Small Copper - Favourite Photo of 2018

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 16

Even though it's cold outside and even though it's dark stupidly early it still feels like spring is starting - Daff, Snowdrops, Aconites are all blooming :D Not long to go now!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: Small Copper - Favourite Photo of 2018

Post by David M »

2018 was a decent year for this species in my part of the UK.

We didn't have the numbers at the back end of the year that the south and south east had but I reckon it was the best year since 2013 here.

I managed to get two on a thistle in Pembroke on 26 July:
1.2Coppers(1).jpg
Later on that same day I came across this interesting ab.:
1.SmCoppab2(1).jpg
A month later, on 25 August at the same site, I also recorded this mating pair:
1.SmCopppairups(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

My favourite image is courtesy of this very accommodating pair at the every reliable Bookham Commons :)
Small Copper mating, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Small Coppers seemed to have a good season in my garden in 2018, with sightings on and off from mid-May through to October. They particularly liked a patch of creeping thistles. The photograph I have selected shows a spider trying its luck, but this time it was unlucky. Can anybody ID the spider?
Attachments
SC2.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw so many Small Coppers last year I've had a job to pick the ones I like Best :D Most of the ones I saw were in August and Sept/Oct, I'd not seen one at all until then, which is unusual because it was mainly when I was in the South that I saw them in other years. I can't count the amazing Blue Badges I saw, they were at Southport, FleetWood, Brockholes even my patch . :D
The very last shot I took was at Brockholes on the 19th of Oct ,I've included it because it's spots seemed too high on the wing at times.Goldie :D
Attachments
Small Copper 25th Sept
Small Copper 25th Sept
Small Copper 5th Sept
Small Copper 5th Sept
Small Copper 25th August
Small Copper 25th August
Small Copper Brockholes 19th Oct
Small Copper Brockholes 19th Oct
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote:I saw so many Small Coppers last year I've had a job to pick the ones I like Best...
Nice to see Small Copper abundance wasn't restricted to the southern third of Britain, Goldie.

After several poor years, they had an annus mirablis in 2018. Only time will tell if this can be sustained.
millerd

Post by millerd »

2018 was a good year for this little butterfly, and my local patch was no exception. They were seen in three broods, a first for some years (I hardly ever find first brooders), and they were always around from July through to November. One or two stood out, in particular one that demonstrated the unusually long life they seem to have for a diminutive insect that spends its life scrapping with any thing that moves. I first saw this one on 19th September when it was fresh, but by no means completely brand new.
SC4 190918.JPG
It was then spotted regularly over the next five weeks: 23rd September
SC5 230918.JPG
27th
SC2 270918.JPG
1st October
SC1 011018.JPG
4th
SC3 041018.JPG
7th
SC1 071018.JPG
9th
SC2 091018.JPG
13th
SC1 131018.JPG
16th
SC3 161018.JPG
18th
SC5 181018.JPG
25th
SC4 251018.JPG
I grew quite attached to little chap! :)

Dave
dave,b,james

Post by dave,b,james »

Like the others posting here 2018 was an outstanding year for the Small Copper here in Northants and after the poor year in 2016 it was certainly a welcome sight!
Small Copper Pitsford Reservoir
Small Copper Pitsford Reservoir
Small Copper ab.caerleopunctata Sywell Reservoir
Small Copper ab.caerleopunctata Sywell Reservoir

Good numbers were recorded throughout the season which culminated in amazing numbers during autumnal emergence. This also coincided with a rare (well rare in Northants) concentration of Clouded Yellows at one site in the county and it was an amazing sight to see both species wrestling to get to the nectar.
Small Copper and Clouded Yellow, Sywell Reservoir
Small Copper and Clouded Yellow, Sywell Reservoir
The highlight of the year though, which if course is my favourite photo, is a picture of a Small Copper ab.Schmidtii+caerleopunctata discovered just outside Northampton. I took many photos but my favourite is below as the low sun during the evening shone through it's wings.
Small Copper ab.schmidtii+caerleopunctata
Here is another photo of this stunning butterfly.
I'm fairly new to this forum but if you'd like to see more pics of the above and read a review of the 2018 butterfly season in Northants you can read it here - http://www.davidjameswildlifediary.com/ ... re-in.html

Best wishes, Dave James
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Very few small copper for me this year, I always seemed to be elsewhere. This one was on a transect count at Monks Wood, Cambs on 28th August I was surprised to see it as it's away from their usual haunts
Small Copper_0308.jpg
Welcome to this forum David I'm sure you will find it very helpful. Your ab.Schmidtii+caerleopunctata is very impressive :mrgreen:
Last edited by Rosalyn on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Medard

Post by Medard »

Small copper seen at Heric, Loire - Atlantique, France. 04-05-2018
Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeas)
Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeas)
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Copper

I remember reading on other people’s PDs about the reappearances of Small Coppers in the later stages of the season and wondering if I would find (m)any on my travels? Then I took one of my usual Monday afternoon trips up Laverstock Down and stumbled onto this one. It was the star of the show on the day what with its appearance as if I’d manifested it but also because of those blue badges. Some of the brightest and largest that I’ve personally encountered. They seemed to dazzle even more against the sultry dark background and ginger topped bonce. A real beauty and so the obvious choice for my fave.
DSC_0389 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Very hard to choose just one photo of my favourite species, which, like others, I felt had had a good year. I've plumped for this one, living up to the name in low evening sunshine at Calley Heath, East Yorks on 6th September.
IMG_4444.CR2.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

dave,b,james wrote: The highlight of the year though, which if course is my favourite photo, is a picture of a Small Copper ab.Schmidtii+caerleopunctata discovered just outside Northampton.
Fabulous find, Dave - well worthy of avatar status!

Equally, it was fabulous good fortune to get Clouded Yellow and Small Copper together on the same flower! :mrgreen:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I didn't see that many Small Coppers to start with in 2018 although they turned up in odd ones and twos at most places i went to. Later in the year they seemed to be doing much better with good numbers seen down in Dorset in early September.
Small Copper - Osmington 01.09.2018
Small Copper - Osmington 01.09.2018
Small Copper - Durdle Door 05.09.2018
Small Copper - Durdle Door 05.09.2018
Small Copper - Ballard Down 06.09.2018
Small Copper - Ballard Down 06.09.2018
The jewel in the copper crown was a nice ab. radiata seen along the bridle path leading up to White Horse Hill from Osmington village.
Small Copper ab. radiata - Osmington 01.09.2018
Small Copper ab. radiata - Osmington 01.09.2018
Cheers,

Neil

Return to “Small Copper”