Start point shots

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
daveyboy

Start point shots

Post by daveyboy »

Hi all,
here are a few shots from Start point in Devon.I didnt see a silver studded blue which I was diapointed about,but I did see a clouded yellow on the wing which cheered me up.There were hundreds on Gatekeepers and Meadow browns around,as well as small skippers,large whites,small copper,common blue,red admiral and silver washed frits.

Small copper

2 And a copper again

3 common blue

4 Great green bush cricket

Deano

Re: Start point shots

Post by Deano »

Hello daveyboy
What a lovely lot of shots you have here! I think the underside pics of the Small Copper and the Common Blue are particularly superb.Also,I was really thrilled to hear that you've seen a Clouded Yellow.It's great to know that some are here in Britain - you couldn't direct a few over to Suffolk could you!
Regards
Deano.
Sylvia Godfrey

Post by Sylvia Godfrey »

I love the photo's, the cricket in No.4 looks as thought he's smiling!!! I live in Devon and know it was relatively bright today (24th) but could you tell me whether you used flash to get such excellent results, please?
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

Yes I did use flash Sylvia.I used a canon 430EX flashgun mounted on a flash bracket,and a homemade diffuser.I usually have the camera in manual mode and set at F9-F13 and then adjust the shutterspeed accordingly as I go.I find it all works quite well,and a lot easier than trying to set up a tripod in what is sometimes very difficult terrain.Thank you for the comments,they are much appreciated. :wink:Deano...I will do my best with the clouded yellows!

Return to “Photography”