Common Blue

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
David Tipping

Common Blue

Post by David Tipping »

I took these shots of common blue on the banks of the West Fen Drain, a couple of miles from Boston, where I also had a passing glimpse of a clouded yellow.
Some of you guys will be able to pick holes in the photos, but bearing in mind they're taken with a £200 compact camera, I think they're not bad!
DJT
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I really like the first shot, David. I'm a big fan of shots that show both upperside and underside!

Cheers,

- Pete
eccles

Post by eccles »

I like shot 2 better, but it's just personal preference. It just goes to show what can be done with a relatively modest camera though doesn't it?
Can I suggest that for display on this board you resize your images before posting to say, 800 x 600, so that they can be displayed on a normal monitor?
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Thanks eccles, you can certainly suggest it but can you tell me how to do it?!! Excuse my ignorance - I'm self taught on computers and still have a lot to learn!
DJT
eccles

Post by eccles »

Do you have a paint program such as photoshop etc? If you don't know, check out the cd supplied with your camera. Most such programs will allow a resize or resample.
Oy

Post by Oy »

Irfanview is a great freebie that would do.

http://www.irfanview.com

I use it a lot - even thoughI have Photoshop CS2. For viewing and batch processing of resize/reseample it's VERY good!
Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time.
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

I've got ArcSoft Photo Studio and I've been having a play around. If I click 'Edit' and then 'Image Size' I can reduce the width and hight, which for the first picture is currently 1662 pixels by 1188 pixels. Will this do the trick, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
DJT
eccles

Post by eccles »

Sounds like you're on the right track. Look for a tickbox or similar to maintain proportion to avoid having to work out the right h/v pixel count.
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Right then, I'll try the first image again and see if it works!
Seems better judging by my tests. Thanks eccles.
DJT
Martin

Post by Martin »

Works a treat David. :D

Martin.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I use iPhoto to catalogue and crop my pics (it makes it really easy to set or keep aspect ratio)

I use Adobe Photoshop for editing, but to be honest I'm not very good at it (I think I need a crashcourse!)

On the PC I used to use Paint Shop Pro, great program!
Wayne

Return to “Photography”