Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel :D He was a proud Bird, handsome and knew it the way he stuck is chest out :lol: I didn't want to shoo him a way the other Birds always seem to know when the birds of pray are about. :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Those are rare clear shots of a garden Sparrowhawk, Goldie. Well done (although I daresay your 'regulars' were less than enthused by its presence).

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great shots of the Sparrow Hawk Goldie. :D I don't think I've ever seen one.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, the birds seem to know when there's a Hawk about, I've seen the Hawk's lots of time in my Garden but only once did I see one with a small Bird, I think the Starlings act has a warning for the other birds has they seem to wait for the Starlings to arrive before they venture out then the garden seems full of birds. :D

Hi! Andrew, we seem to get the Sparrow Hawk's more in the Winter and Spring here, they're an awesome looking bird but I'm always glad when they fly off, I don't like to think of them finding my little birds :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great shots of the Sparrowhawk Goldie :D

A few years ago one used to sit in a tree opposite my parents house and watch for birds on their feeders through the gap between the houses. I was round there one afternoon and it came flashing through the gap and took a Sparrow off the fence right in front of us and dropped down into their neighbours garden with it. An amazing thing to see.

Cheers,

Neil.

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

I've been feeding the birds since September and just like you I have had Sparrowhawks visiting the garden. This female took what I thought was a Collared Dove and proceeded to eat it on the lawn. She did not come back, but yesterday a male darted in and caught something in the blink of an eye. Today I went outside and flushed a male hiding in a tree near the feeding station. It flew off, but I was a bit wary in case it came back. We have been getting good numbers of Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Chaffinches and today my first male Blackcap so I hope it does not make a habit of it.
Attachments
Female Sparrowhawk Garden.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, we get sightings of the Sparrow hawk in the garden quite a lot, last year one landed on the fence with a small bird and started to eat it, Needless to say ( not very pleasant ) that's the only one I've seen with a bird I managed a shot of it before I chased it off :roll:

That's a good shot False Apollo, I know they like Collard Doves the best if they can get them, our local vet told me that, after I tried to catch a Wood Pigeon that one had injured, I didn't see it happen, my Husband did, I never managed to catch the Pigeon,
but the Vet said I'd be lucky if I did. :D It won't be so easy for them to catch the birds now all the leaves have fallen so that gives the birds more of a chance :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Sparrow Hawk with prey 11th Sept (1).jpg

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

I do feel a bit guilty about feeding the birds when there is a Sparrowhawk about. The problem seems to be if they realise it is a place they can visit to get an easy meal. Overall I think I should carry on feeding them, especially when food is short. I am certainly doing well for species coming in with Stock Doves (4), 2 Pheasants, Jackdaws, 13 Greenfinches, Goldfinches and the Blackcap being regulars. Luckily the feeding station is on an apple tree with dense cover behind it, so most can hide, but it is the element of surprise. Hopefully it will just be now and then, but I have to say though Sparrowhawks are very impressive birds and we are privileged to see them so close. Nice to see your photos of a very colourful male.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike you sound to be living in a lovely area having Pheasants visit your Garden :) I only see them if I visit Brockholes CP :)
We live near the Moors but it's pretty built up before you get to the Moors even though I can see them from house.
At present I'm seeing mostly Starlings , they seem to stuff themselves before flying off, there's loads of them this year, it would be good if they did one of their famous flight's for the the food they get :lol: Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

A couple of days ago the Sparrow Hawk was back but didn't stay long enough for any shots but has soon has he left some birds suddenly appeared, I can only think they were hiding in my Evergreens :D
The Blackbird, Starling,( which I think was on the outlook for the others) Great Tit, Blue Tit all appeared :D

This next week I'm away for Christmas, so I'd like to wish everyone on UK Butterflies a MERRY CHRISTMAS

I bought myself a 2019 Calendar yesterday and the empty squares stared back at me!
I intend to fill them all has best I can with friends and Family
Happy New Year to every one Goldie :)
Attachments
IMG_4718.jpg
fullsizeoutput_afb3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_afb4.jpeg
IMG_4708.jpg

millerd

Post by millerd »

Those bird shots have a really wintry feel to them, Goldie. I particularly like the blackbird and starling.

Looking forward to more from your garden in the New Year,

Best wishes for Christmas,

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Starling shot Goldie :D
"I bought myself a 2019 Calendar yesterday and the empty squares stared back at me!
I intend to fill them all has best I can with friends and Family"... Sounds like a perfect plan - don't forget to squeeze in a few butterfly trips :D
Happy Christmas and New Year to you too!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Dave and Wurzel, I think the the Starlings when up close can look great and they seem to change colours has well, that one posed good for me :D
I won't be doing as many Butterfly trips Wurzel but I'll still try to get what I can :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote:This next week I'm away for Christmas, so I'd like to wish everyone on UK Butterflies a MERRY CHRISTMAS
All the best to you too, Goldie. I hope you have as good a Christmas as can be expected under the circumstances.

I look forward to catching up with your reports in the New Year.

Best wishes.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks so much for that David, I'm now in Kent with family, I've bought myself a pocket camera for the next year so where ever I wander I won't have to carry the big ones all the time, all the best Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

After traveling down to Kent last Thursday, I was treated to this lovely sight of my Daughter's Dog with his best mate, enough I think to cheer anybody up :D
Wishing every one on UK Butterflies a Happy New Year Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_aff5.jpeg

David M

Post by David M »

Certainly made me smile, Goldie! :)

Have a good NYE, and by the amount of drinks visible in that image I'm pretty confident you will! :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Certainly is a cheery image though I would have thought that they would have been posed oppositely with the Springer having sprung up onto the chair :wink: :D Hope you had a great New Years Eve :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your New Year cheer David and Wurzel, No way was the Springer allowed the chair Wurzel, he sprung there once and was literally sprung off :lol: Toby made it plain it was his chair, he's my Daughter's Dog, Max was just visiting :lol:
We did manage to drink quite a lot of the booze David :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
image.png
image.png (345 Bytes) Viewed 2070 times
David M

Post by David M »

Good to hear you shifted that booze, Goldie. Here's hoping you have an excellent 2019. All the best.

Return to “Personal Diaries”