Wall - Favourite Photo 2018

Medard

Re: Wall – Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by Medard »

Wall (Lasiommata megera)
Loire -Atlantique 01-05-2018 seems such a long time ago, a very enjoyable visit.
MAR_2669_00001_copy.jpg
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
David M

Re: Wall – Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by David M »

You're a bit early for the 2018 thread, Jim....this one is a year old!

Mind you, that's a cracking image. It's not often a mating pair display their uppersides simultaneously.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 19

The penultimate week of the Favourties 2018 thread has seen the 2019 butterflies start to emerge so maybe some lucky butterflies out there have already got one of their Faves of 2019 :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Re: Wall - Favourite Photo 2018

Post by Goldie M »

I was unlucky last year, I saw the Wall butterfly twice only , the first time was on the 20th May in Southport Dunes, I was able to take a Quick shot through the sand Dune's before the Butterfly flew off, so I'm afraid it's that one I'm posting, when I took the other shots the Butterfly was very tatty and worn.Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_b286.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Managed to see both broods locally. This one is from Kilvey Hill in Swansea on 18 May:
1WB2(1).jpg
...and this one is from the later brood, on 19 July in much the same location:
1.Wall1(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I saw Walls all over the place last year, and they definitely seemed to have had a good year in Sussex. Here's a mating pair I came across in the newly recolonized Newhaven Tidemills.
Wall mating, Newhaven Tidemills.JPG
and here's one from Wall Brown Alley between Eastbourne and Beachy Head throwing an interesting pose
Wall male, South Downs Way, Eastbourne.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sadly, not a species I get in my part of the midlands these days although they used to be common enough back in the 1970s. I usually only manage to catch up with these during my various trips to other parts of the country.

I have two favourites, both because I encountered them when I wasn't expecting to.

The first was a female that I saw at Prestbury Hill in late May, I had read that they could sometimes be seen here but I had never seen one at this site before.
Wall Brown - Prestbury Hill 28.05.2018
Wall Brown - Prestbury Hill 28.05.2018
The second was another female that I saw on Arnside Knott in late July, again I had read that they could occasionally be seen at this site but this was the first time I had actually found one there.
Wall Brown - Arnside Knott 31.07.2018
Wall Brown - Arnside Knott 31.07.2018
Cheers,

Neil
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

2018 was notable as the year I first saw Wall on my local patch, Kiplingcotes, following a tip-off from Millerd. However, I took a better photo of this slightly ragged individual, on the walk back down from Irton Fell (and its Mountain Ringlets) on 7th June.
IMG_7197.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wall

As with a lot of my favourites this year this one came from my excellent holiday to the Dordogne and was taken on our last full day at Elvensong. I did see this species a couple of times in the UK but this one stood out the most as not only did I get the shot on the final day but I also it was the last species on the Tally at 50. It also ticked a lot of boxes – under side, upper, stained glass (ever so slightly) etc.
DSC_0777 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Wall”