Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Goldie M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote:This morning I got quite a surprise when I looked outside and saw all the snow...
We've finally had a dose down here in Swansea too, Goldie. Only about half a centimetre but with freezing temperatures through the night I suspect we'll be 'all white' through tomorrow.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel , your Daughter should be really pleased today with all that Snow :lol:

I'm wondering if you got even more snow over night David :D

I think we're going to be lucky here and mss the Snow that's mostly in the South,( hope fully ) we've got quite enough here :roll: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Unfortunately there wasn't enough snow for her to get the much longed for Snow Day - so she is still a Mighty Grump :roll: To make matters worse her older sisters school was closed :shock: :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote:I think we're going to be lucky here and mss the Snow that's mostly in the South,( hope fully ) we've got quite enough here :roll: Goldie
Yes, looks like the south took the brunt on Friday, Goldie. We managed to miss it, but there's still plenty lying over higher ground.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely outside today, Wurzel and David ,it really feels like Spring and the Snow didn't spoil the Snow Drops, I always think Wurzel when we arrive in the S's for Favourite Photos ,Spring is just around the corner :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I hope you're right Goldie and we don't get another Beast from the East like last year which knocked everything back. :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I think we're due tomorrow for the Beast from the West :roll: ( 70 mile an hour winds ) It's made me think and hope of things to come in my Garden just to take my mind off it :D Any way I've posted a few shots of the Garden from last year :D

I wonder if you know of any Butterflies to be found in the Cheddar Gorge, Western- Super-Mare in the the middle of May, I've just agreed to a five day trip with my Sister-In-law, so I'm hoping to see some thing there with out putting her out too much ( she's not at all interested in them but won't mind if we're some where like that and I'm at it with the camera :lol: ) Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_1306.jpg
IMG_1245.jpg
fullsizeoutput_955a.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote:..I wonder if you know of any Butterflies to be found in the Cheddar Gorge, Western- Super-Mare in the the middle of May..
You could check out Sand Point, which is just north of Weston Super Mare, Goldie. Until recently, there was a colony of Glanville Fritillaries there (artificially introduced). They vanished about 4 years ago but in the past the population has been 'topped up', although emergence was normally towards the end, rather than in the middle of May.

At that time of year, I suspect there'll be sites where you could find Grizzled Skippers and Dukes too.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Goldie M wrote: I wonder if you know of any Butterflies to be found in the Cheddar Gorge, Western- Super-Mare in the the middle of May, I've just agreed to a five day trip with my Sister-In-law, so I'm hoping to see some thing there with out putting her out too much ( she's not at all interested in them but won't mind if we're some where like that and I'm at it with the camera :lol: ) Goldie :D
Black Rock reserve might be your best bet - travelling up from Cheddar through the gorge, it is on the left at the point where the gorge becomes less obviously gorge-like and more wooded. Follow the path (level but uneven/stony and can be muddy) through the woods and the limestone slope on your left has Dingy and Grizzled Skipper, and probably Common Blue and Brown Argus too. Just beyond is Long Wood which is a bluebell wood and should have Orange-tips on the wing.

https://www.somersetwildlife.org/cheddar_complex.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely garden shots that brightened up this cold dreary evening :D I'm a bit further East than that area so don't know it that well but both David and Matsukaze make very good suggestions. Whenever I go somewhere new I always check out the Sites page here on UKB

https://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/sites_s ... pecies=All

Brean Down, Crook Peak, Tickenham Ridge and Walton Common all look good. I'd also check out the local Wildlife Trust website...

https://www.avonwildlifetrust.org.uk/

I hope this helps! With luck you should be able to pick up Grizzlies, Dingiesa and Greenstreaks :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks a lot David, Matsukaze and Wurzel, that's really helpful, I do hope I finally get to see a Grizzled Skipper and if I'm lucky a Glanville Fritillary :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My first Butterfly photo of the year today, a Small Tortoiseshell in my front garden on my White Heather, I was so pleased to see it
after missing out on the Comma at HLB. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4882.jpg
IMG_4880.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots Goldie and great news that you got your first Small Tort :D - I got mine as well today though in less relaxed circumstances I guess as mine came in a hurried lunch 1/2 hour :roll: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks a lot Wurzel, funny thing for me was the fact I'd been to HLB a few times and only got a glimpse of a Comma :D Then I spotted this Small Tort in the Garden :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous, Goldie. Great to see you're off the mark, and in your own garden too! :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David, it was a good feeling seeing the Tortoiseshell :D I hope they find some shelter over the week-end, the forecast is not too good.

Yesterday was lovely, I started out by going to Hall-Lee-Brook my local haunt, I thought I'd give it another go :roll: I was glad I did because I saw another Small Tort and also a Comma and this time I got a shot of the Comma :D

I went back home for lunch and decided I'd visit Yarrow Valley Park at Chorley, It's an unusual park, it contains a large Lake and a River which has a Salmon run, also a pond for Fishing.
Has I walked through the tree's with the Lake on my right the Swans and other Birds were in full competition for Mates :D
When I reached the end of the Lake I walked passed the River and continued towards the fields, I'd seen Peacocks there before so I was hoping to see some but when I reached the field lots of men were there with big camera's filming a Kestrel ,I knew my camera would never pick the bird up so I went back to the lane, a man was filming there sat by the fence and I politely asked what had caught his eye, he said a Bank Vole, not having seen one before I asked him if I could get a shot at it and he said " it's a free Park", to which we'd a good laugh :lol:
I took a few shots of it , it was so cute :D Not seeing any Butterflies I retreated and went to the Garden centre for tea and a scone :D To say my legs went one way and me another would be an under statement :D after walking round HLB then the lake I certainly slept well last night :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_b50a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b50b.jpeg
IMG_4890.jpg
IMG_4929.jpg
fullsizeoutput_b508.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b507.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Glad you managed to capture the Comma, Goldie, and you're right, that little bank vole is beyond cute.
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

The Bank Vole: a dear looking Soul...
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your post, Mike and David, what a change in the weather, it's rained all day today certainly glad I made the most of the Sunshine :D
What's the old saying " March comes in like a Lion and goes out like a Lamb " I hope so! :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the Comma Goldie and that Bank Vole is a little cutie - I'll show it to my girls tomorrow and I'm sure they'll break out in a cacophony "Awwws" :lol: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”