jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Paul Harfield

Re: jackz432r

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks all for your comments :D
NickMorgan wrote:Hear hear! The information yo9u give about White Letter Hairstreaks is really interesting and I have learned a lot. I am particularly interested since Iain Cowe has discovered them in South East Scotland, not far from our new house. I have been looking for the wrong sort of feeding damage on the leaves, so will have to start again!
It is fantastic news that the White-Letter Hairstreak has now appeared in Scotland, even better that you have them close to home. Lets hope that this delightful but elusive little butterfly continues to spread Northwards.
Nick do not be put off if your feeding damage does not look like the images I have posted because it does seem to vary. I have not yet looked into this very deeply but it would appear to differ according to a variety of factors ie type of Elm, whether the leaves are in sun or shade and also the relative stage of the leaves/larvae. When I posted those photos of feeding damage I was aware that they were considerably different to those posted by Jamie Burston who has also put a lot of time and effort into this species in Sussex.
27.5.2018 Recently posted image of larval feeding damage
27.5.2018 Recently posted image of larval feeding damage
6.5.2018 This image was taken in the same location 3 weeks earlier. It demonstrates that the leaves here were much more mature than those seen in the next image taken 11.5.2017
6.5.2018 This image was taken in the same location 3 weeks earlier. It demonstrates that the leaves here were much more mature than those seen in the next image taken 11.5.2017
The pictures of feeding damage I posted recently are on Wych Elm. The particular branch shown is shaded for most of the day only getting sun for a very short period mid morning. Even on 6.5.2018 the leaves here were fully formed and already quite large and leathery when the larvae were present. By the 27.5.2018 most of the larvae had already dispersed for pupation.
11.5.2017 This image taken last year shows feeding damage on a much younger leaf and leaving a distinctive 'diamond' of untouched leaf at the tip
11.5.2017 This image taken last year shows feeding damage on a much younger leaf and leaving a distinctive 'diamond' of untouched leaf at the tip
The last image was taken 11.5.2017. It again shows Wych Elm but the leaf is much younger and not fully unfurled. It was also located in a much sunnier position and is from an entirely different site though the larva was at a similar stage. It shows another quite distinctive type of feeding damage where a 'diamond ' of untouched leaf is left at the tip. The flight period started at almost the same time in 2017 as it did in 2018 so there would seem to be several factors at work here. This is perhaps something that might make an interesting study next year.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

