Unknown Blue

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
selbypaul

Unknown Blue

Post by selbypaul »

Hi folks
The two photos show a butterfly I took photos of on Mount Chelmos in Southern Greece in mid June this year. At the time, I just thought it was an aberrant Blue of some sort. I still think it probably is. But I can't be sure.

I've considered it being a Chequered Blue, as the colours of the underside are similar. But the topside doesn't give a hint of that.

I've also considered Bavius Blue and Reverdins Blue, or at least aberations of them. Alternatively, I've wondered about aberrant Eastern Brown Argus.

Any ideas from anyone else? Thanks in advance
Paul
Attachments
P1030564 (2).JPG
P1030562 (2).JPG
David M

Re: Unknown Blue

Post by David M »

Is that a stonecrop or a vetch she's ovipositing on, Paul?

Sedum is the LHP of Chequered Blue whilst I believe Reverdin's preferred choice is crown vetch.
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

I think this is the taxon that, depending on which checklist you favour, is either Kretania or Plebejus or Plebejides sephirus or brethertoni. One of the Zephyr blues in the pylaon group. Help!!!

M.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

David M wrote:Is that a stonecrop or a vetch she's ovipositing on, Paul?

Sedum is the LHP of Chequered Blue whilst I believe Reverdin's preferred choice is crown vetch.
I'm not entirely sure what the plant is. Don't think it was a Sedum though. It's definitely more like a vetch, but not sure it actually was
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It's difficult enough placing 'typical' Plebejus butterflies, let alone aberrants like this. I agree with Mikhail that the taxon variously known as Plebejus/Kretania sephirus/sephirus brethertoni/pylaon brethertoni/brethertoni is a strong candidate and is known from Mt Chelmos (in fact, that's its type locality). Pamperis notes that brethertoni may have blue in the submarginal dark spots, as this individual appears to have. Brethertoni uses milk vetch as a foodplant (as do all the Kretania group).

Do you have any photos of non-aberrant blues flying in the same area?

Guy

PS - eurypilus (Eastern brown argus) is doubtfully recorded from Mt Chelmos according to Pamperis - i.e., there is at least one doubtful record.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Padfield wrote:It's difficult enough placing 'typical' Plebejus butterflies, let alone aberrants like this. I agree with Mikhail that the taxon variously known as Plebejus/Kretania sephirus/sephirus brethertoni/pylaon brethertoni/brethertoni is a strong candidate and is known from Mt Chelmos (in fact, that's its type locality). Pamperis notes that brethertoni may have blue in the submarginal dark spots, as this individual appears to have. Brethertoni uses milk vetch as a foodplant (as do all the Kretania group).

Do you have any photos of non-aberrant blues flying in the same area?

Guy

PS - eurypilus (Eastern brown argus) is doubtfully recorded from Mt Chelmos according to Pamperis - i.e., there is at least one doubtful record.
Thanks Guy, and all the others.
My main focus that day on the slopes of Mount Chelmos was photographing the Odd Spot Blue and Chelmos Blue, both of which this aberrant definately isn't! So I didn't take too many other photos. Other than of the attached Zephyr Blue, does that help
Best Wishes
Paul
Attachments
P1030540 (2).JPG
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That seems to me to be brethertoni - though Mikhail is the expert on the Balkans - so confirms they were flying there and then. Whether it's counted as a separate species from sephirus and/or pylaon is not for me to judge but the taxon itself seems well enough defined by its chromosome number. The zephyr blue complex is highly fragmented - and complex!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Padfield wrote:That seems to me to be brethertoni - though Mikhail is the expert on the Balkans - so confirms they were flying there and then. Whether it's counted as a separate species from sephirus and/or pylaon is not for me to judge but the taxon itself seems well enough defined by its chromosome number. The zephyr blue complex is highly fragmented - and complex!

Guy
Indeed, I've done some reading online about the Zephyr's, since your post, and you're right, it is complex!

Still complete guesswork about the aberrant then!
Kip

Post by Kip »

I'd go with aberrant Zephyr Blue female... I saw the species favouring the same plant in Turkey and this is a female upperside... looks similar enough to me. :?
140608  P. sephirus    4299.jpg
More pics on http://ptkbutterflies.wixsite.com/photo-art - should you wish to look, I hope you like the site..
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Thanks Kip. That's very helpful. I'll settle on aberrant female Zephyr Blue!

Return to “Overseas”