Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

Great birdfeeder shots Goldie - the Goldfinches look like they're having a good gossip and the male Chaffinch is definitely in the doghouse :roll: :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely to see those Goldfinches, Goldie. When I was a kid they never appeared on our bird table (whereas things like siskin and greenfinch were commonplace when it was cold).

I see them all the time out in the fields so one presumes they have become commoner whereas many other bird species have been in decline.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Andrew, Wurzel and David, I'm getting lots of birds visiting now, If it Snows tomorrow night, Tuesday could be very interesting :D At the moment there's a lovely Moon and the sky's clear so I may set my clock for an early rise to see the Blood Moon .( May ) :lol: Goldie :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

After a sunny start, it has clouded over here, so the 'may' is very weak indeed in my case :lol:
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just looked outside and it's the same here Mike but you never know, they did say it would be at it's best around 6am, fingers crossed :roll: :D Goldie :D
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Goldie M wrote:... they did say it would be at it's best around 6am, fingers crossed :roll: :D Goldie :D
Hi Goldie. Just in case you do get up for the blood moon, totality begins at 04h42 and ends at 05h51 - so 06h00 will be too late. Double check - I've been wrong before ( :D ) - but I wouldn't want you to get up early and miss it!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Guy, I looked out before going to bed and there was nothing but clouds, so I thought that's that! Any way I was up about 7pm
and heard on the news that there was still a chance to see it, so I went out into the garden and saw it ,first in the clouds but then they lifted a bit so I did my best to get some shots by using different setting's :D Best I could do :roll: Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_b2c8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b2cd.jpeg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It was totally overcast here, although I did manage to get up and look! You have some nice shots, Goldie; well worth making the effort :)

Mike
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Goldie :mrgreen: - you joined prestigious ranks of photographers capturing the Wolf Blood Moon this morning including Brian May 8) I had a look for it but the cloud was so thick over this way you I had to cut my way through it to get to my car :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well done for giving it a go, Goldie. The blood moon was worth getting up for, though I’ve no idea where the ‘wolf’ bit comes from.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks for your post Mike, Wurzel and essex, I found it a bit awkward at first taking the shot, I tried all the different modes because there were clouds passing over the Moon and some of the modes were obscuring it all together showing only brightness, it was only when I got into the TV mode ( shutter priority AE ,Speed 1/400 ) that I got the Moon proper, I was amazed at the difference, this mode took a way all the Brightness surrounding it.( It's the first shot in the post.) I was thrilled :D I must say though I could have missed it altogether but for the news saying the Moon was still showing and to get out there :lol:

We're getting the snow showers this morning but the birds are keeping a low profile at present.
I saw a Sparrow Hawk yesterday morning but it didn't land for any shots, it was circling round. I put the bird food out and as usual my little Robin was waiting patiently :D He greets me every morning and I really look forward to seeing him :D He keeps himself very close to the bush so he can dodge in and out. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_b2db.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Well done on getting those Moon images, Goldie.

I was up early myself but in Swansea it was mostly cloudy. :(

Had it been THIS morning, conditions would have been perfect. :evil:
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David, conditions are not too good here at present, I've just taken these shots through the window of the back garden, now I'm waiting to see what the birds think of it :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4832.jpg
IMG_4831.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

If you could send some of the white stuff down our way Goldie that would be great - my younger daughter has been stomping around upset proclaiming "why can't we have snow!" :? :roll:
The cold should be good for the butterflies though - knocking any parasites etc on the head, fingers crossed for a bumper year :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

After a bright, sunny start, it clouded over and then large snowflakes started falling - so it reached at least this far south.

A Grey Wagtail, which is a regular Winter visitor to the garden, appreciated the food I put out and a Song Thrush also visited during the snow.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, Snow's okay if you don't have to go out in it :D Last night was really cold so the snow hasn't moved but we didn't get a lot last night which I'm glad about because I've got the decorator in doing my bedrooms so I wanted him to turn up :D It's one of the job's that got put on hold, so I thought I'd carry on and get it done. Tell your Daughter she'll probably be getting some if the forecast is right :D

Hi! Mike, I've had a lot of Birds visiting but nothing unusual up to now, I went into the garden and had to use the Sun room door because I couldn't get my garden Gate to open, the lock was solid :roll: when I did go to fill the Bird nuts up I couldn't move the container it was solid ice, any way the Sun's been out and it's lovely , a real Winters day and I've managed the nuts :D

Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

That garden scene looks pretty austere, Goldie. Once again, we’ve missed the snow in Swansea, although some of the higher slopes had a dusting yesterday.

I’m sure the birds appreciate what you put out for them even more during these times.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, the foods all gone within an Hour from the bird stand, :D
The Snow has only just gone since Tuesday but they say it's to get cold again on Sunday so I'll have to get out before then and do a bit of shopping , the roads have been very slippy here, so before it gets cold again I'll have to make a move. :roll: Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

This morning I got quite a surprise when I looked outside and saw all the snow :roll: and they say, " more to come " looks like I'm in for the day :) Goldie :D
Attachments
P1030123.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

My younger daughter has been seeing all the snow on the news and is now in an even worse mood than the other day- fingers crossed that we get the forecast heavy fall tonight :roll: :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”