White-Letter Hairstreak - 2018 - Part 2

15.6.2018 A32 Warnford Park to Chawton Park - Nearly all of my Elm/White-Letter Hairstreak finds are roadside sites. The A32 has been a very productive route for finding suitable sites, both single trees and long stretches of Elm. This busy A road follows the Meon Valley from Gosport to Alton via Fareham and several well known picturesque Hampshire villages. I have yet to complete a study of the entire length, but the 20 mile stretch between Warnford and Chawton has so far been particularly productive. I have found White-Letter Hairstreak at Warnford Park (SU61962218), West Meon (SU64202369), Privett (SU66952827), East Tisted (SU70403337)and Chawton Park (SU705363-4) and there is plenty of scope for further discoveries in that section and elsewhere along the remaining length of this road.
Two images a year apart of the same isolated Wych Elm on the A32 at Privett. The first taken 18.6.2017 showing an apparently healthy tree...
Two images a year apart of the same isolated Wych Elm on the A32 at Privett. The first taken 18.6.2017 showing an apparently healthy tree...
....and this taken 15.6.2018 showing the same tree transformed into a very sad state. The loss of its associated White-Letter Hairstreak colony is sadly inevitable!
....and this taken 15.6.2018 showing the same tree transformed into a very sad state. The loss of its associated White-Letter Hairstreak colony is sadly inevitable!
However, this area also provided bad news in 2018. The site at Privett near the junction of Fawley Lane and A32 (SU66952827) which I discovered last year appears to have succumbed to Dutch Elm Disease. It is a single isolated roadside Wych Elm. Last year I recorded In my notebook that the tree appeared to have lost nearly all its leaves by 17th October, which was unusually early. This year my 29th April entry reads 'Hardly any flower/seed no leaf. Just 1 or 2 branches showing seed'. On 15th June 2018 it looked no different with just a couple of branches having very small leaves otherwise the tree apprearing completely dead. Most importantly no White-Letter Hairstreak were evident. Sadly this was not the only place where Dutch Elm Disease was evident, hopefully the consequences in other locations will not be as dire.
Elm clump on Wide Lane Southampton from the road
Elm clump on Wide Lane Southampton from the road
...and from the convenient viewpoint in the University Sports Ground car park.
...and from the convenient viewpoint in the University Sports Ground car park.
22.6.2018 Wide Lane, Southampton (SU44991734) - This was perhaps the most surprising site I discovered this year. Although it has been on my list for a while, it was not one I had planned to visit this year. As I drove from one planned stop to another I realised I would be driving right past. Somehow it looked more promising today so I decided to pop in for a 'quick' look. This small clump of Elms is on the roadside of Wide Lane near Lakeside Country Park and opposite Southampton Parkway Railway Station. It is also directly alongside 'Southampton University Wide Lane Sports Ground' overflow carpark which provides a conveniently secluded observation point away from the main road. As this was just a 'quick' look I Stupidly decided to leave my kit in the car including my close up lens and just taking my camera and binoculars :? .
22.6.2018 Not very good shots, but this was my first view of an egglaying female White-Letter Hairstreak during 2018. I would be better equipped next time....
22.6.2018 Not very good shots, but this was my first view of an egglaying female White-Letter Hairstreak during 2018. I would be better equipped next time....
P1170125.JPG
I arrived around 11.30 am and instantly I could see a lot of butterfly activity around this small group of Elms, quickly confirmed as White-Letter Hairstreak. In fact this site was to provide me with one of my highest counts this year with a total of 11 recorded. This site was also to give me my first glimpse of a female egg laying behaviour. At about 11.40 a female fluttered down in front of me to a shaded branch (that would later be in full sun) at about head height. Whilst she meandered in and out of the leaves constantly twisting and turning she was very difficult to keep in view. She was doing a lot of 'oviposturing', but I believe she laid just egg having spent several minutes finding the right spot. Having left my close up lens in the car with the rest of my kit I was frustratingly ill-prepared to capture this moment, I hoped I would get another chance. I will certainly return to this site as it is easily accessible,close to home and there is also an expanse of Thistles and Brambles close by though I did not see any nectaring at this visit.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More really great work Paul :D Is there a particular size/age of tree that makes it suitable for colonisation? I ask because the Master tree in Bentley this year was not looking good but there are a few smaller suckers close by?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous observations again, Paul. This species seems to turn up wherever there are elms and it's important that we all keep it on our radar during the flight period.

Better still would be to get a few larval images, although that's probably beyond the remit of most (including myself).

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I had no idea a Wych Elm could be so devastated in such a short time, Paul. Thanks for the before and after pictures. It saddened me more than I can explain.

Ernie F
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

More brilliant information. Thank you Paul.
I have lost two elms this year to DED, sadly both in lovely sunny locations. I am wondering if I should start to coppice the remaining elms to try to ensure their survival. Of course the risk is that if there are any larvae they would be killed in the process!

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks Wurzel :D - The accepted view is that an Elm will not get colonised until it starts to flower (15yrs) assuming that there are already White-Letter Hairstreak close enough. However, this year I have had several instances when visiting new sites where the main Large tree has not been the centre of Hairstreak activity. Smaller, probably nonflowering trees have been the focus at least for the males. I think that the butterflies may use a non-flowering tree in desperation when the host tree becomes diseased and there are no other suitable trees close by. I have also come to realise this year that when I find Elms that are not quite 'ready' within a couple of years they may become ideal (as I suspect is the case with the Wide Lane site).

Thanks David :D - This year I have found larvae in numbers without too much trouble. Although well camouflaged I have found the mature larvae (in May) easier to locate than eggs. My advice is don't give up.

