dark green fritiilary

Discussion forum for sightings.
markatbath

dark green fritiilary

Post by markatbath »

hello
I was at Velvet Bottom reserve (nr cheddar ) yesterday morning and by the car park were at least 50 dark green frits. There were also good numbers of small copper/marbled whites and one very fresh looking Clouded Yellow.
The afternoon was spent at bannerdown looking for white letter hairstreak and essex skipper-none and none!! but I did see another good condition clouded yellow.
regards
mark
eccles

Post by eccles »

Thanks for that Mark. I saw a couple of DGFs at Hazelbury Common today but they weren't in very good condition. I didn't see any of their food plants around so I wonder if they were releases. As for the essex skipper, I got my long awaited spot of this critter at Bannerdown, so they are there. There's a large meadow at the north of the down, and at the south there's a steeper chalky area where scabious is growing. Between these patches, north of a wooded area, is a scrubby patch. That's where I found my essex.
eccles

Post by eccles »

Clouded yellows are popping up a lot at present. I got some good snaps of one at Hazelbury.
I went to Velvet Bottom today. I parked initially at the Mendip Centre car park and walked down the hill. After walking the length of the reserve and back I had seen two DG Frits, both at the bottom of the reserve, and around 6 clouded yellows. Then I noticed that the reserve extends over the road and parking was indicated there. So I drove out of the main Charterhouse car park turned right then right again along a narrow road and found 'the' patch. Not sure about numbers but there were plenty of DGFs, mostly rather worn, plus several clouded yellows. I didn't see any small coppers but there were several marbled whites all along the reserve.

Return to “Sightings”