Pink larva

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
eccles

Pink larva

Post by eccles »

I snapped these six spot burnets before noticing the pink larva feeding on the flower pollen. Does anyone know what it is?
Thanks.
DSC00632.jpg
DSC00632.jpg (112.98 KiB) Viewed 943 times
IAC

Re: Pink larva

Post by IAC »

Hi Eccles,
Somewhere along the lines of a Chamomile Shark, not to sure about the colour....they do have variations, never seen a pinkun before.
Cheers IAC.
eccles

Post by eccles »

Thanks IAC. Lots of views but only the one comment so either everyone else agrees or they're flumoxed. :D
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Not sure if this helps - but this looks like the flower of Devil's-bit Scabious (Succisa pratensis) to me.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
IAC

Post by IAC »

Hi eccles,
In 2006 we had an invasion of Chamomile Shark on my patch. The larvae fed on Scented Mayweed, chewing the yellow core out, then moving on to the next. The markings look very like Chamomile Shark , however, that pink colouring is strange. There are colour variations...having done a little web research, I did not find any pink ones.
Pete pointed out the flowering plant clue.....if it is Chamomile Shark , that is not the type of flower it favours.
I have to say eccles, that it is the only one I can think of, I thought that maybe we had one or two moth experts among us.....maybe they are on summer hols, so until a better suggestion than this appears, I will settle for Chamomile Shark.
Cheers IAC.
eccles

Post by eccles »

I don't think it's devil's bit scabious - I think DBS is darker, and besides it's flowering a bit early. My guess is it's field scabious.
IAC

Post by IAC »

Its me again eccles,
Just thougt of an explanation as to why it is pink in colour.......it is possible that having climbed to the top of this Scabious, it has just realised that it made a monumental error, and is a wee bit embarassed with itself,and gone pink.........maybe not, sorry about that :D
IAC.
IAC

Post by IAC »

Yes me again,
Just to say , I think you are right about Field Scabious eccles.......however its still the wrong plant for Chamomile Shark.
Cheers IAC.
eccles

Post by eccles »

Possibly it's picked up the pigment from eating the pollen heads and gone to the next instar with its new colouration. It was definitely eating the pollen heads.
IAC

Post by IAC »

That is an alltogether more thouroughly sensible suggestion than mine, it looks to be about half sized as it is , they grow quite large. Yes, that makes sense........I still can find no evdence of them moving away from the Compositae family of plants.
IAC.
Deano

Post by Deano »

Hello eccles
Just a wild stab in the dark,but your pink larva looks like some sort of Hoverfly larva - what do you reckon?
Regards
Deano
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Deano wrote:Hello eccles
Just a wild stab in the dark,but your pink larva looks like some sort of Hoverfly larva - what do you reckon?
Regards
Deano
Those were my initial thoughts ~ the elongated tapered appearance I've seen in other Hoverfly larvae. I also see a slight transparent quality ~ another feature of some Dipterous larvae....
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Piers

Post by Piers »

Sorry, but certainly not a fly larva. My guess is a geometrid of some sort, but not dipterous.

Felix.
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

I think Felix is on the right lines. I'd say it looks like a pug moth larva. It's not a million miles from Lime-speck Pug (Eupithecia centaureata) which feeds on scabious flowers. However, I'm not sure that my opinion will carry much weight after making a balls up of that dragonfly ID this week... :oops:
Chris

Post by Chris »

I thought Lime-Specked Pug too!! But didn't say anything cos not overly confident... I just had a quick trawl of the UK Moths website
With Kind Regards

Chris
http://thrintoftpatch.blogspot.co.uk
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

eccles

Post by eccles »

That one looks a very close match, Matsukaze. Thanks all for the comments.

Return to “Identification”