Thanks Ernie & Nick :D :D - Yes it is very sad when this happens. I am sure living where you are Ernie that you have driven past this tree many times. I am not sure of the best course of action where DED is concerned, perhaps this is something I should make myself expert in. I think that the recognised strategy in areas where it is managed well (Brighton & Hove for instance) is to remove the tree as soon as DED is apparent and burn it on site. Whilst this is ok where White-Letter Hairstreak is not an uncommon butterfly, I think that in most situations the priority is to plant disease resistant Elms as soon as possible to get them established so the butterflies have somewhere to go. I know the Sussex branch are active on this front. Just read Jamie Burstons informative pieces on the branch website and on his Personal Diary. I also know that Andrew Brookes from Hants & IOW branch is very active in this area.

David M

Post by David M »

Paul Harfield wrote:Thanks David :D - This year I have found larvae in numbers without too much trouble. Although well camouflaged I have found the mature larvae (in May) easier to locate than eggs. My advice is don't give up.
My problem, Paul, is that I don't really have any local populations to study. Last year I found one about 15 miles away but I'm always out of the country for the latter third of May when the larvae will be reaching full maturity.

WLH really isn't a common species round the Swansea area, more's the pity. :(

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

I have been rather caught up in life for the last few weeks, I am sure we have all been there. Although I have managed to get out and see butterflies, the one thing that has had to give was keeping my diary going. Hence why it appears I had curtailed my account of WLH doings mid flow. I shall shortly continue where I left off with hopefully some of the more interesting posts.

I now have a bit of a backlog of things to post about. So just to ease myself back in gently here is some of my more recent doings:

Sunday 30.9.2018 & 7.10.2018 Barton Meadows Nature Reserve. Nr Winchester

This site is on the outskirts of Winchester close to the controversial Barton Farm Housing development. It is a new site for me this year discovered whilst out searching for (and finding) White Letter Hairstreak. Back in July, as well as the Hairstreaks, I found several Clouded Yellows flying here. So for the last 2 sundays I have returned to see if I could find any offspring of those Clouded Yellows.
Part of the Barton Meadows Nature Reserve
Part of the Barton Meadows Nature Reserve
P1180350.JPG
30.9.2018 Painted Lady. Shortly before both my batteries gave out
30.9.2018 Painted Lady. Shortly before both my batteries gave out
30.9.2018 Common Blue. I managed this on my phone, but it does not really convey the freshness of this individual.
30.9.2018 Common Blue. I managed this on my phone, but it does not really convey the freshness of this individual.
On my first visit (30.9.2018) I arrived just as the sun disappeared. Don't you just hate it when that happens :( . It was still a worthwhile visit though. No Clouded Yellows, but a single Painted Lady and several freshly emerged 3rd brood male Common Blues. Unfortunately, after getting a couple of shots of the Painted Lady both my camera batteries were flat :oops: .
7.10.2018 This was the only Clouded Yellow shot I got
7.10.2018 This was the only Clouded Yellow shot I got
7.10.18 Female Common Blues have been a constant delight all year. These two demonstrating that they continue to be so into October
7.10.18 Female Common Blues have been a constant delight all year. These two demonstrating that they continue to be so into October
P1180396.JPG
I did not notice when I posted this there is something lurking close by!
I did not notice when I posted this there is something lurking close by!
P1180387.JPG
Last Sunday (7.10.2018) my timing was better, as were the weather conditions. At least 3 Clouded Yellows were seen which all seemed to be males. True to form they were in view on many occasions but with very limited opportunity for photos (or maybe I am too slow :lol: ). I managed just one shot which luckily was in focus. Also seen were 2 very fresh looking Peacocks, 2 Red Admirals, 2 Small Whites, several 3rd brood Common Blues and a single Brown Argus.
7.10.2018 Red Admiral
7.10.2018 Red Admiral
7.10.2018 This was the only Brown Argus I saw. Surprisingly fresh for October
7.10.2018 This was the only Brown Argus I saw. Surprisingly fresh for October
7.10.2018 One of 2 very fresh looking Peacocks seen
7.10.2018 One of 2 very fresh looking Peacocks seen
I also popped in again earlier this afternoon, but conditions were not good for butterfly photography. It was very blustery but with some sun. The Clouded Yellows were still present as well as more fresh Peacocks and Common Blues.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Some beautiful fresh specimens there, Paul. Particularly the female Common Blues.
It is also good to see fresh Peacocks, Red Admirals etc. around at the moment after
an almost absence of that family during the Summer.
Looking forward to your WLH. report.

