Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2018

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 10

So we’ve reached the half way point – time is flying by which is great because that means that we’re that much closer to being able to start collecting images for the 2019 Faves. :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2018

Post by bugboy »

My now annual trip to Dorset and Durlston Country Park found Lulworths in numbers noticeably lower than in previous years, almost certainly a symptom of the heatwave and very dry conditions. The site did look very parched and most species seemed to be suffering along with the Skippers. Even so you didn't have to look far to find them.
Lulworth Skipper female, Durlston Country Park.JPG
And one making a Small Skipper look not quite so small. (one day I'll get a Small and Essex in this pose!)
Small & Lulworth Skipper, Durlston Country Park.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I had one shot at Lulworths this year, as a detour on 20th June during my return from visiting a friend down in Somerset. I went as Bugboy did to Dulston Country Park near Swanage, and there were a few braving what was quite a cloudy and windy afternoon. The first one was unusually golden for a male, but the second was the more olive-brown hue they generally have.
LWS1 200618.JPG
LWS5 200618.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

This butterfly is very common on the continent and I saw it on all four of my foreign trips.

This fresh female was seen in the French Alps in early July:
10.LulworthSk(1).jpg
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Mine is from Lulworth Cove - or rather, Bindon Hill - on 26th June. This was such a hot day that the butterflies at Alners Gorse were near-impossible to photograph; but fortunately a cooling sea breeze meant I had better luck above the Cove in the late afternoon.
IMG_9144.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lulworth Skipper

I suppose for this I should have chosen one from my shots of my first pair in cop what with those shots being the highlight of my ‘in cop’ hat-trick. However whilst I was chuffed with those they got knocked into second place. My overall favourite featured a male and female side by side a la Identification Field Guide. The shot was taken at the end of June on one of those fantastic days; happy family sitting in the sun facing an azure sea with either side of the Cove in view and hugging around us protectively.
DSC_0151 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Lulworth Skipper”