "I checked every single Cuckoo Flower and was about give up and pour myself a coffee when..." :wink: After getting a shot like that I'd have probably not noticed any other OTs anyway :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Well done, Neil. There may only have been one but in the last week of March that's still highly notable!

Give it a week or so and there will doubtless be hundreds! This is a wonderful time of year and for once we have benign weather coinciding with it.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Mark, Wurzel and David. I must confess to feeling a little jammy yesterday, especially this early in their flight period. But the first ones of the year always feel doubly special, so I'm not complaining! At least I earned the shots I got today. :D
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Sitting Pretty

The mix of cooler cloudy periods and warm sunshine provided the perfect opportunity for getting some open-wing shots of male Orange-tips today (28 March). By patiently waiting for cloud cover and watching where they settle, it's relatively simple to predict when they'll reopen their wings, with the best chances being when the returning sunshine is filtered through thin cloud.

I first returned to the meadow at Wiston where the butterfly I found yesterday was still the only one present. A favoured meadow near Billingshurst also produced just a single male, so it will be a few days yet before this species really gets going, at least on my patch.
BC Orange-tip, Wiston (2) 28.3.19.jpg
BC Orange-tip, Billingshurst 28.3.19.jpg
BC Orange-tip, Wiston (1) 28.3.19.jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Aren’t they gorgeous though, Neil? Definitely quality over quantity. Fantastic pictures.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking set of shots :D 8) - there seem t be reports coming in from all over of this species today so hopefully (if the weather stays fair) they'll bearound in good numbers next week :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Picture postcard images, Neil, particularly the first one.

It's surprised me how quickly they've emerged this year, which means they may be 'spent' by early May, so let's get out and revel in their presence while we can....this is a species we only get ONE audience with annually. :(
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all.
David: yes, it's vital to enjoy them to the full before their all-too-brief season is over. I feel the same way about Bluebells; their season is just too short. :(
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Orange-tips

A thorough search of the Cuckooflowers and Bluebells in the meadows and lanes near Billingshurst yesterday (6 April) under cool and cloudy conditions (with none of the promised sunny spells) produced a surprising blank.

However, a move to the meadow at Wiston was much more rewarding, where three snoozing Orange-tips were found with relative ease. The best find was a pair (female to left in image), which I'm sure would have mated during the previous spell of decent weather.
BC Orange-tip pair, Wiston 6.4.19.jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Neil, I am hoping to get down there this week, weather permitting!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mark. Good luck, but I doubt you'll need it if the weather plays ball. Monday and Thursday look ideal if the forecast holds true. Both Billingshurst and Wiston should produce.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Grizzles

This afternoon (7 April) I took my kids to Mill Hill for a butterfly hunt and some mountaineering. Despite the late hour and overcast conditions we managed to find 5 Grizzled Skippers at roost. A couple of them start to fidget and one briefly opened its wings for a couple of minutes when some weak sunshine forced its way through the cloud, but they soon returned to their slumber.
BC Grizzled Skipper (2) Mill Hill 7.4.19.jpg
BC Grizzled Skipper (1) Mill Hill 7.4.19.jpg
BC Grizzled Skipper (3) Mill Hill 7.4.19.jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Neil, hopefully tomorrow. I will consult google maps first. What lovely Grizzed Skippers, too!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That is a lovely powdery Grizzly :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful set of shots Neil - especially like the first Grizzlie which seems to be reaching out to steady itself a bit like a grizzled old man leaning on the bar :D :mrgreen: I hope the mountain ascent was safely completed :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Wurzel
a bit like a grizzled old man leaning on the bar :D
Watch it youngster :evil: :lol:
Jack
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry Jack no offense meant :oops: As I am now have plenty of white hairs in my beard and also as according to my pupils I'm "well old, practically ancient" :roll: I did have myself in mind when thinking about propping up the bar :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I think you missed the "smiley" Wurzel. No offence whatsoever. I laugh at myself. But I don't prop up bars these days (very often). I can't even remember when I last had any alcohol at home.

Jack

Return to “Personal Diaries”