Great images,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a brilliantly fresh Brown Argus Paul, a 3rd brooder? :D :mrgreen: I know what you mean about Common Blue females - they've shown a brilliant range in variation this year, the last one you feature is a beaut :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Those are remarkably fresh specimens for the time of year, Paul. I assumed at first you were catching up with posts from August and was stunned to find you had seen these on 7th October!!

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks Trevor, Wurzel & David :D .
I will now continue from where I left off in August..

White-Letter Hairstreak - 2018 - Part 3

24.6.2018 Curdridge B3035 Botley Road (SU53931562) - This site is the one that perhaps gave me most satisfaction this year. This was one of the first Elms to go on my list when I started looking several years ago. Even then I was convinced it looked ideal for White-Letter Hairstreak. However, it is an extremely awkward location to get to. The nearest place to park is half a mile away, but the the road is fast, winding and narrow with no verge to speak of and the walk along it is not for the feint hearted. I had previously walked from Bishops Waltham along a footpath, but that was in winter, was difficult to follow, involved crossing a river and took me an hour. This year I decided to grit my teeth, put on my Hi-Vis, take my life into my own hands and walk along the road. It was not quite as bad as I was expecting. It was well worth the effort and there is conveniently room to stand and observe off the road.
24.6.2018 This Elm that overhangs the road at Curdridge, has taken me while to get to. The picture below shows the smaller trees just out of frame on the far right of the first photo. That is where most of the Hairstreak activity seemed to be focused.
24.6.2018 This Elm that overhangs the road at Curdridge, has taken me while to get to. The picture below shows the smaller trees just out of frame on the far right of the first photo. That is where most of the Hairstreak activity seemed to be focused.
Once at the location I realised I was perhaps there a bit too early in the day, but eventually butterfly activity started to get going and my hunch had paid off. I spent 40 minutes here (11.10 -11.50) and recorded a total of 7 individuals including 1 egglaying female. As with several other sites this year, the primary large tree that had initially got my attention was curiously not the focus of the Hairstreak activity. There seemed to be more action going on around smaller trees which, at this site, I had not been aware of.
24.6.2018 Curdridge - Another brief glimpse of a female White-Letter Hairstreak at work
24.6.2018 Curdridge - Another brief glimpse of a female White-Letter Hairstreak at work
P1170401.JPG
22.6.2018 Stoneham Lane/Monks Brook playing fields (SU440167) - I have visited this site several times over the last few years and not seen White-Letter Hairstreak. To me it looked perfect for them which is why I have persisted in trying to find them here. Stoneham Lane is a winding, narrow road on the outskirts of Southampton close to Junction 6 of the M27. It is flanked with many small to medium sized Elms, but much of it is either shaded or inaccessible. However, at this particular location the sunny side of the trees is conveniently adjacent to some long since disused playing fields. This site took some effort, 2 visits in fact. The first on the 11.6.2018 was unproductive. I then returned on the 22.6.2018 (12.00 - 1.00) in fact I almost gave up on this occasion as well, but eventually a few brief flutterings were enough to confirm White Letter Hairstreak.
11.6.2018 Stoneham Lane - This photo was taken at a visit early in the season when I did not actually see any White-Letter Hairstreak. I was to have a successful visit 11 days later.
11.6.2018 Stoneham Lane - This photo was taken at a visit early in the season when I did not actually see any White-Letter Hairstreak. I was to have a successful visit 11 days later.
This is the depressing sight that greeted me when I drove past the same site a few days ago.
This is the depressing sight that greeted me when I drove past the same site a few days ago.
I have highlighted this site not because of what I saw in June, but because of what I spotted a couple of days ago as drove past. My heart sank when I saw the unmistakeable signs of 'development'. The site has sadly been completely cleared. It would appear that the Elms have been left, at least for the moment so hopefully the White-Letter Hairstreak will survive here. It does not look like I will be able to effectively monitor this site in the future. The most saddening aspect is all the other species that thrived here that will now be lost. There were good colonies of Small, Essex and Large Skipper, Marbled White, Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper etc etc. I suppose this could loosely be described as a 'brownfield site' being previously used as playing fields which have been left to grow wild for some years though there has never been any buildings here as far as I know. Because I tend to prefer to find new locations which are often little oasis of wildness rather than nature reserves, I run into this scenario all too often and I find it quite heartbreaking and frustrating.

