Large Tortoiseshell - Favourite Photo of 2018

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 9

Apparently Christmas is coming :roll: ? So we must be entering the 9th week of the Favourites Thread 8) This is a bit of a Brucie Bonus this one as I can't recall that many people (possibly one posting?) seeing this species although I'm sure that it could get filled with foreign LT's :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Chris Jackson

Re: Large Tortoiseshell - Favourite Photo of 2018

Post by Chris Jackson »

The great thing about Large Tortoiseshells, at least here in the south of France, is that they give you the impression that winter is nearly over. Particularly down here where it can still be cold but with brilliant blue skies. They boost the moral.
The game for me is to see how early I can spot one.

This year the earliest was on the 28th of January which is probably a record for me.

The context on the outskirts of Marseilles. It was in a defensive posture on the pine tree to the left of this path.
context - polychloros30 St Marcel 28Jan18.JPG
polychloros30 St Marcel 28Jan18 (2).JPG
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

I would love this species to re-establish itself in the UK, Chris. Springtime would be altogether a far more exciting time.

For the first time, this species was around in good numbers in the French Alps in early July. Myself and the venerable Roger Gibbons spent a very pleasant hour or so watching them whizzing about the fruit trees, and were lucky to see this individual come down to the ground for a short while:
5.LTortups2(1).jpg
Medard

Post by Medard »

Nice picture Chris,I had all but given up hopes of seeing the Large Tortoiseshell (Nymphalis polychloros) when unexpectedly this beauty passed me as I was walking along a track, loire-Atlantique, this spring and alighted just in front of me ,most obliging.
DEC_3246 Large Tortoiseshell (Nymphalis polychloros).jpg
Butterflies of Loire- Atlantique, France.
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p48 ... #hba39567c

Return to “Large Tortoiseshell”