Phengaris teleius.

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Medard

Phengaris teleius.

Post by Medard »

After an enjoyable visit to the Doubs and the Jura we leave on a high to search for the Scarce large blue Phengaris teleius.

A site recommended in the Isère département proved to be all but inaccessible, we quickly abandoned the site and continued our journey to the Dordogne ,making a halfway stop at Noiretable.

Our journey continued the following morning across a spectacular landscape dotted with "Puys" extinct volcanos that are a feature of the Auvergne landscape.

We finally arrived at our destination in the Dordogne and were welcomed at the site by two Hoopoes feeding close by, this pleasant campsite was ideally placed less than a kilometre from the small reserve were I was hopeful of finding teleius.
Hoopoe (Upupa epops)
Hoopoe (Upupa epops)
The following day visiting the site I was delighted to find freshly emerged Large chequered skippers, a little further down the track several Map, Dryads were numerous,the Dryad is a particularly annoying butterfly , it's habit of dropping into the undergrowth after a short flight makes it a particularly difficult butterfly to photograph,after several days my search for teleius had drawn a bank, conclusion, more patience was needed.

https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p57 ... #hb2142d1e
Large Chequered Skipper (Heteropterus morpheus)
Map (Araschnia levana)
Map (Araschnia levana)
Dryad (Minois dryas)_
Dryad (Minois dryas)_
Marbled White.( Melanargia galathea fm. eucomelas)
Marbled White.( Melanargia galathea fm. eucomelas)
The wait gave chance for a little tourism, the nearby medieval village of Villbois-Lavalette with its Chateau perched on the hill appears to be a miniature Carcassonne viewed from a distance, an empty shell within the walls, onto the Lac de Jemay in the Forêt de Double, few butterflies were seen at this location unlike the previous year.
Villbois-Lavalette,Chateau
Villbois-Lavalette,Chateau

A lazy start to the morning then another visit to the Tourbiere,among the many Ringlets a single False ringlet seen, another rarity, still no sign of teleuis, Dryads had become more numerous, at long last one gave an opportunity for an open wing shot, so the day was rated a success.
False Ringlet Female (Coenonympha oedippus)
False Ringlet Female (Coenonympha oedippus)
Ringlet (Aphantopus hyperantus)
Ringlet (Aphantopus hyperantus)
Dryad (Minois dryas)
Dryad (Minois dryas)
The following day making my daily visit I met a fellow on the track, I greeted him, he was English, I asked him if he had seen teleuis, three was his reply, I excitedly asked him if he could show me where, he lead the way along the track, the moment we arrived not one but three newly emerged teleuis greeted us, the fifth of my target species accounted for.

https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p57 ... #hb29665a4
Scarce Large Blue (Phengaris teleius)
The site is also home to an amazing number of Dragons and Damselfly species ,several protected plants had been pointed out to me by a chance meeting with a knowledgeable local naturalist.
Thalictrum flavin
Thalictrum flavin
Teucrium scordium sub sp Scoroides.
Teucrium scordium sub sp Scoroides.
Crocothemis erythraea
Crocothemis erythraea
Female Onychogomphus uncatus (Blue-eyed HooktailLarge Pincertail
Female Onychogomphus uncatus (Blue-eyed HooktailLarge Pincertail
It had been a successful trip five of six rare butterflies seen,regrettably once again the Large heath that was on the list and that I had hoped to find had eluded me, one day perhaps.

https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com
petesmith

Re: Phengaris teleius.

Post by petesmith »

Fantastic stuff Jim! I can imagine how chuffed you must have been seeing these beauties, and I definitely envy you your teleius and oedippus!
Villebois-Lavalette was our local supermarket / restaurant when we stayed in the Dordogne last year - lovely place!
And yes, those Dryads can be quite a challenge to photograph...
David M

Post by David M »

Wonderful, Jim. Those Scarce Large Blues are a delight....not to mention the False Ringlet & Large Chequered Skipper.
Medard

Post by Medard »

Thank you for your comments,much appreciated.

I am struggling with this skipper ,photo taken at same location in the Dordogne, the nearest match I can find seems to be one on Matt Rowlings website, Pyrgus alveus please can someone comment.
MAY_6067_copy 3x2 reduced Pyrgus alveus .jpg
Large skipper,never seen a butterfly nectaring on a convolvulus flower, is this unusual.
MAY_5666.jpg
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Your mystery skipper looks very much like a Dingy Skipper to me, albeit rather worn.

Dingies can be very variable, especially at altitude, some of them being dark grey with much greater contrast in the markings than we would expect based on UK experience.

Roger

Return to “Overseas”