Green-veined White - Favourite Photo of 2018

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 7

Last week I wasn’t totally convinced that I would be able to post this but despite the machinations of the South West Trains Guards and bewildering capabilities of the Salisbury ticket office I manged to make it to and from the Winter Social – so here we go with Week 7!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Green-veined White - Favourite Photo of 2018

Post by bugboy »

My first image was taken in the spring where I found a couple of males mud puddling next to a trio of Holly Blues also indulging in said mud.
Green-veined White males mud puddling, Hadleigh Country Park.JPG
my second one is this glorious richly coloured female from the summer brood who was probably no more than a few hours old.
Green-veined White female, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw my GVW at Brockholes CP Preston on the 27th June, usually I see the Butterflies at Hall-Lee-Brock which is very near to where I live but this year Hall-Lee-Brook was very disapointing Butterfly wise.
The grasses where the Cuckoo Flower used to be were cut in Spring :( Then just has the Meadow Brown's arrived they cut the grass in the other field :roll: The big surprise was when they stripped the grass and planted wild flower seeds in yet another field
I can't wait to see what happens this Spring. Goldie :)
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_af0e.jpeg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Why have one or two when you can have four? My photo was taken during a memorable visit to the local Garden Centre, during the hot and dry summer.

Numbers of both Small and GvWhites were 'mud-puddling' where hoses had been used on the plants. I chose this particular photo, from the many that I took, because there were only GvW in this particular group. Perhaps the Small Whites will get their chance later in this series!
Nuneham Courtenay GC - 2nd July 2018<br />Olympus E-M1 Mk.ii with 40-150mm lens - 1/1000s@f/10 ISO 640
Nuneham Courtenay GC - 2nd July 2018
Olympus E-M1 Mk.ii with 40-150mm lens - 1/1000s@f/10 ISO 640
Mike
John W

Post by John W »

I never get many pictures of common Whites because they are very fluttery and I have to admit I don't pursue them with the same level of dedication as, for example, a Purple Emperor! But I did get one nice photo this year at Fairhaven Water Garden in Norfolk:
gv-ls - 1.jpg
July 31st 2018, 1.06pm

Cheers
John
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Took very few pictures of Green-Veins ,this year .There were certainly good numbers about though . Of the few pictures I did take ,this male from early May in Orlestone forest is my favourite.
P1210516.JPG
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Like others on this thread, I must have seen thousands of GVWs this year but rarely turned the camera on them. However, I liked this shot of one nectaring on Ragwort at North Cave Wetlands.
IMG_0964.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Very hard to select a favourite here, as so many shots were taken throughout the season. I think perhaps I have a preference for the first ones in spring, the males of which can be almost icily white...
23rd April
23rd April
...and the females very subtly marked.
3rd May
3rd May
The other memorable moment was finding a really tiny female being bothered by a normal-sized male. The difference in size here is only fractionally accentuated by perspective.
5th May
5th May
All taken on my local patch near Heathrow.

Dave
Medard

Post by Medard »

Loire- Atlantic, France.23-04-2018. Not a great deal of nectar to be had from this Dandelion head !!
DEC_3116.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Green-veined White

This was taken during a School trip to a local Windfarm at the end of June when the heatwave was really kicking in. It’s my favourite because it was one of only three butterfly shots that I got all day despite seeing huge numbers of butterflies. Due to the heat they just wouldn’t stop – all bar this individual. I was really happy with the way this ‘grab’ shot panned out and the lovely lemon colouration on the hind wing.
DSC_0201 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Exceptionally I was back in the UK in June and saw this one in Fermyn Woods whilst looking for P.E.s
napi17 Fermyn Woods 01Jul18 (1).JPG
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

I was just about to comment regarding how startlingly well marked your GVW was, Chris, until I noted that you'd seen it in the UK! :)
David M

Post by David M »

I tend to neglect this species, which is a shame as it is unambiguously lovely.....

They can be tricky subjects, especially in the flighty days of early spring, but I was able to nail this individual down on the Gower coast on 21st April:
GVW 15.4.18.jpg
....and then this mating pair on a lovely early May day (5th):
GVW pair 05.06.18.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

An underrated butterfly sometimes, especially the summer brood which tends to be overshadowed by more showy species. Nevertherless, it has a subtle beauty of its own which is particularly evident when nice and fresh.

A nice spring brood male underside from my local spot at Castle Hills near Solihull,
Green-veined White male underside - Castle Hills 26.04.2018
Green-veined White male underside - Castle Hills 26.04.2018
A summer brood underside from my garden, I particularly like the dark background on this one from the shade of a shrub behind the butterfly,
Green-veined White underside - Coverdale 22.07.2018
Green-veined White underside - Coverdale 22.07.2018
A couple of summer brood females, the first one from my trip to Fermyn Woods,
Green-veined White female - Fermyn Woods 28.06.2018
Green-veined White female - Fermyn Woods 28.06.2018
and this one from Snitterfield Bushes near Stratford-upon-Avon.
Green-veined White female - Snitterflield Bushes 04.07.2018
Green-veined White female - Snitterflield Bushes 04.07.2018
Cheers,

Neil
KeithS

Post by KeithS »

A fresh-looking male, Merralls Shaw, Cuxton, 10th May...

Return to “Green-veined White”