David M

Post by David M »

Good report, Paul, and those sites do look appetising. Such a shame about the last one though. More concrete, less green space...how much longer can it be sustained?

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

White-Letter Hairstreak - 2018 - Part 4

Egglaying 23.6.2018

So having been totally unprepared for my first glimpse of egglaying at Wide Lane on 22.6.2018, I set off the following day specifically to record that one event. Having found so many larvae there earlier in the year, my main study site near Southwick was the obvious destination. Between 11.30 and 1.30 I was treated to a dazzling display. With my head nestled amongst the leaves I was able to watch at quite close quarters as each female fluttered down and started her routine. It was quite difficult to keep each butterfly in view as she went about her business and It was even more difficult to keep a camera focussed, but eventually I was able to capture the moment.
All this egglaying activity was located on the branches in this photo
All this egglaying activity was located on the branches in this photo
23.6.2018 Trying to keep track of each female as she weaved amongst the leaves was quite difficult at times
23.6.2018 Trying to keep track of each female as she weaved amongst the leaves was quite difficult at times
P1170198.JPG
23.6.2018 Oviposturing or ovipositing?
23.6.2018 Oviposturing or ovipositing?
Each female would spend several minutes following what appeared to be a completely random, meandering route amongst the leaves, sometimes doubling back on herself, revisiting a spot several times and occasionally pausing for rest on a leaf. As with other species there seemed to be more oviposturing going on than ovipositing, but It was impossible to examine every spot without causing disturbance. In fact I witnessed several different females visiting this same group of branches on several different days. At one point I had 2 females down together just a few inches apart.
23.6.2018 Female White-Letter Hairstreak egglaying
23.6.2018 Female White-Letter Hairstreak egglaying
23.6.2018 The resulting White-Letter Hairstreak ovum a few minutes old.
23.6.2018 The resulting White-Letter Hairstreak ovum a few minutes old.
7.7.2018 and then there were 2
7.7.2018 and then there were 2
This particular location is interesting as the branches never really get full sun. It is fairly shaded by the upper branches of this and surrounding trees. Even on a day that was extremely hot in the midday sun my viewpoint as an observer was pleasantly shaded. At one point whilst I was observing the Hairstreaks another butterfly fluttered in, settled and stayed there out of the sun under a leaf for as long as I was there. Maybe these very things are an indication why this particular spot is attractive to the female WLH for egglaying.
7.7.2018  2 weeks on egglaying females were much more ragged but still busy on the same branch.
7.7.2018 2 weeks on egglaying females were much more ragged but still busy on the same branch.
23.6.2018 After egglaying this female was noted to do a 'wing-roll' immediately before flying off
23.6.2018 After egglaying this female was noted to do a 'wing-roll' immediately before flying off
23.6.2018 Female White-Letter Hairstreak at rest
23.6.2018 Female White-Letter Hairstreak at rest
On successive visits I did quite a thorough search for eggs. This is of course much more difficult when the tree is in full leaf. I was surprised to find that the egg I had captured being laid on 23.6.2018 had now been joined by a second egg stacked adjacent. I was also able to locate a stack of 3 eggs close by as well as many singles. I have no idea whether these were laid by the same female or 3 different ones. Most of the eggs I found were on terminal buds which on Wych Elm are almost always concealed by the overlapping leaf edge. I did find one egg that was in neither of the normal locations but half way up a twig. All of the eggs I have found have been marked and were all still present the last time I checked on 19.9.2018. Time will tell if they all survive to next spring.
24.7.2018 3 White-Letter Hairstreak eggs stacked together
24.7.2018 3 White-Letter Hairstreak eggs stacked together
4.8.2018 White-Letter Hairstreak ovum in an atypical location
4.8.2018 White-Letter Hairstreak ovum in an atypical location
4.8.2018 Typical 'leaf-scar' location but this ovum is completely empty/infertile.
4.8.2018 Typical 'leaf-scar' location but this ovum is completely empty/infertile.
P1180180.JPG (50.36 KiB) Viewed 4314 times

