Ringlet - Favourite Photo of 2018

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 14

More of the same this week but the end is in sight, it may only be the faintest glint in the distance but there is definitely some light at the end of the tunnel :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Re: Ringlet - Favourite Photo of 2018

Post by Goldie M »

I have two photos I really like of the Ringlet, one I took at Brockholes CCP near Preston on the 22nd June and the one I took in Blean Woods on the 9th of July, I couldn't pick between the two :D Goldie :D
Attachments
9th July
9th July
22nd June
22nd June
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

My favourite was another photo taken during a family birthday party in a relative's wild garden (see also my Marbled White favourite). It was a beautiful sunny afternoon and many butterflies were fluttering amongst the wild flowers, including this Ringlet:
Sutton Montis, Somerset - 23rd June 2018<br />Olympus E-M1-ii with 12-50 macro lens - 1/160s@f/9 ISO 640
Sutton Montis, Somerset - 23rd June 2018
Olympus E-M1-ii with 12-50 macro lens - 1/160s@f/9 ISO 640
Mike
David M

Post by David M »

Took very few shots of this species in 2018, largely due to me being out of the country during their peak flight period.

I managed to get a fresh one at Alun Valley, near Bridgend, on 21st June, prior to decamping to the French Alps for a fortnight:
01Ringlet(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I didn't take too many pictures of these last year, they certainly weren't as numerous as previous years, no doubt the extended dry conditions not being to favourable to this species. My favourite comes in the form of a nice ab who played hide and seek with me as it looked for a roosting spot at the end of a long day at Bookham. I never got the whole insect in frame but I kinda like the fact I managed to get the aberrant ocelli through the gap in the leaves :) .
Ringlet ab. lanceolata, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

I also didn't see many Ringlets this year, though the data for Yorkshire suggested a fairly typical year. I think my trip down south at the end of June coincided with their peak in Yorks, but was slightly too late to catch them in numbers further south, leading to me missing out almost entirely. However, I did see some very fresh individuals at the RSPB St Aidan's reserve on the outskirts of Leeds, on 17th June.
IMG_7771.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Ringlet

This shot became my favourite as it was taken on the same day as my first Ringlet of the year at Daneways and was consolation for missing out on Large Blues due to the very inclement weather which as per usual wasn’t anything remotely like the forecast. The reason it was such a consolation was because one of its wings was slightly deformed and unpigmented so much so that in the dim and drear of the midday sun it positively glowed.
DSC_0200 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
KeithS

Post by KeithS »

The Ringlets around here all seemed to come out in a rush towards the middle of June and had virtually finished by the middle of July. There were lots of them and the hot weather and continuous sunshine kept them on the move. As a result, I didn't get many shots, this was the best of them. From Stonyfield Shaw, Halling, on July 13th...

Return to “Ringlet”