Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks so much David, my family have been great , it helps when you've got family, they want me to go down to Kent in a fortnight just for a break but my home is here and I've lots to arrange, Garden for instance , getting some trees trimmed is a priority.( The garden seems enormous at present) although not really :D thanks again for your kind thoughts, Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I am sorry I have not been keeping up with other people's diaries for some time and I don't know why but today I thought I'd look at one. That one was yours!

I am stunned by your news. I know its a bit belated but I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I am happy to know that you are bearing up though.

I lost my mother to pneumonia a couple of years ago and I was walking around in a daze for some time, then after a while I felt a bit better, then a month or so later it hit me again and I was almost back to square one. My family was a boon during this time as I know yours will be.

And then - one day I looked back with fond memories of her life without any of the sadness.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks so much ernie, for your kind thoughts, Jim had been ill for some time with his chest and was gradually going worse, so it was expected but still a shock when it finally caught up with him. He was one in a million and will be sorely missed.Goldie :(

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Quite a while since I posted but this morning through the kitchen window I spotted the Gold Finch having a good tuck into the seeds :) also the young Starlings seemed to be every where showing off their new feathers :) Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_aedc.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_aedb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_aed8.jpeg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

When I see the young Starlings in the garden, I find it quite easy to accept that birds are descendants of dinosaurs.

It's always a pleasure to see Goldfinches in the garden and they bring such a delightful twittering as well. It's often surrprising what turns up in gardens during the winter. We have had Blackcaps with us, for several years in succession, and one year there were lots of Siskins but I haven't seen them here again, since then. One surprise visitor for the last couple of years was a Grey Wagtail, with its splendid bright yellow underside. It appreciates the pond in the garden so I hope it will come back this year.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, I've taken over feeding the birds in the Garden now, I've been surprised how they come every day looking at the kitchen window has much has to say," when are you coming out " :D A Robin in particular stands an arm's length a way on the fence until I put the food out :D I even get some nice bird noises at times :D
Your right about the Winter, that's when the different ones arrive, I'll have to get handy with the camera especially when the Snow arrives :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Keep an eye on those Starlings Goldie, blooming teenagers nothing but trouble :wink: I know I now have one with another in the offing! :? :roll: :lol:

Have a goodun
Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, watch out when they start pruning their feather's :lol: Goldie :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Glad the Goldfinches are starting to come to your feeders, Goldie :D We've only had one so far, but I think more will begin to arrive with the cold weather that's forecast.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Max, I'm wondering if we'll get an early snow fall, it's certainly turned colder here. Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

No wonder the birds are starting to turn up at your feeders, Goldie. I saw the pictures of the snow in the Peak District. I guess the Pennines further north got a dusting as well, along with the Cumbrian fells?

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, the Pennines definately got some snow, we just got a mixture, ( sleet) today though we had Frost :roll:
The Black Birds are usually waiting for me, I give them some Grapes :) The Robin likes a bit of cheese :D They all get suet pellets,
so it's no wonder they gather like they do :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote:Hi! David, the Pennines definately got some snow, we just got a mixture, ( sleet) today though we had Frost :roll:
The Black Birds are usually waiting for me, I give them some Grapes :) The Robin likes a bit of cheese :D They all get suet pellets,
so it's no wonder they gather like they do :D Goldie :D
You sure spoil them, Goldie. It was a shock for me to see all the bad weather given that my area remained fairly mild. Reading today's papers, it looks like there may be more cold weather on the way so I'd stock up on those suet pellets if I were you. :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

On my way to the shops tomorrow David :lol: Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was just about to go into the garden to feed the birds this morning and I was checking the feeders to see if any thing was needed through the kitchen window, when I spotted the Sparrow Hawk sitting in the Tree at the bottom of the garden, I dashed back into the living room for my camera and managed two quit shots thinking it would fly a way, it didn't, so I managed another couple before it did :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_af2a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_af28.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_af26.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_af27.jpeg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

He looks like a handsome devil Goldie. I bet the rest of the garden was empty of birds though with him sitting up there, bold as brass!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I agree with Bugboy: that's a very handsome male. You might want to check the flight-lines between that tree and your feeders, so that you don't make it too easy for him. We put some netting across the direct path, to deter the Sprawks from using our feeders as a fast-food outlet.

Mike

trevor

Post by trevor »

What a surprise, Goldie. Great shots too.
My Cat caught a Sparrow Hawk, which had been plucking it's prey, in my garden.
Fortunately the Bird escaped, though clearly injured.

Have a great Christmas,
Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Bugboy, the garden was certainly empty :D It's the first time I've seen a Sparrow Hawk with such good colours and in my Tree ,they usually land on the fence, I'm thinking he's very young. :D

Hi! Mike, he was in the very tree where the bird seeds are , I've two feeders in there!!! I've only Two big trees in the garden the other's are mostly Butterfly bushes. I'd just had the tree's cut and shaped for Spring, Jim did it every year but of course couldn't this year so I was set on having them cut!!! May be they've given the bird too much room to spread his wings :roll:

Hi! Trevor, I bet that Hawk will think twice before coming back to your Garden :lol:

It hasn't deterred the birds , this morning I'd a Robin, a Blackbird, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Dunnock, Woodies, Gold Finch, Chaffinch, it's great to see them each day :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Sparrowhawk shots Goldie - very envious as that's one of the species I dearly love to get some shots of and especially one in such fine dress :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”