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some excellent observations there Paul :D

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic observations Paul :D I wonder if the wing roll was the equivalent of a quick spruce up once the hard work was done? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks Bugboy and Wurzel for your comments :D

So before my final White-Letter Hairstreak post here are a few bits and bobs from the last couple of weeks...

Sunday 21.10.2018 Nr Seafield Park, Hill Head

My brother and I walked from Gilkicker to Meon Shore on this beautiful October day. It really was a gorgeous with a temperature at midday of perhaps 20+ degrees. There were people with picnics on the beach, even swimming in the sea and the promenade was busy. I have always been completely mystified by the attraction of beach huts, but on a day like this the appeal was obvious.
Seafield Park itself was completely devoid of butterflies...
Seafield Park itself was completely devoid of butterflies...
...but the scrubby area between Seafield Park and the beach was much more productive
...but the scrubby area between Seafield Park and the beach was much more productive
We started a bit early for butterflies but by the time we neared the end of our walk I was starting to see the odd Red Admiral. as we walked along the promenade toward the end of our walk we were greeted by our parents who had come down to meet us and get some fresh air. Behind the promenade I spotted an interesting area of scrub with profuse Hawkweed growing, it looked ripe for investigation. We walked mum and dad back to the car and they took my brother back leaving me to my own devices. So before going home I popped back to the area I had seen earlier. It was not long before the half expected sight of at least 2 Clouded Yellows brought a smile to my face. There were also several small whites and at least one Small Copper present. Then a quick look across the road in Seafield Park nature area resulted in no butterflies at all. I always find it slightly amusing when the butterflies choose to avoid the nature reserve and occupy scrubby area next door. Butterflies having the last laugh maybe :lol: .....
21.10.2018 One of at least 2 Clouded Yellows seen
21.10.2018 One of at least 2 Clouded Yellows seen
21.10.2018 Red Admiral near the beach
21.10.2018 Red Admiral near the beach
21.10.2018 This Small Copper was the only one I saw
21.10.2018 This Small Copper was the only one I saw
Saturday 27.10.2108 In The Garden

The last couple of days had seen a complete change in the weather. In fact it was 13-14 degrees cooler than it was the previous Sunday. However, at midday I was aware of a fluttering outside the window. To my great surprise there was a Red Admiral there. I watched as it nervously investigated various parts of the garden paying particular attention to my washing line full of dark washing and an artificial hanging basket in the coolest part of the garden. It did not take nectar or settle anywhere for long (just long enough to be photographed) and seemed very jittery and on edge seemingly not being able to decide what it wanted. Soon the temperature dropped and it was off fluttering around my wifes artificial hanging basket again, on which it eventually settled. It is still there as I write this! It is right outside my kitchen back door and lounge window so I can see it without going outside. I seem to recall reporting before of Red Admirals finding precarious spots to roost in my garden, I wonder how long this one will stay here.
27.10.2018 Red Admiral in the garden briefly settled
27.10.2018 Red Admiral in the garden briefly settled
Red Admiral evolving to use plastic flowers as a roosting place! It is still there now but tucked right in
Red Admiral evolving to use plastic flowers as a roosting place! It is still there now but tucked right in
P1180510.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Very interesting observations of White-letter Hairstreaks and their habitat, Paul :D you've obviously put in a lot of time and effort on this!
Some nice late season finds too :) It's always sad when another site disappears under a housing estate - as per your previous post.

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"I always find it slightly amusing when the butterflies choose to avoid the nature reserve and occupy scrubby area next door. Butterflies having the last laugh maybe :lol: ....."It's all a secret ploy by the butterflies to get us humans to expand the nature reserves - and a bloody good idea :wink: :lol:
Great shots :D and the Red Admiral is showing a positive use of plastic :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”