Butterflies of the Doubs and the Jura.

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Medard

Butterflies of the Doubs and the Jura.

Post by Medard »

Visit to the Doubs May 2016.

Part one.

The Doubs and the Jura are perhaps not best known as a popular tourist destination, if Sun and Sangia is your preference it's not for you but for Scenic beauty, Comte cheese,and butterflies, a relaxing location away from the crowds it's perfect.

Plans were made in the hopes of seeing Coenonympha hero a butterfly that is listed as critically endangered ,one of France's rarest butterflies.

We made our base camp near Pontarlier at Camping de la Forêt at Levier.

The rain Gods were playing games sending daily storms to annoy the travellers so little progress was made looking for the target species, "patience is a virtue possess it if you can" was often quoted to me by my family elders and patience was certainly needed, finally sunshine arrived and the search was on, the first species to look for was the very pretty Violet copper, I had previously seen this attractive small copper in the Pyrenees, here in the Doubs they seemed to be more plentiful but squelching around their flooded marshland habitat was extremely tiring, the worst was yet to come.

Habitat of the Violet copper
JUN_5591.jpg
29 Violet Copper (Lycaena helle) 2.jpg
31 Violet Copper (Lycaena helle)5.jpg
We then drove further north to look for C hero, the rain had returned, day after day, I was now thinking my carpentry skills would be needed to build an Ark, to pass the time as we watched the falling rain I imagined butterflies flying into my Ark two by two.

The rain finally stopped and I was now able to explore the site for my hero, I was soon to find that a Herculean effort was needed to navigate the bog, no sign was there of any hero, however Woodland ringlets were present and also surprisingly Grizzled skippers not so surprising Marsh Fritillarys, very appropriately named for this swampland, the rain returned, why are we here screamed my long suffering wife I want to go shopping, a break was need so we returned to Pontalier.
3 Marsh Fritillary (Euphydryas aurinia) 2.jpg
With a return to more stable weather my wife granted me one last visit, we returned, no hero was seen all morning, a break for lunch, one last desperate effort was called for,with water lapping close to the tops of my wellies once more into the bog, suddenly there he was, my hero newly emerged and he was in love having found a beautiful heroine,they happily posed for some photos, I then left the young couple to their nuptials and returned to the van, my wife seeing my smug grin, we can go now ? this was cause for a celebration upon our return to Camping de la forêt.
35 Scarce Heath (Coenonympha hero) 2 .jpg
34 Scarce Heath (Coenonympha hero) 1.jpg
More pictures from the Doubs here https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p29 ... #h3859144b

Part two, we return to the Doubs.
Attachments
35 Scarce Heath (Coenonympha hero) 2.jpg
petesmith

Re: Butterflies of the Doubs and the Jura.

Post by petesmith »

It is indeed a fantastic part of France, James! I visited last year in late May/early June, with the same target species as you, and loved the place. The weather is a bit of an issue out there, but the habitat is very special, and as you say, the Comte...I still dream of tasting it again one day. The stuff you can buy over here is just nowhere near as good.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

thanks for sharing your successful quest with us Medard.

a few years ago it was possible to fly from Cambridge airport to Dole in the Jura. i spent a pleasant week or so camping near the Foret de Chaux.

Charles
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent work, James. As Pete says, this is an unpredictable area of France to explore due to its climate but there are some iconic species to be found there.

One day I'm sure I'll catch up with Scarce Heath, but in the meantime I'm just in awe of just how beautiful those Violet Coppers are. In the Pyrenees, the violet suffusion isn't anything like as marked.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Sounds like a great place
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

It is a very strange area, very cool and damp. As such, it has a number of highly localised species that don't occur elsewhere (or only in small pockets) in France such as Cranberry Fritillary (which I have never seen as I haven't been in that region at quite the right time) - which often flies in company with Moorland Clouded Yellow, Violet Copper as we have seen - and as I and Pete have separately found flies in other suitable locations in the region, so seems to be spreading its range. In the main location for Violet Copper, I have also seen Chequered Skipper, Sooty Copper, and in the field opposite, Large Heath which is becoming very localised in France.

In the same region, there are good spots for Dusky Large Blue, Lesser Marbled Fritillary, Purple-edge Copper, Dukes, Chestnut Heath, and many others.

When we have spent time in that region, we have stayed in the Relais des Salines: https://www.chambresdhotes.org/Detailed/11312.html
It is an interesting experience - the walls are about 5.m thick and they have a log fire burning even in July. They offer a meal - which has never changed in composition or price over many years - of ham cut off the bone, a huge bowl of saute potatoes and a bowl of salad, followed by ice cream (Vienetta).

Roger
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Great photos Medard.
Out-of-the-ordinary species.
I must get there sometime.
And that hostelry sounds welcoming, Roger.

Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Roger Gibbons wrote:..When we have spent time in that region, we have stayed in the Relais des Salines: https://www.chambresdhotes.org/Detailed/11312.html
It is an interesting experience - the walls are about 5.m thick and they have a log fire burning even in July. They offer a meal - which has never changed in composition or price over many years - of ham cut off the bone, a huge bowl of saute potatoes and a bowl of salad, followed by ice cream (Vienetta).
I remember you telling me about this place, Roger. :)

It MUST be chilly if they're running a fire even in July. Definitely one of those regions you need to wait for the weather forecast to give the all clear before you travel.

Return to “Overseas”