February 2019

Discussion forum for sightings.
NickC

Re: February 2019

Post by NickC »

The blossom makes a wonderful backdrop for that colourful selection of species Mikhail. Great shots.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Jack Harrison wrote:Historic Comparison

I recall some butterfly literature in the mid 20th century referring to a fantastic spring some 60 years earlier – 1893.

I can’t find any reports to how early that was (in terms of emergences). However, Met Office weather archives show that while February 1893 was miserable, March 1893 was warm, sunny and dry.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/c ... ar1893.pdf

So although 2019 isn’t quite an analogue to 1893, there are parallels.

Has anyone any links to butterfly records for 1893?

Jack

Here are the migrant records for the 1890s including 1893 shows it was a good year for Bath Whites and others, although 1892 was a better year
588 Pale/Bergers Clouded Yellows in one year.
1893 butterflies.JPG
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

It was a record week for February up here in East Lothian last week, with seven species having been recorded.
Peacock
Small Tortoiseshell
Painted Lady
Red Admiral
Comma
Small White
Speckled Wood
I suspect that some of those butterflies may be regretting their early emergence now that the weather has returned to something more normal!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I suspect that some of those butterflies may be regretting their early emergence now that the weather has returned to something more normal!
That is why my whites (chrysalises) are still in the fridge.

Thanks Mr.SpOck for the 1893 data.

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

NickMorgan wrote:It was a record week for February up here in East Lothian last week, with seven species having been recorded.
Peacock
Small Tortoiseshell
Painted Lady
Red Admiral
Comma
Small White
Speckled Wood
I don't think the return to cool conditions will do too much harm to the adult overwinterers. They're used to ekeing out their early spring in these kinds of conditions.

Only a small number of other species have emerged and most individuals, I suspect, will be males. So long as we don't get very cold conditions (and that seems unlikely) I reckon everything will be alright and that the next spell of mild weather will see further emergences of Pierids, Speckled Woods, Holly Blues, et al which will go on to reproduce.

Return to “Sightings”