Highlights of a trip to the Doubs 2018. Part 1.

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Medard

Highlights of a trip to the Doubs 2018. Part 1.

Post by Medard »

Highlights of a trip to the Doubs 2018.
A return trip to the Doubs was planned with the hopes of seeing several more of the regions rarities.
The Moorland clouded yellow and the Cranberry fritillary were the two of my target species, for some reason that I can't explain the Cranberry Fritillary had captured my imagination , all research seemed to suggest another visit to wet locations, BOGS,this proved to be the case, glad I took the wellies.
This visit unlike our wet visit of 2016 was with beautiful blues skies and sunshine.
The Doubs.jpg
The meadows were covered with wild flowers perfect for butterflies and the winged wonders did not disappoint, Small tortoiseshells were abundant, as were Lesser marbled Fritillarys, Small pearl bordered Fritillarys to mention but a few, but it was the Cranberry Frit that was the challenge, with so many Fritillarys flying at the same location,five different species at one location visited, trying to spot a Cranberry was a very difficult task, especially so never having seen one before, never the less one evening at the camping as I carefully examined every pic from the days shoot I noticed one was showing a distinctively orange underside with a white spot,I had unwittingly found my first Cranberry fritillary, despite returning the following day no others were to be seen at that site, not to worry,at the next site visited more were seen along with my second target species the Moorland clouded yellow, a truly beautiful insect when newly emerged.

Cranberry Fritillary ( Boloria aquilonaris)
MAY_4041 Cranberry Fritillary ( Boloria aquilonaris)_.jpg
Moorland Clouded Yellow (Colias palaeno)
MAY_7188 Moorland Clouded Yellow (Colias palaeno).jpg
Vaccinium oxycoccos, Host plant for Boloria aquilonaris
MAY_7169 Vaccinium oxycoccos_.jpg

My Wife now decided it was time for a break from butterflies, a shopping expedition to Pontalier was organised, shopping is not my forte so I sat at the parking drooling over my Cranberry photos.

A conversation with a fellow camping cariste parked along side suggested the Cirque de Consolation would be an interesting place to visit,it was indeed an attractive enclosed valley,situated at the bottom of this valley a grim Monastery that would have been a good setting for a remake of the Colditz story set alongside a roaring torrent, parking was available for a modest fee and became our stop for the night.

The following morning a neighbour drew my attention to three grass snakes basking in the early morning sun a small compensation for this dreary spot.
MAY_3235 Grass snakes..jpg
Part 2 to follow, A video of butterflies of the Doubs can be seen can be on the link below.

https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p57 ... #hb9fdc645
petesmith

Re: Highlights of a trip to the Doubs 2018. Part 1.

Post by petesmith »

Nice work James! Cranberry Fritillary is still on my list of French species that I have yet to see - I think I shall be following your lead and making a return trip to Doubs in a couple of years time...it would be interesting to know what time of year you visited for these two target species.
David M

Re: Highlights of a trip to the Doubs 2018. Part 1.

Post by David M »

Yes, well done, Jim. This isn't a common butterfly at all in France (in fact, I think it remains one of the six mainland French species Roger G has yet to see).

Lovely habitat shot. Being mainly south of France centric, I'm always interested in those images that show things one doesn't expect in that country, e.g. that beautiful wetland scene that you have kindly provided.

Return to “Overseas”