My first few photos

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
GK1976

My first few photos

Post by GK1976 »

Hello to you all,

After taking my camera out with me on my last two walks, I had good fun taking photos of beautiful butterflies. I found this site and identified them all (hopefully correctly!). I only have a Sony Cybershot 8.1 megapixels but I'd appreciate any comments on the photos that I've taken so far.

Many thanks,

Georgina
Attachments
Meadow Brown
Meadow Brown
Meadow Brown.JPG (48.36 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Speckled Wood
Speckled Wood
Speckled Wood.JPG (54.36 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Gatekeeper
Gatekeeper
Gatekeeper.JPG (69.3 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Comma
Comma
Comma.JPG (44.08 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: My first few photos

Post by Pete Eeles »

Wow! What a great start Georgina!It would be good to know what camera you have, since some suggestions may not be possible! But here are a couple:

1. I think your "crops" are a little too tight on the butterfly. It would be good to show some space around the critters! In particular the Gatekeeper's lost the ends of her antennae :)

2. The Meadow Brown (as an example) is a little out of focus because of either a) movement of the subject or b) movement by you :) You could try a faster shutter speed and, if the light levels are too low, using fill-in flash to compensate. You could also try using a monopod/tripod if b) is true :)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
GK1976

Re: My first few photos

Post by GK1976 »

My camera is a Sony DSC-W130 SuperSteadyShot. I'm not a serious photographer at all, but I do enjoy it! I don't have a tripod either so I guess that's not helping.

I see what you mean about the crops - they were quick ones I did and I shall spend more time on them next time.

Thanks for your encouragement! :D

Georgina

Return to “Photography”