Arnside Knot Late July?

Discussion forum for sightings.
Danny

Arnside Knot Late July?

Post by Danny »

Am off to Arnside Knot on 28th July 2006. I would like to see a High Brown Frit as I've never seen one. I saw 1 Scotch Argus there last year on a damp day! What are my chances of seeing H Brown in Late July?

Are there Large Heath at Arnside Knot (I've never seen one of those either!)

Danny
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Danny,

Yes - you should still see High Brown Frit, although I imagine they'll be fairly worn by then.

No Large Heath at Arnside, but on the other side of Morecambe Bay at Meathop Moss. See http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/sites_ng ... hop%20Moss. They'll be pretty worn too :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Danny

Post by Danny »

Thanks Pete. I'll give Meathop Moss a shot too. Since I'll be up there (I live in East Sussex). It's two hours from Liverpool (where I'm from originally). My dad (who finds walking very difficult) will come with me. Last time the only butterfly flying there was the lone Scotch Argus. I ran after it and pounced on it with my hat and put it in a urine sample jar (!). Then took it down the hill and showed my elderly father! So he could have the emotional experience of a new species spot! I released it and it was the last (and first) butterfly of the day.

Danny
Oy

Post by Oy »

I may be up the Knott this coming Sunday!

Watch this space :)
Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time.
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

I've been today - my first visit and I'm not sure if I covered the best areas.
I carried on a few hundred yards down the track that runs past the car park and found an opening among trees where clumps of brambles were attracting a variety of species - meadow brown, speckled wood, comma, red admiral, small white, peacock and a solitary scotch argus. There were 3 or 4 fritillaries active in the area but they were very restless and I couldn't get close enough for positive identification.
Also went to Meathop Moss but no sign of large heath. Another visitor said he'd seen a solitary example.
DJT
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

At Arnside I normally go up the hill next to the car park and then, once on the hill, head to the right. I once went along the same path, found the opening, kept going ... and got completely lost! Arnside is joined up to a fairly-large wood complex which is where I assume I ended up!

Sounds like Large Heath are on their last legs at Meathop, which surprises me. I'd have given them until the end of the month.

Cheers,

- Pete
Oy

Post by Oy »

I spent a lot of my youth in and around Arnside so I know the area VERY well.

I'll give the place a good going over :)
Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I quite fancied visiting at the beginning of august for the Argus, thats if I can get the time off work....

Let us know how it was Oy ;-)
Wayne
Jon

Post by Jon »

It could be worth asking for advice on the local birders website at http://lancasterbirdwatching.org.uk/forum/list.php?8
Many of the posters there knwo the site quote well
Oy

Post by Oy »

Stop Press!

Drop the dead donkey!

Mission brought forward!

We're going tomorrow! :D
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Excellent. Let us know how you get on! I'd be particularly interested in sightings of Scotch Argus (and if any females are out yet), High Brown Fritillary and Northern Brown Argus.

You might also see Grayling.

Cheers,

- Pete
markhows

Post by markhows »

I will be going a week on Saturday, should be OK for Scotch Argus but will it be too late for NB argus?

Thanks

Mark
Jon Stagg

aRNSIDE kNOTT

Post by Jon Stagg »

The LDBWS website reported today that :
"Plenty of Scotch Argus on the wing today as well as HB and DG Frits." at Arnside Knott

See http://www.lancasterbirdwatching.org.uk ... hp?8,10789
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I was there on the 28th and 29th.

I saw:
100+ Scotch Argus (including mating pair)
40+ Grayling
20+ DG Frits (worn)
Approx 10 HB Frits (good condition)
Approx 10 Speckled Wood
Approx 5 Common Blue (brand new)
Lots of Meadow Brown
Lots of Painted Lady, Peacock and red Admiral
1 Comma
1 Mating pair of green veined white.

There was no Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell, Small Copper or Hairstreaks.
(although the Hairstreaks could have been hiding :-) )
Wayne
Oy

Post by Oy »

Sounds good!

If we get a good forecast I may nip up there midweek.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I will be going a week on Saturday, should be OK for Scotch Argus but will it be too late for NB argus?
Yeh :-(

They fly mainly in June, I spotted a couple at Bishop Middleham Quarry at the end of june but they were rather worn.

Here's a pic, next year I'll go back earlier and on a brighter day! :
Wayne
markhows

Post by markhows »

I am definatly going on Saturday, hope the weather is OK.

Any pointers on the best places to look for Scotch Argus and high brown frit?

What else would be around?

Any other places local to go as well?

Thanks

Mark
Danny

Post by Danny »

I went to Arnside with my dad as promised and saw HBF for the first time. There were loads about. Tons of Scotch Argus too. HBF outnumbered DGF about 10 to 1. I'm afraid I took a net so as to confirm the species. I tried not to use a net but everytime I droppped down to check the underside they flew away, besides I had to take one down the hill in a jar to show my 79 year old dad who had also never seen one. I was going to go to Meathop Moss to see Large Heath (never seen that one before) but was told that they were over there, by another butterflyer.

Main place was up the steep rocky hill (grayling), past the monument viewing type thingy, into the woods and on the left. There is a clearing with ragwort everywhere.

Danny

Return to “Sightings”